West Elm – Opening in Burlington, MA September 1, 2006!

West Elm hits New England September 1st! With their first retail store opening in Burlington, MA (15 minutes north of Boston) in the new lifestyle center, Wayside Commons, located at 6 Wayside Road in Burlington (exit 33A on Rte. 128/I-95). Wayside Commons will feature an array of stores and restaurants in an open air village atmosphere, including an additional new-to-the-area furniture store, Arhaus Furniture, along with local favorite, Domain.
West Elm is soon to open a Boston store (downtown) in late September, details to be announced soon right here at decor8.

Did you see the animal placecard holders, modernist vases, branch candle holders and the wood plinth clock? I can’t wait until I can actually see all of this stuff in person soon, I shop West Elm online without seeing the goods in person first, so this will be a great treat – not to mention, save shipping fees!

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on August 28, 2006

1. a-m commented
    August 28th, 2006 at 10:00pm

holly – is the downtown store the same as the one next to fenway? i don’t really know the diff ‘hoods in boston that well, but when i went to the baseball game last week, i walked right by one that’s set to open soon.

2. Anonymous commented
    August 28th, 2006 at 10:03pm

Thank you for posting this. My husband and I drove by on the highway going to the Cape and I could of sworn I saw a West Elm sign. I knew of the Boston one opening soon but knew nothing of this one. Maybe I will have to hit the store this week-end.

I should have known you would have the scoop. Hope to see you there!

Cheers,
    Dawn Marie

3. decor8 commented
    August 28th, 2006 at 10:56pm

Yup A-M, that’s the Boston location, in Kenmore Square next to Fenway Park. They are currently stocking it, between now and the 1st of September, and still hiring and training staff. I can’t wait until they post thier grand opening date – I assume it will be mid to late September – FUN.

How did you enjoy Boston? You have to tell me all about it…

Holly

4. decor8 commented
    August 28th, 2006 at 10:57pm

Hi Dawn Marie – Perhaps there’s signage on the hwys now announcing West Elm – if so, that’s so cool!

How far are you from Burlington, MA? I am about 20 minutes away. I have to make sure I get down there before I leave for Germany.

Holly

5. Anonymous commented
    August 28th, 2006 at 11:53pm

Holly- I am North of Boston by about 30 miles. Near the NH border. I don’t get down to Burlington area too often since I tend to shop at the mall in Salem, NH. I will be making a special trip down that way now.

If you get to Germany and realize there is something you simply MUST have, I will happily take the excuse to take another trip down to pick it up for you. Seriously, I will take any excuse to shop.

Dawn Marie

6. decor8 commented
    August 28th, 2006 at 11:58pm

Oh my goodness Anne Marie, you are so very sweet! :) I am only in Germany for two months, so I should survive just fine. If I had to stay longer, I would have Domino magazine withdrawal, but that’s about it. I really love Germany. It’s a treat to go over there and find NEW places to shop. :)

I have friends in Manchester, NH – I get to their house via 93 North and take the Hooksett exit – she is about 10 minutes north of the Rockingham Park Mall.

I’m hoping they’ll open a West Elm in NH (Salem, maybe?) so we can have TAX FREE shopping… :)

Holly

7. Z. Finortingate commented
    August 29th, 2006 at 12:47am

I was excited to find the branch candleholders online, but it turns out they’re just not as pretty close-up. I’m glad West Elm takes returns!

8. lharwin commented
    August 29th, 2006 at 12:59am

See, you should all come visit Portland! We have a West Elm AND tax free shoppping!

9. sk8ordiehard commented
    August 29th, 2006 at 12:37pm

those placecard holders are super cute, but very very very similar to a Dansk product of not too long ago.
    and very adler-esque, don’t you think?

10. Nikki commented
    August 29th, 2006 at 2:30pm

Holly, I walked by the Trilogy apartments yesterday (where the new West Elm will open) and there is a HUGE sign outside that says the store is set to open August 31st!!

11. Stephanie commented
    August 29th, 2006 at 7:44pm

I’m afraid that you might be disappointed with the store. When they opened the Chicago store, we went the first weekend and were appalled. If you haven’t ever ordered their stuff, you will be unpleasantly surprised — cheap fabrics, furniture proportioned for midgets, prices way too high for the quality of goods. I was really, really sad about it and haven’t looked at a catalog since.

12. decor8 commented
    August 29th, 2006 at 7:52pm

I’ve been to their San Diego store (last summer) and I loved it – but I agree with Stephaine, some things made me sad.

I liked the lamps, rugs, pillows, end tables, ceramics, casual desk chairs, accessories…

I disliked the quality of the bedding and the sofas, upholstered chairs, and a few other odds n ends – the beds also felt a bit cheap – like one good romp in the sack with your significant other and BAM, no more bed. :)

I order from West Elm via mail order – I love love love their lighting, I have the belly lamp and the wavvy lamp and both are GREAT quality, exceptional, especially for $99 each… I have accessories and stuff too, it all seems fine – nothing like Adler or the REAL thing, but smaller things served their purpose.

Holly

13. boston_kate commented
    August 30th, 2006 at 5:57pm

Just went to the new West Elm in Boston this morning. Today is opening day!

I was happily surprised with the quality, probably because I was expecting the worst. The store is nicely laid out, and it was a treat to see all their goods in person!

My only citicism would be the over-eager salespeople who all jumped at my feet to help me. I understand it’s their first day, but they could tone down the salesmanship just a tad!

14. Elaine commented
    September 5th, 2006 at 7:33pm

Must also be a slight downer here. I just did a post that included Antler Wall Sconces by Jason Miller, a Brooklyn designer of great things. I do believe West Elm knocked him off. Unless he designed them for West Elm, a possibility, but sadly unlikely. See my post today for a view of his original work entitled “Great Wall.”