uncategorized

International Magazine Swap Program – Sign up!

August 14, 2006

International Magazine Swap Program   Sign up!
Thanks to decor8 reader, lharwin, I now recall who organized the recent International Magazine Swap, Just My Cup of Tea. Unfortunately, that swap has ended… But since so many of you emailed me regarding my earlier post today, I guess I could try my hand at organizing one for you. If you’d like to participate, read the following “rules” and if you can comply, write to me ASAP.

1) NEEDED: 10 international (NOT US – Canada and beyond) and 10 domestic (USA) swappers.

2) 1 domestic swapper will pair up with 1 international swapper. I’ll send you both your complete mailing addresses and email address so you can arrange everything on your own.

3) Once paired with a swapmate, you are responsible to complete the transaction via email. I’m not involved in this process.

4) Mail 2-3 magazines from your country to your swapmate. They will send the same number of magazines to you. Make sure you agree on a number before sending magazines out.

5) Issues must be BRAND NEW and CURRENT (for this swap, issues need to be either August or September issues).

6) Registration ends Friday, August 25th at 5pm EST OR when 20 participants are registered.

7) I’m sure we’ll have more sign up on the US side, so I can only take the first 10 that email me. Let’s hope we get more than 10 international swappers, in which case, we may be able to include a few more from the US side and up the numbers. Let’s wait and see…

8) Remember that mailing magazines outside of the US can be somewhat expensive, I recently sent 2 magazines to Australia via airmail and it was around $17 USD. My swapmate spent around $35 Australian to send magazines to me (although she included an 3rd magazine and a little frame as gift). If you want to swap, remember, you’ll need to pay for the shipping. Some people may not consider this when signing up…

9) Ask your swapmate if they have a preference, some of us already have access to International magazines here (and vice versa), so you should let your swapmate know your preference up front.

10) To register, please send me your full name, email, and mailing address to register. Commenting below is great, but you are not officially registered until you EMAIL me at decor8blog [at] yahoo [dot] com.

Please help spread the word on your blogs so we can obtain plenty of International swappers!

[UPDATE 8/15: Domestic registration is now closed. We’re still looking for a few more International swappers, so if you live outside of the U.S., please register if this is something you’d be interested in doing! I decided, due to overwhelming response, to increase the swap to 40, 20 Domestic and 20 International.]

You Might Also Like

18 Comments

• Reply Nancy Comelab August 15, 2006 at 12:02 am

Sign me up -please- as an international swapper from Australia. :)
    Love this idea, and love your blog! Thanks so much for sharing such fabulous information!

• Reply decor8 August 15, 2006 at 2:30 am

I got your email, you’re signed up Nancy. :) Holly

• Reply Ash August 15, 2006 at 6:38 am

I just wanted to say (as someone who often receives stuff from the USA) that the cheapest way to mail heavier items overseas from the USA is by Global Priority mail from the USPS.

You pay a flat rate – $9.50 for the Letter sized envelope and I think $15 for the box (which would hold magazines). It works out much much cheaper if your items are heavy, plus it gets to its destination very quickly.

Hope that helps some-one who needs to send out of the USA.

• Reply Anonymous August 15, 2006 at 12:22 pm

Hello Holly! Just following up to make sure you got my email about signing me up for the mag swap.
    Thanks a million! Kristin

• Reply karene August 15, 2006 at 2:50 pm

hi! What kind of magazines are we talking about?

• Reply decor8 August 15, 2006 at 4:08 pm

I just finished reading about 40+ emails about this swap – so exciting to see the response, I’m really happy so many are interested!

I need some more international swappers, so spread the word! Lots from the US (as I expected)!!!

I decided to close the swap at 40 total – 20 Domestic 20 Non US.

This is sooo much fun. I am happy that so many readers are coming out of the woodwork to contact me. Many of them aren’t even able to swap right now (moving, weddings, vacation, etc) but are emailing just to say hello and tell me they love that decor8 is doing a swap.

Makes my day to know I’m connecting readers – I had a huge penpal network as a teenager, over 50, back in the day when you only had snail mail. Me and my penpals exchanged stickers, letters, baby animal pictures, cute boy celeb photos from Teen Beat magazine… It was so much fun. I always loved swaps and penpals. I did that for several years as a teenager, in fact, when we relocated from South Carolina to Boston, my penpal network eased how homesick and sad I felt. I still had my penpals no matter where I lived. It gave me happy mail to look forward to.

In a world where everything is electronic (it seems), it’s still very special to have something to hold, a magazine for instance. I love magazines, I’m sooo addicted to them, why not give others the chance to make friends and swap magazines?

Holly

• Reply decor8 August 15, 2006 at 4:09 pm

Thanks ASH! Super helpful. When I email the final 40 with their swapmate information, I’ll mention what you’ve said!

Holly

• Reply sabine Brandt August 15, 2006 at 5:36 pm

Im in as an international swapper from Copenhagen, Denmark. Please let me know what to do ;-]

• Reply jen August 15, 2006 at 7:25 pm

Holly – will you be letting us know whether we made the cut? Thanks!

• Reply Krissy August 16, 2006 at 8:25 am

Is it too late to sign up? I’m from Australia too!

tooaskew [at] gmail [dot] com

• Reply Audrey August 16, 2006 at 5:13 pm

Holly My Dear,
    Please sign me up for this swap!

Mags are my life. I majored in magazine journalism in college and am starting a job at Philadelphia Style Magazine on Monday. I NEED to be part of this swap!!

Let me know…

-Audrey
    Selector & Reflecot

• Reply decor8 August 16, 2006 at 9:43 pm

I’ve sent out the matchmaking email, so everyone who was registered have been contacted by now. If you registered before 5:00 PM Aug 16, please let me know (via email) because I may have overlooked your email – but I think I have everyone!

22 International + 22 Domestic = 44 Very Happy Swappers!

Countries represented:

USA (22), Canada (1), England (4), Scotland (1), Switzerland (1), Holland (2), Finland (1), Denmark (1), France (1), Morroco (1), Portugal (2), South Africa (1), Sweden (3), Singapore (2), and Australia (1)

Have fun everyone!!!

Holly

• Reply Sidsel-Spagat August 16, 2006 at 10:51 pm

I?m in if you need one more international swapper from Denmark.

• Reply lovemilla August 17, 2006 at 5:55 am

ahh did i miss the list then? im based in bangkok-emailed you yesetrday?

• Reply lovemilla August 17, 2006 at 5:56 am

Hi Holly , did i miss the cut then , sent you an email yesterday im based in Bangkok?
    thanks

• Reply lovemilla August 17, 2006 at 5:57 am

Hi Holly did i miss the cut then?
    I mailed you yesetrday Im based in Bangkok.
    Thanks

• Reply decor8 August 17, 2006 at 4:05 pm

If you ladies would like to sign up, I can find a few more in the US to team up with you. Please email me your complete addresses…

Sorry, no emails from Bangkok yet, maybe it didn’t go though? Try again maybe…

Holly

• Reply jen August 17, 2006 at 4:06 pm

just sent you an email… thanks!