Butterfield [Providence]

Over the weekend, we visited historical downtown Providence, RI and bumped into “Butterfield, a beautiful design store blending vintage reproductions with modern furnishings. It’s an eclectic, tasteful arrangement of all things beautiful.

Snobs? Not here. Two bright + friendly associates assisted us, sharing the story of Butterfield, raving over their products, showing us the John Derian collection, talking about Mitchell Gold furnishings with such enthusiasm that you felt inclined to purchase a sofa whether you needed one or not. It was great meeting a sales team that didn’t display attitude – but a friendly energy with an eagerness to please instead. What a refreshing change from the usual snobs you meet in upscale retail stores.

Butterfield is a design haven; it boasts lovely home decor items and furnishings amidst soaring ceilings, wood floors, brick exposure, and great music. The Burgess building, where they’re located, is the oldest surviving building on Westminster Street and was constructed in 1870, designed by architect George Waterman Cady. Butterfield is newly hatched, it opened in December ’05, so you can’t shop on their website yet, but if you plan to visit Providence, visit them — you won’t be able to restrain yourself from purchasing something lovely. My husband picked up a product from their men’s line, “Anthony Logistics “, and I grabbed some pretty matches with red coral on them from Homart ($3.50) and a package of file folders from Cavallini + Co ($13.50).

From now until 2/14, they’re having a delightful sale. Take 20% off all in-stock Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams furniture. Assorted gifts are also 10-20% off, like their John Derien collection (-10%). If you like the Cavallini + Co. folders, I’m sure you can contact the store directly to purchase. If not, check out Cavallini + Co. online for retail locations in your area.

Great store, exceptionally nice staff, and beautiful items. Shopping is like Butter….at Butterfields.

(Photos: TOP: Butterfield logo. Below: Cavallini + Co. birds with blue background (the folders I purchased.) + the Butterfield retail store interior.)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on January 31, 2006

1. susan commented
    January 31st, 2006 at 2:23pm

hey holly,
    what a great shop! i am inspired to visit it and check out the furniture.
    decided to blog it out here too…. just for artists though,
    check it out at artesprit,blogspot
    keep up the great finds!
    susan

2. Anonymous commented
    January 31st, 2006 at 2:47pm

I have those folders. They make me so happy..;

3. decor8 commented
    January 31st, 2006 at 3:21pm

Thanks Susan! Nice art blog!!! :)

4. decor8 commented
    January 31st, 2006 at 3:23pm

I know, they make me happy too! I think having pretty things in my home office inspire me to actually work! (smiling). Before I found nice file folders, I rubber stamped plain folders to give them some zing. Thank goodness I don’t have to do that anymore!

Other than Cavallini + Co. does anyone know of any other designer file folders?

holly

5. Frustrated customer commented
    February 12th, 2010 at 3:42pm

I bought furniture here and it’s now almost two months later and they still haven’t delivered. The worst part is that nobody bothered to call me and tell me that there was going to be a delay. Their products are lovely, but if you shop around you can find the same stuff at other places. Their customer service is the pits. Do yourself a favor and avoid the frustration of shopping here.