Up With Grups*

My friend Paris sent me a great article about Grups, which couldn’t have come at a better time since both Paris and I just increased our age by another year and I know I was feeling pretty sorry for myself. Up With Grups published today in NY Metro and I tell ya, it made me feel a lot better about being young 30s and still following around my favorite bands and wearing Hello Kitty t-shirts. Cleverly written by Adam Sternbergh, it explores the whole eternal youth movement that we’re experiencing (finally) in the states with thirty and forty-somethings (even into their 50s) enjoying their childhood along with the benefits of having a good paying job and years of experience behind them. I think it’s great that Sternbergh explored Grups in such depth, because I know that over in Europe, being trendy at any age has been the norm for many years – I remember 10 years ago being in London around my Grup friends, feeling completely at ease with them because they felt like peers despite that they were 10-15 years older than me. Up With Grups helped me to see that by the time I’m 35, 40, 45…I can still enjoy my Hello Kitty i-pod in public while wearing my Seven jeans toting a Gina George and Lucy industrial style messenger bag without getting the evil eye from the under 25 crowd. As Paris says, “It makes me feel justified in my immaturity”. I couldn’t agree with ya more, Paris. :)

I’ll be back with some CraftBoston stuff…and more fresh finds, I’m just on a job today so I’m in and out of my house. Currently blogging at Panera Bread in route to my next appointment.

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on April 03, 2006

1. mcaplan commented
    April 3rd, 2006 at 8:46pm

Blogging on the go!? You ARE my hero!!!

2. the shrewness commented
    April 3rd, 2006 at 9:07pm

i just read that article. and although im really not part of that generation yet… i feel like the timeline they had fit me really well!

3. Jon commented
    April 3rd, 2006 at 9:59pm

this is so funny- i had never heard about that term before- i think i fall into this catagory. should i be scared?! thanks for the post!

4. decor8 commented
    April 4th, 2006 at 12:07am

Yeah, and I liked how the article said that in the UK these types are called Yindie which is a yuppy indie person. That cracked me up. I’m heard of hipster of course, but Grup is new to me.

Um Jon, you are a total Grup. Dude, you blog about design on TWO blogs. (K)notwood and Happy Mundane. A true grup design junkie. Now would that be a grupsignkie?

holly

5. Elaine commented
    April 6th, 2006 at 9:24pm

That is a funny new classification.I am not sure that it is exactly complimentary tho… And anyway when you live in NYC, you have to wear sneakers. It just makes sense, function-wise, not fashion-wise.