uncategorized

Fred Flare – Spot a Trend? Mushrooms Are In!

August 25, 2006

Fred Flare   Spot a Trend? Mushrooms Are In!
It’s no secret, slowly mushrooms are popping up all over in the United States, and your friends at Fred Flare have mushrooms galore to fill your home with happy. Check out all of their new items right here online. Smiles for everyone!

If you’re reading outside of the U.S., what are some big trends in your part of the world? We’re seeing lots more of the baroque modern style, everything eco-friendly, owls + birds, mushrooms, neutral spaces with lots of bright accents, acrylic furniture (still!), and of course, the always present mid-century modern explosion!

(images from fred flare)

You Might Also Like

14 Comments

• Reply Stephanie August 25, 2006 at 10:34 pm

OMG! How adorable is the mushroom soap dispenser. Thanks for tracking this mushroom trend, Holly.

• Reply Kat August 26, 2006 at 12:00 am

Hi. I love your blog, so many beautiful stuff in here! :)
    I wanted to ask you favor, maybe you could do some posts about art & decor for bedrooms. I’m 21 yrs old, and I need to decorate my bedroom (that I share with my sister) and could use some ideas for bedcovers, bedding, artwork, maybe a window seat? The curtains are already ordered: stripes green, white, blue
    are you interested in this kind of stuff? i hope so. do you think some pictures would help? maybe you could recomend me some websites? thanks in advance, bye =)

• Reply Violet Sky August 26, 2006 at 1:09 am

Oh how kitschy and fun!

• Reply Andrew August 26, 2006 at 1:21 am

I haven’t noticed many mushrooms popping up in my neck of the woods (pun not intended). I’ll have to keep an eye out.

Andrew
    To Love, Honor and Dismay

• Reply Anonymous August 26, 2006 at 3:26 pm

I’ve been seeing these popping up, too did you see them in Anthropologie catalog, pictures of them, pillows, lots of toadstools. I have noticed that acrylcic furntiure is everywhere now to.Before you would only see it at Design Within(out Reach. Now yousee it at CB2, Target, and mainstream shoppes.

Kim

• Reply JulesinLiverpool August 26, 2006 at 5:11 pm

Hey! Just wanted to say I absolutely love your blog! I cannot stop to pop in daily, even if I am reading from Germany and most of the time do not have the possibilty to buy the lovely things you show us…
    As to the trends of the other side of the world: its getting a bit dark here, they call it “barock ?n roll”. You could see lots of mushrooms and apples and birds etc. during summer…
    Bye

• Reply Bettina August 26, 2006 at 10:43 pm

Hi
    I’m writing from Denmark where we also feel the mushrooms and owls popping up.

Patterns are becoming more dense with no or less white in it. It shows figures like fruits, specific flowers, animals etc.
    For a retro match, this could be
    Swedish Josef Frank or William Morris, UK.

As for right now EVERYTHING goes black. Not only the baroque style. The former white Shabby Chick furnitures are painted black (or in pastels) and even Royal Copenhagen has launched their most classic series in black!

Bettina

• Reply Three Layer Cake August 28, 2006 at 12:34 am

Hi Bettina and all the nice decor8 readers!!

I think you’re right on the mark, at least it’s what I took away from imm Cologne in Koeln in January. I wrote about the trends in black and pastels on 19 January, and quite a few other trends that seemed visible from imm Cologne, Paris Maison-Objet, and Milan Salone del Mobile.

So far, they’ve all stuck… one thing I haven’t seen is mushrooms, but it is almost mushroom season (in nature), so maybe this is just a harbinger of things to come!

And if you’re interested in general consumer trends, you might want to check out the series on Meaningful Consumption done by kjaer global, which started last week on Three Layer Cake. It’s pretty interesting to hear where the professionals think brands are headed.

3LC

• Reply Anonymous August 28, 2006 at 10:37 pm

I posted this before but it’s not going through. Can you give us some examples? I haven’t seen mushrooms anywhere…

Kim

• Reply decor8 August 28, 2006 at 10:53 pm

Sure Kim – check out any indie craft fair – like Renegade Crafts (they will be in Chicago soon). I’m not sure where you are based, but if you go to little indie stores or flea markets (LA and Boston have tons of these places) you are sure to spot mushrooms along with owls, birds, and all the other cuties featured on things lately.

For more mushrooms, look at Fred Flare, search online for Japanese magazines and look at how much they use mushrooms in design (not home design, this is more for quirky fun crafty stuff), and like you already posted earlier, they are at anthropologie too (pictures, statues, etc).

Have fun!

Holly

• Reply decor8 August 29, 2006 at 1:48 am

Here are more mushroom goodies for you Kim:

• Reply decor8 August 30, 2006 at 3:52 am

check this out – more mush!

• Reply boltandfrolic September 1, 2006 at 3:09 pm

I think it’s great how mushrooms are coming back- I still have a lovely little 3 inch wooden hollow painted tiddly-winks game from my kidhood (c. late 60’s-early 70’s.) the ‘lid’ is the top of the mushroom (painted red with white spots, of course,) and that’s what you try to flip the plastic discs into, then it all stores up inside the mushroom.

You know, what goes around comes around, which I think is great for everyone to enjoy- children delight at the ‘newness’ and those of us with some mileage get to smile at it all again.
    Elle