Marimekko New Line Autumn/Winter -’06/’07

Marimekko Saaa-woon! Browse some new beauties from your Finnish friends, with four color themes in their Autumn collection that reflect the diversity of nature, created by talented young designers Erja Hirvi, Maija Louekari and Teresa Moorhouse, Maija Isola, Fujiwo Ishimoto and Marjaana Virta. Isn’t the Kassiopeia fabric amazing? Not to mention (okay I’ll mention!) their fashion, handbags and accessories for Autumn, totally hot hot hot! Umbrellas, coin purses, handbags, and a must-have b/w striped shirt with Marimekko across the chest in red. I have to find out who carries that shirt online, does anyone know?

For Marimekko home stuff (and accessories), locals can head on over to Bliss on Newbury Street in Boston.

So… What are your favorites for the season?

[UPDATE: FYI: I found a source for Marimekko fashion, called Kiitos in New York.)

(images from marimekko)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on August 26, 2006

1. .:soplador:. commented
    August 26th, 2006 at 5:08pm

el poncho amarillo esta super!!!

2. Meg commented
    August 26th, 2006 at 7:12pm

Hi, I just wanted to tell you that I found your blog through “Cottage Bethy” and I love it. I will definitely be visiting again!

3. grumpygirl commented
    August 26th, 2006 at 9:01pm

these are so, so beautiful. i love marrimekko.

4. lharwin commented
    August 26th, 2006 at 9:03pm

On a somewhat related note, I hear that you can buy Marimekko fabrics at around $9/yard at the Crate and Barrel outlet stores. This is the fabric that’s used in C&B stores for wall art, so it’s already cut, but it’s still a great deal. Has anyone bought any at an outlet that can confirm? Sadly, there are no C&B outlets in the NW…

5. lorenzstudio commented
    August 27th, 2006 at 4:04am

Although I have not purchased any, I have also seen Merimekko fabrics at the C&B outlet store in Carlsbad, CA. I am loving the greens they chose for the fall!

6. hiphostess commented
    August 29th, 2006 at 2:17am

Hi Holly –

I was just on the Marimekko site today and was dying over everything also! That mod horses motif is so great :) Do you know of any sources where you can buy their housewares or bedding online? (for availability within the US) I’m loving the Aukusti and Fokus collections for entertaining…and that Bambunkukka bedding collection shown as the beauty shot on the main “bedding” page is amazing!

7. decor8 commented
    August 29th, 2006 at 2:24am

Yes email josie at

kiitos [dot] marimekko [at] verizon [dot] net

for marimekko ordering info. she’s a sweetie!

Holly

8. Anonymous commented
    August 30th, 2006 at 3:01pm

i tried talking to the marimekko folks at the ny int’l gift fair and they were the rudest people imaginable.

they totally ignored me, and i was in the booth for well over 20 minutes, and picked up practically everything.

while their stuff is gorgeous, they need to seriously think about who they have at trade shows. but then again, maybe they don’t care about modern boutique’s carrying their items.

9. decor8 commented
    August 30th, 2006 at 4:00pm

Anonymous – I had something similiar happen to me as a gift fair in Boston over the winter. I was in one of my favorite booths, picking up everything, reading pamplets, etc. and the booth associates didn’t once ask me if I needed anything. I was very surprised. I left the booth, but vowed to circle back later in the day before leaving.

I’m so glad I did!

When I returned to the booth about 2 hours later, the designer/owner was there! She actually was manning the booth the entire show, but I didn’t realize that because she wasn’t there the first time around. She was so friendly and answered all of my questions. I am upfront, so I asked her about the associates who were in the booth earlier – I told her they offered no help at all so I left – and she told me that they work for the convention center and actually fill in at booths so people can take lunch and bathroom breaks. Ah! Explains everything.

I’m not saying that is the case at the Marimekko booth that you attended in NYC – I certainly wouldn’t be able to comment on your experience. If you are upset by it, which is sounds as though you are because you took the time to post here, maybe you should contact Marimekko directly and explain what happened – situations have no chance of improving if silence is the road taken. Speak out! It certainly helps them, and next time you’re at the fair, it helps you as well – you get what you want! :)

I am sad though that you were mistreated. Sometimes I think sales staff miss the mark in so many stores I go to lately – everyone is either a snob or 17 years old. I think it’s getting harder and harder to find good customer service everywhere you go. It’s hard to find reps that will present your product as passionately as they would if it were their own.

Better luck next time for you, I hope.

Holly