Lena Corwin [house call]

Welcome to a decor8 house call, a new addition to the decor8 website where readers and friends send in shots of their posh pads for our site. Our house calls are random so you never know when they’ll pop up! But, when they do, you’ll see the words [house call] in brackets next to the post title.

When I saw Lena’s pillows and read the article, “25 Shockingly Simple Ways to Makeover Your Home”, in the March 2006 issue of Glamour, I was all over it – her space totally spoke to me and I thought it would speak to all of you too. For one, the fab redo that the Glamour SWAT team did for Lena and Josh’s Brooklyn vintage modern townhouse was just terrific. Glamour offered tips on where to find special items that won’t throw you into the debt doghouse, which we’re all interested in! It was the one month that I read Glamour and found something design related that I could relate too. It was nearly a Domino magazine moment!

If the painting above Lena’s sofa looks familiar…I loved it so much when I saw the article that I instantly contacted the artist over the weekend, whom I featured earlier today (Elizabeth Schuppe). Then, I kept drooling over Lena’s pillows, and so I featured those, too. Lena and I were in contact a few days ago and today, she sent some amazing photos of her apartment and of her amazing art collection, too! I just had to share them with all of you.

Thank you so much Lena and Josh for allowing decor8 into your most amazing space. Your place is fabulous!

Here’s your visual candy for the week, design gang! You can also purchase Lena’s ties, plates, and pillows on her website, so knock yourself out!

(photos from lena corwin.)

Posted by decor8 in Home Tours on February 06, 2006

1. meg commented
    February 7th, 2006 at 12:15am

Wow! I think today is officially Lena Corwin day as both you and design*sponge have covered her. You (with her space and pillows) and d*s with the plates. Lena’s work is really beautiful and her place is equally gorgeous. Nice coverage.

2. Anonymous commented
    February 7th, 2006 at 1:31am

I agree with what the finds said. Nice space! I like seeing real-life apt photos like this cos I can imagine what I would do in my own very humble one room abode. Thanks for sharing, decor8 holly.

-a.w.

3. decor8 commented
    February 7th, 2006 at 2:10am

You girls are funny! Yup. Today’s Lena day, so I hear. I’m sure Ms. Corwin loves it though!!! Did you check out the paintings I posted about earlier that she has on her wall – the one by Elizabeth. They are soooooo pretty.

See you tomorrow!
    ~holly

4. Manuchao commented
    February 7th, 2006 at 3:28pm

ooo..so fresh and springy – love her style.

5. katie commented
    February 7th, 2006 at 4:56pm

I totally loved this article in Glamour. It totally surprised me as well, very unlike them, very Domino-esque! They should do more stuff like this. Anyway, I love Lena’s paintings. She has a great use of color. So nice to see parts of her home.

6. katie commented
    February 7th, 2006 at 5:02pm

Oh wait! I totally confused the people. I meant the paintings by Elizabeth Schuppe, duh! Yeah they are super!!!

7. Anonymous commented
    February 7th, 2006 at 5:02pm

I want to know about the stick lamps…..wondering how hard those would be to make…

8. decor8 commented
    February 7th, 2006 at 7:26pm

I know, it was very Domino of them to take this on, huh? I think it shows though that girls are changing. We don’t just want to look good, we want to live good, too. I remember as a child, asking my mother for a new comforter set vs. new clothes. I mean, I loved my little izod shirt (yikes, dating myself to the 80s), but I also loved changing my bedroom around. Sheesh, I ever had my mother customizing my barbie dreamhouse – we’d create new bedding and throw pillows, rugs, etc. She’d be up sewing all night for me.

Now, I’m up sewing all night for my very own dreamhouse (which isn’t a dream at this point but oh well, working on it all the time!)

I think magazines are catching on that women want it all. Men do too. We won’t settle for a hugo boss suit or a little coach bag while living in a dump with bad wallpaper.

We also have a budget we’re working on, given the excessive rents most are paying, we have to think twice before throwing down 2 grand on a sofa when we could be creative and design an entire room with that.

Lordy, it’s about time magazines saw the complete picture!

Holly

9. katie commented
    February 7th, 2006 at 11:14pm

Can I get a hell yeah!!!!

10. decor8 commented
    February 8th, 2006 at 1:21am

Holla girl! Yes, you most definately can, katie!

:) Holly

11. sandra commented
    March 3rd, 2006 at 10:33pm

For those of you that have seen the magazine spread; anyone know where the chubby little lamp on her bedside table came from? I feel like I’ve seen it everywhere…but now I can’t find it!

Also, the style of the round, armed (wood, re-upholstered, etc.) chair in her living room…? French? Victorian?

12. decor8 commented
    March 3rd, 2006 at 11:43pm

Sandra,

Lena actually has a great blog, you can email her and ask her your questions…she is so friendly and amazingly sweet.

Her blog is: http://www.lenacorwin.blogspot.com/

xo,
    Holly

13. joy commented
    March 9th, 2006 at 9:38pm

her apt. is gorgeous…i’m just reading this post now! so beautiful!