Design Within Reach Warehouse Sale – Chicago

April 21, 2006

Design Within Reach Warehouse Sale   Chicago
Jealousy is a funny thing. It lasts for about as long as it takes to spot another girl that is even prettier that you are wearing even better shoes.

I’ve turned my jealous attention from the brits to a new city. Chicago. 5 words. Design Within Reach Warehouse Sale. Uh.

Details from the website:
We’re having our first Chicago-area Warehouse Sale. In addition to being a fun, social environment for local design fans, the DWR Warehouse Sale offers you the chance to save up to 75% on hundreds of overstocks and scratch & dents. Choose from merchandise at great savings in all major categories, including bedroom, seating, lounge, workspace, outdoor, lighting, floor coverings, and more. And while there, enter our Warehouse Sale drawing to win a $1,000 DWR gift certificate.

April 21 – 24 and April 28 – May 1 only.

1013 Butterfield Road, Chicago

More details can be found online.

Now THAT is what I call Design Within Reach. Well, not for the rest of us, but at least Chicago can have a go at some really swank goods. If anyone reading this blog attends, please report in with the full scoop, I’m dying over here!

(images from dwr)

You Might Also Like

• Reply brent April 21, 2006 at 1:59 pm

I’ve got my friend Tall B on the case! I’ll let you know what he thinks.

• Reply Devon April 21, 2006 at 2:17 pm

My husband and I can’t make it out to Downer’s Grove before the sale ends tonight, but we’ll be there first thing tomorrow morning. We may even camp out. I’ll report back on the experience for sure! Just hope it’s not too picked over …

• Reply a-m April 21, 2006 at 2:44 pm

btw, for any of your chicago-area readers who are planning to go and have never been to a dwr warehouse sale… if it’s anything like the ones they used to have in the bay area, get there early. the line to get in is crazy. and once you get in the door, it’s a mad rush to find what you want and claim it before someone else does.

and although items are marked down, a lot of goods are still going to be $$$… but if you were planning to buy, say, a barcelona chair anyway — this is a good opp to get one at a discounted price. (you won’t get it dirt-cheap, but it will be less expensive.)

• Reply Devon April 21, 2006 at 3:03 pm

Thanks for the tips, a-m! Wasn’t sure what to expect. Sounds crazy, but fun. Hopefully we can end up with some goods and not get trampled in the process.

• Reply brent April 21, 2006 at 8:39 pm

Probably just as crazy as the Room&Board outlet store in Minneapolis every weekend! Those people are insane with their running, jumping on things, and yeling at people to get away from their Parsons Console table. But things are sometimes dirt cheap there. I got my Walnut Delano bed for a mere $100 marked down from $1499!

• Reply decor8 April 23, 2006 at 4:14 pm

So tell me peeps – I’m dying to know – did anyone check out this chicago sale??

• Reply Danny April 23, 2006 at 10:38 pm

Drove out there yesterday (Saturday the 22nd) at about 11:30. As someone mentioned above, if you’re looking for a “Wow, can’t beleive the prices” buying experience, this is not the place to go. A vast majority of the high-priced items were just marked down a couple hundred dollars and the less expensive items (like some dining chairs) were going for 2 for the price of 1 1/2.

They had a very small section, meaning it took you 10 seconds to forage your way through, for damaged/miscellaneous items but even heavily distressed items, like a Jasper Morrison Coffee Machine with a cracked carafe and mangled plastc lid was still going for $115 (retail @ DWR for $175) which I couldn’t beleive.

I did go out there to find the queen sized Alu or Case Study bed frames but they had no bed frames (or bedding for that matter) for sale at all.

One good thing about the event, all of the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Sorry to dissapoint… You can stop hating Chicago, it’s not worth the effort…

• Reply Devon April 24, 2006 at 7:15 pm

I actually had a pretty good experience and found the selection to be a lot bigger and better than I had imagined. No, the discounts weren’t anything incredible, but if you were planning on buying anyway, every little bit helps!

My husband and I bought a walnut Eames plywood lounge for $405, a savings of around $175, or 30%. Not bad. Less than full price and better than their puny 10% discount.

With two floors of merchandise, including couches, desks, side tables, dining tables, floor mirrors, lamps, and even a few rugs, there really was something for everyone. It took us a lot more than 10 seconds to get through everything, and there certainly were some diamonds in the rough.

I heard they will be restocking for this weekend’s sale, so it’s probably still worth checking out if anyone’s interested.

• Reply Anonymous March 3, 2008 at 8:42 am

Wow beautiful decoration….

• Reply Leone Mandi April 25, 2011 at 5:34 am

Nice post. I was checking continuously this blog and I’m impressed! Very useful information particularly the last part :) I care for such info much. I was seeking this certain info for a very long time. Thank you and best of luck.