decor8: Welcome!

January 9, 2006

Hello! My name is Holly Becker and I’m currently enrolled in a local design school pursuing a certificate in Interior Design and enjoy it very much. I also have clients that I work with in Boston, currently a couple in a new loft, a single professional who just relocated here from Chicago, and another single professional who owns a condo in the South End. It’s fun working with them, but I need something more because I have so many great things that I find while working on these projects and I have no clue where or how to organize all the great things I come across in the world of art and design. So this blog is going to be a spot for me to catalog them and also to reach out to my clients and friends and those of you out there who are looking for a bit of inspiration and insight into what goes on in the life of a designer, though I’m not one yet but I hope to be a designer or at least a decorator or stylist. I was born to do this, some people can dance, I can decorate. I believe you can go to school to learn it, but for some genetics play a larger role and for me transforming spaces into supportive, positive environments is hard-wired into my DNA. I hope you enjoy this blog and if you have any questions or are looking for someone to work with you in your home (and you live in the Boston are), please drop me a line at decor8blog AT yahoo.com

decor8: Welcome!

You Might Also Like

• Reply leaca February 20, 2009 at 2:08 am

look how far you have come. good for you.

leacas last blog post: simply chocolate

• Reply rowena February 20, 2009 at 11:37 am

thanks for pointing us back here. I definitely overthink, and so don’t get started. I always want things perfect, so don’t get started. I psych myself out, so don’t get started.

Get started!

rowenas last blog post: Inspiration Lost and Found

• Reply Rachel B. February 20, 2009 at 2:20 pm

It was awesome of you to show us all this post. Thanks for your generosity to the rest of us- you have a way of making people feel like they belong.

Rachel B.s last blog post: Etsy Love: Wren and Chickadee

• Reply Mariss February 20, 2009 at 7:04 pm

It’s great! I love it :) You rock!

Marisss last blog post: Oh, February!

• Reply Kim @ The TomKat Studio February 20, 2009 at 7:08 pm

You are such an inspiration! Congratulations on your success!

Kim @ The TomKat Studios last blog post: Heather Bailey – Creative Genius Among Us

• Reply Laura Aiken February 21, 2009 at 10:28 pm

oh Holly this is great!!!!!!!! Thank YOU! You have come a long way girlie.

Laura Aikens last blog post: MOSAIC LEVEL II – MOSAIC DESIGN NEW starting in May 2009

• Reply r8ermom February 22, 2009 at 1:23 am

I am way guilty of overthinking! Thank you so much for pointing us back here to your first post. It is helpful to see that it’s more important to launch and think along the way, rather than overanalyze so much that we psych ourselves out of whatever we wanted and never do anything. I always find you so inspirational because you keep it real. Your honesty and courage in revealing youself are truly humbling. Thank you, Holly. This series is awesome and I look forward to it every Thursday.

• Reply Chloe Cumbow February 22, 2009 at 1:15 pm

wow. Thank You for sending us back here. Not your fault, but somehow I had a different impression of you, maybe my assumption (& ya know how that can be) from the success and response to your site. Love, Chloe C.

• Reply Kara February 23, 2009 at 7:10 pm

I love that every comment on this post is from the Creativity Series post (3 years after the original post). It underscores your point so perfectly, and motivates me to “stop, drop and roll with” my own half-baked/over-done plans!

Karas last blog post: Wonderfully Long Weekend

• Reply Alaina @ LiveCreatingYourself January 8, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Oh how I love reading blog’s first posts. Couldn’t agree more about the design being wired in your DNA. You either love it or hate it, can do it or can’t. Congrats on all you’ve accomplished in these few years!

.-= Alaina @ LiveCreatingYourself´s last blog ..If my last name was Trump, I’d have a wedding like this. =-.

• Reply frauheuberg January 20, 2010 at 2:20 pm

oh, holly, its fine to read your first step into your blog…;)…wau…how amazing…so lon ago, or…so now i will go to your podcast…;)…see you in the course again…

• Reply Ana January 20, 2010 at 5:41 pm

This is so great to see where you started and to see where you are now. It really gives us a feel that we can also do something different. And your classes are really helping. I feel different already! Thanks a million for this great oportunity!

• Reply Hayley Blease January 20, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Wow, I have enjoyed your first post as much as I have your recent posts…your writing is captivating! Well done on all you have accomplished! x

• Reply Down and Out Chic March 30, 2010 at 5:22 pm

As I’m writing this I’m listening to your recent podcast. Wow! You are definitely a forerunner and an inspiration in this field. Thank you for writing a consistent, honest blog that’s worth admiring.
    .-= Down and Out Chic´s last blog ..An interior and a mood =-.

