coffee + cre8tive [apr 22 06]

The May Domino has arrived, but not at my door. I just spotted it on the Domino website while browsing the Daily Dot. I’m super excited, though I do wonder what happened to my subscription copy this month… Maybe those darn postal workers are gathered around my issue in the back room at the local post office, flipping through every lush page of my Domino issue, marking all of their fresh finds with those tabs. Grrrrr.

You know what I find funny about myself (feel free to add to this har har), and maybe you feel the same way, but I actually get excited about Domino magazine and anticipate every single issue. The only other magazine that I was nuts over until Domino came along was Home Companion magazine because, although it caters more to cottage crowd, the designers that they feature and the beautiful pages are swoonworthy, indeed. You’ll want to clip every page and add it to your inspiration board. I’m actually having lunch with the Publisher in July on my way down to NYC, something I’m looking forward to. Have you ever checked out Home Companion? It will spark your creativity, for sure!

Domino is by far one of my favorite magazines, most of all because I love the covers (real people vs. celebs) and that I can actually afford most of what I see in it. They also do an amazing job spotting trends and cataloging all the items featured in each issue. Although I love the eye candy of Elle Decor and go totally nuts over Living Etc. (UK) and Ideal Home (UK), most of the items in those magazines are wayyy out of my reach. Domino also offers a lot of great advice (love the Renovator’s Notebook) and tends to lean towards offering design for all budgets, focusing mostly on the modest ones. From scouting to nesting, Domino is the perfect read!

(images from domino and home companion)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on April 22, 2006

1. Emy commented
    April 22nd, 2006 at 6:19am

I love Domino magazine. I haven’t gotten mine yet either but mine is always a couple of weeks late compared to the states. I loves the last issue but there was one article I had to laugh at. The lady who remodeled her home and went way over budget, did you see why she went over budget? Who spends $700 on their bedding? I’m kind of a bargain shopper, ya know.
    But I do love it for the inspiration. It reminds me of Living Room magazine. I think there was only one issue, which I still have. That magazine was awesome. But too short lived.

2. joy commented
    April 23rd, 2006 at 3:58pm

i know, Domino is so great! it filled a great void. my issue this month hasn’t come yet either…but i’ve noticed it always comes about 3-4 days after it hits newstands…so, soon!

3. decor8 commented
    April 23rd, 2006 at 4:12pm

Joy – I can’t wait for my subscription copy anymore! Since it’s already at Barnes + Noble I’m heading over now to grab it. :) It’s raining anyway, and I have nothing to do today except sew and work on some look books (trying to clean out from under my bed where I have magazines I’ve been storing – need to go through them all).

Emy – Yes I know what you mean, I can’t fathom spending that kind of money on thread count. But, we all have our obsessions I guess, maybe she is addicted to bedding. Emy, where do you live, you mentioned that it takes awhile to get your issue of Domino over there….

Holly

4. Anonymous commented
    April 24th, 2006 at 1:53pm

I too look forward each month to finding my Domino in the mailbox. Unfortunately it often arrives late–a few days after it hits the newsstands. Very frustrating! My Elle Decor, in contrast, always comes early. Hope Domino will improve on this.

5. Anonymous commented
    April 24th, 2006 at 7:33pm

I’m in the Southeast and my maillady drove by my mailbox in her little jeep again today without the May Domino. Too, too frustrating!

6. decor8 commented
    April 24th, 2006 at 9:49pm

I went to Barnes and Noble last night to buy it – they said it hadn’t arrived yet so I’m thinking it should be there today since the issue has a 4/24 release date… still nothing in the mail.
    Holly

7. Anonymous commented
    April 25th, 2006 at 11:57pm

Thanks for checking Holly! Love your friendly style. Still no Domino in the mail 4/25 down here in Atlanta. Hopefully Wednesday :)

8. decor8 commented
    April 26th, 2006 at 12:32am

My issue arrived today; just did a once-over of it, another splendid issue with more eye candy than a girl ever needs in one issue. Terrific pendant lighting section and some helpful shopping links for New Orleans. I love the photo of Cynthia Rowley on the sofa with her child and the great tips in the Renovator’s Notebook, too. I can’t believe it’s been a year since they launched, and with the help of all of us, I’m hoping they’ll be around for another year, and another… And another.

Thanks for your sweet words. I’m a southern girl at heart since I was raised on the coast of South Carolina – we relocated to Boston when I was 15. I think where you’re raised really affects your personality for life.

Makes me feel good that readers have something to say about the things that I post, so thank you for your comments! :)

Holly :)

9. art and soul commented
    April 26th, 2006 at 1:43am

hi holly -

i am loving your blog – so much creativity! i too get so much inspiration from home companion, and i love domino. i used to be a big victoria reader (mostly loved the photos and designers featured.) a really new and fab lifestyle mag which has won all kinds of awards is claire murray. i have only found it at barnes & noble, but i’m sure borders was just out – it’s that delicious!

on another note – why have i not known about this south end market? my girlfriends and i will be the first in line on may 20th!

thanks again for all the hot tips – xo, h

10. Anonymous commented
    April 26th, 2006 at 2:03am

Holly,
    What a wonderful preview of the May Domino. Now I can’t wait to receive my copy. Many thanks for your attention to detail and passion for design!
    Waiting in Atlanta