• Reply Dana (LeiLiLaLoo) September 8, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Holly, thank you so much for the insight in (a bit of) who you are. Through your podcast. This first post is also very insightful. Taking such a small step and being where you are today….Thank you for the inspiration and motivation that shines through that.

• Reply janis - pinecone camp September 8, 2010 at 10:57 pm

I’m listening to you as I post this comment as well. I can’t believe all that you’ve accomplished in such a short amount of time. Very inspiring!

• Reply Violet September 8, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Awww, thanks for linking this. Sometimes when I look back on my first few blog posts, I have to laugh. I am by no way a professional blogger now, but I do feel as though I have come a long way. Thanks so much for sharing! xoxo

• Reply Nicole @ Chic and Cheap Nursery September 9, 2010 at 4:18 am

Very cute! It’s always fun to look back at the beginning and see how far you’ve come :-)

• Reply Jessica September 9, 2010 at 5:12 am

As someone else mentioned, I am so guilty of taking myself way too seriously and try to make everything I write sound like it came from a Pulitzer Prize winning author. You’ve reminded me how vital it is to just be real, be who I am, and be proud of that!

• Reply Glenda Childers September 9, 2010 at 5:22 am

I am imagining how fun it will be in five years to look back at my first blog post. I barely knew how to turn the computer on . . .

• Reply Michelle September 16, 2010 at 3:48 am

Wow Holly,

Totally professional right from the start. In the manner that you do so well, that has enabled you to where you are now. Written from the heart and totally upfront with the truth.

x Michelle

• Reply Claudia September 21, 2010 at 5:03 pm

that’s great…just jump right in and don’t look back–that’s what I did and I know my journey, although unique to me, will be so much fun and challenging professionally. The number one ingredient is believe in who you are and the second is be kind no matter what. You ooze both of these elements and your cool vibe is such an inspiration! Thanks for all the stuff you have shared in this class (and Leslie too)–I just got remarried on 9/10 and we have 5 kids between us and I’m trying to catch up…gotta go to BYW!

• Reply linden March 2, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Thanks so much for sharing Holly. I loved seeing your very first post. I like your direct yet personal approach on your blog. I have found so many things to check out from your blog. It’s nice to hear about your Story. My blog is about Story Medicine…the basis being that “we all have a story”. I’m loving reading everything you’ve given us so far!

• Reply Shari March 2, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Wow! Yes, humble beginnings can lead to such huge success!! Thank you for reminding us, your students, that it doesn’t have to start with a big bang, and that doors can open for us if we stay true to ourselves.

Thank you.

• Reply Arianna March 2, 2011 at 7:32 pm

This is so cute to see how you started! x

• Reply Shop Sweet Things with Jeanne March 2, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Love your cute, first blog! So honest and personable … I almost feel bad that I didn’t make an introductory post when I first started my blog. I kinda jumped right into it without being too personable; I think yours serve a great inspiration to me by being personal but yet still professional. Thanks for bringing us back to here.

• Reply Kristyne March 3, 2011 at 4:49 am

It’s clear to me that you really know who you are inside. You comes across in this first post with the same open, kind, focused and inspirational characteristics as you share with your audience today.

• Reply Desha March 3, 2011 at 4:51 am

wow. I just listened to your podcast and read your first blog, and feel so lucky to get that story. I relate to so much of it, that I wish I could just invite you over for tea and talk… Desha

• Reply Monica March 3, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Thanks for pointing us here. Wow, that was just a bit over 5 years ago. Not really all that long ago if you consider where you are now. Quite amazing actually. Nice to read that your voice has really remained a constant in your blog.

• Reply Laurie Ashbach March 3, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Thanks for your encouragement. I appreciate your honesty, transparency and belief in yourself. It’s contagious!

• Reply Manu Mitre March 3, 2011 at 10:53 pm

It made me cry (in a very good way)… thanks!

• Reply Vanessa March 4, 2011 at 2:37 am

Thank you so much Holly for sharing this and most of all for sharing your knowledge with us (not many people are prepared or want to share knowledge). It’s just amazing how things are getting clearer and clearer and we are only in the first week of class. I am so grateful I’ve signed for this class.

• Reply Courtney March 4, 2011 at 6:48 pm

This is so inspiring and you deserve everything you have worked so hard to achieve! Congrats! ( I officially have goosebumps…) :)

• Reply Ange @ GnomeAngel March 5, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I love that this reads like a mini manifesto. That you set out the reasons why you were blogging, what you wanted to achieve, why you believe you’re set apart from the rest and how you’re going to achieve it. Love it.

• Reply Jane March 7, 2011 at 3:31 am

Thanks *so* much for sharing this with us, Holly. It’s comforting to know that from such small beginnings, you managed to parlay your blog into something much more expansive, cohesive, innovative and just plain delightful. Congratulations! It’s a great encouragement to us newbie bloggers. J x

• Reply heidi leon March 9, 2011 at 9:45 am

Holly, even on your beginnings your writing was showing bits of your strong voice, personality and values plus the determination towards your success.

Of course you deserve every little piece of that success, you have worked (and continue to do so) with so much passion. Oh, and you share that passion and knowledge with your readers and students!.

Thank you. You are an inspiration.

• Reply irene June 30, 2011 at 7:40 am

you really are an inspiration. thank you :)

• Reply Aina October 12, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Thank you Holly! It means that everybody can start a new life with a real passion, just try it!

• Reply Allison October 12, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Holly thanks for sharing this. Secret squirrel — I just sighed a huge sigh OF RELIEF. Some days I feel like what am I doing? Am I even doing this right? There is no right, every post is a journey and a learning experience and it was so great to see that you started somewhere too!

• Reply alison abbott October 12, 2011 at 11:31 pm

This is so great to read again. I always like to visit a blogger’s first post when I discover their blog. It’s also more than a little refreshing to see that ‘comments’ took a while to come when you first started. BYW is already inspiring me to reach new heights.

• Reply Wahkuna October 13, 2011 at 5:10 am

It’s so inspiring to see your beginnings. You definitely had a clear vision of where you wanted to go with your blog and your talents from the start. I admire that a lot! Thank you for sending us back here, to remind us of where it all began. :-)

• Reply Krishann October 13, 2011 at 6:56 am

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. It is very inspiring to see where you started and where you are today. It was evident from this post that you have a gift! I can relate to feeling like something is a part of who you are and love that you expressed how you feel about designing! Again thank you for this and congratulations on having your dream of becoming a designer come true!

• Reply Lelanie October 13, 2011 at 1:29 pm

thank you very much for letting us into your world. I see so much of myself in all this.

It gives me great hope to know what is possible.

• Reply Lana Waller October 13, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Hi Holly,
    Thank you for sharing.

• Reply Tra Wright Knox October 13, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Hey Holly! Thanks for sharing! Really,really appreciate it!

• Reply Mary C. Nasser October 14, 2011 at 1:02 am

Thank you for sharing your very first blog post with us, Holly!
    I really did enjoy reading it and found it inspirational, too!

• Reply Mary Middleton Design October 19, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Wow great to see the “start”. I’m listening to your words as I read this and it’s all coming together for me

Mary Middleton Design

• Reply Hélène December 4, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Yessss !

Evening after evening, I read all the 675 pages of this blog !

I liked almost all the things you’ve presentated, thank you for such beautifull articles.

• Reply Gabriella Buckingham November 5, 2012 at 11:15 pm

This is lovely to read Holly. Your inner confidence shines through and I think that’s the key thing to making a successful blog or career isn’t it? Being sure of what you want to do. The thing I have most trouble with. Some of us are meant to meander perhaps! There’s a good name for a blog ‘Meandering Moll’ .
    So looking forward to meeting you tomorrow. I am taking a big bad to fit your book into. Gabs x

• Reply Oana December 11, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Aw, I just discovered your website, loved it, so now I started to read it from the very beginning. x

• Reply Kristen January 11, 2015 at 7:49 pm

What a humble beginning to such a successful blog. This is exactly what I wanted to see. As many have already mentioned above, the hardest part is getting started. This is true in all aspects of life – blogging, working out, doing all those pesky chores, etc. It’s nice to see that when you started this blog, you weren’t looking for perfect and just jumped right in. Kudos to you! It makes me enjoy this blog even more :)

• Reply decor8 January 11, 2015 at 8:03 pm

@Kristen – Thank you so much!!!!

• Reply arianna February 18, 2015 at 3:15 pm

I really would like to attend your design school but I live in Italy. Do you ve a youtube channel to do e-learning lessons by video?