Creative Inspiration, Anyone?

Looking for a little creative inspiration today? I’m a huge fan of home peeping, in fact, when I take night walks and and I spot open curtains, I feel no shame in casually glancing in. No, I don’t press my face to the glass, but I am a guilty peeping passerby. Same goes on the web. When I find images of work areas, homes, store tours, well… I get a little nuts. I know it explains why I’m hooked on Apartment Therapy, those “real people” home tours get me every single time.

Since I can’t suggest stalking your neighbors, I do suggest taking some online mini tours of spaces that I found to be quite swoonworthy. Let me know what you think, and by all means (please!) comment below if I’ve missed anything. I’m far too snoopy to want to miss out. :)

Lisa Congdon – Things in my House

Alicia Paulson’s Studio, via my pal Michelle at Creative Swoon

Apple Jack, who is moving to London soon, and posts yummy photos of homes from vintage magazines

Tour a fun workspace with Sabine Brandt (via Joy)

The lovely Miss Pompon always has delightful interiors to browse, she collects images from craft books for inspiration. She also manages a fun group, Beautiful Shops, on flickr.

Canadian flickr bug, Lori, is an interior designer/photographer with an amazing mid century/retro home. In fact, if you have time to burn, flip through all her photo sets for instant design gratification.

I heart little birds and her home set on flickr.

David’s creative santuary in Austin (via Apartment Therapy LA)

Peek in on Joy’s adorable work studio in Philly

Visit a perky craft room from wisecraft.

Gregory Han’s (aka Typefiend) rockin’ apartment (via Apartment Therapy)

Artdsgnr takes you on a tour of his Portland Apartment as well as his slight chair addiction.

Peep in on organized work areas for ideas and inspiration with flickr group, Pretty Organized.

And finally, Joey’s DIY loft in Boston, which happens to be in the same building as my clients, a couple I worked with last year on their amazing loft space. Joey’s loft will hit the market soon, if you’re interested….

If you missed the recent decor8 reader spaces, visit Danielle in The Netherlands, Archana’s home in India, Courtney’s kitchen, and Jonathan’s retro room in California (more of his apartment photos here).

Oh, and a bit nonrelated (but who cares because you’ll like it), remember the Adler mobile I posted about yesterday? decor8 reader Gennine sent in photos of her DIY mobile, I think you will all really love it… See it on her blog, Gennine’s Art Blog.

If you have a home, work space, store, or room that you’d like to show off, just pop me an email. Hope these little mini tours help re-energize you, sprinkling you with lots of creative fairy dust for for the week. Have fun!

(images top: from little birds and bottom: from lisa congdon)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on August 29, 2006

1. angela commented
    August 29th, 2006 at 4:50pm

This is wonderful – thanks for compiling all these mini-tours/Flickr sets in one place. I confess to looking in people’s windows too, not to see the people, but I’m a furniture voyeur! I adore my glossy shelter mags that come in the mail, but am infinitely more inspired by what real people do with real spaces, and how they overcome places that aren’t as architecurally delightful as the spaces featured in Domino.
    Another thing I love – looking at people’s homes that are full of lots of stuff and/or clutter. I can’t handle any clutter at all in my own space – I’m too obsessive-compulsive, but I love seeing it and admire people who collect things and have treasures all around them.

2. Anonymous commented
    August 29th, 2006 at 5:01pm

i love this post! coincidentally, i was just looking at amy butler’s studio pics — and feeling inspired to tidy up my own office/craft room tonight!

3. decor8 commented
    August 29th, 2006 at 5:52pm

i totally know what you mean. magazines only show the best apartments and homes, those with little to no space challenges. if i see another perfect mid century modern ranch home in california, or another loft in nyc, OR another pre war apartment in brooklyn with soaring ceilings, crown moldings, and an amazing fireplace, i’ll fold up and cry!

most of us don’t live in spaces like that. i’ve lived in great spaces before, but currently, i’m in an 1875 carriage house with barely enough space for my husband and i. my bathroom is a little larger than an airplane bathroom. i have no tub, only a corner shower. this is real life people. :)

4. lisa commented
    August 29th, 2006 at 6:26pm

i was like, whoa! there i am!! thanks, holly!

5. grumpygirl commented
    August 29th, 2006 at 6:30pm

i can’t go look at them… it’s so messy here i don’t want to live here right now. so really, instead of looking, i should be cleaning. but i’m not cleaning, i’m typing. and really, i should be working, but that’s a whole other story.

but great idea!

6. Kim Carney commented
    August 29th, 2006 at 6:39pm

All very fun! Thank you

7. trudesign commented
    August 29th, 2006 at 8:12pm

Yey! I want to leave work and go home and change things around now!

8. Hayan Design commented
    August 29th, 2006 at 9:23pm

Love it. Lots of fun. I also love looking in people’s windows, oopss! That?s why I love Small Space Big Style, because is real! Right now I’m really into looking at great movie sets, like the Royal Tenenbaums, Ghost World, Catch me if you can, etc. and find some items maybe you can provide great ideas!

9. Hayan Design commented
    August 29th, 2006 at 9:33pm

10. angela commented
    August 29th, 2006 at 10:56pm

“OR another pre war apartment in brooklyn with soaring ceilings, crown moldings, and an amazing fireplace, i’ll fold up and cry!”

Holly, I think I might have cried a bit when I saw Jessie Randall’s place in Domino, which sounds exactly like what you described. I would die, just die, to have a space with that molding and fireplace and those ceilings. What wouldn’t look amazing in there? It was beautiful, but I guarantee there was nothing even remotely challenging about decorating that space.
    Thanks for pointing out that this is NOT real life, because month after month, when my magazine arrives, I tend to forget that :) And please don’t even get me started on how jealous I was of Erin Fetherston’s Paris flat…

11. Joanne commented
    August 30th, 2006 at 9:21am

Excellent! Yep – I confess – Im a home-peeker as well! Love looking through windows while strolling past houses, mainly for interior inspiration of course, im not a peeping tom! You’re right about magazines only showing the best of homes and spaces – this is real life!
    Although I do tend to get annoyed when I see people staring into my house! Double standards anyone?!

12. sfgirlbybay commented
    September 1st, 2006 at 12:28am

Hi Holly -

You missed my house tour ATSF. :(

But you can still see it on ATSF if you search ‘bomo’ (short for Bohemian Modern). I have changed a few things around since these pix were shot, and my updates are on my blog.

Peek away!

13. Colleen commented
    September 1st, 2006 at 8:13pm

thank you thank you thank you… and now i’m in the need of free time to sew all the projects i’ve seen on these sites! and time to clear the crap out of my sewing room from our remodeling this summer so it looks as nice as these other offices. flickr clearly is the bomb.

14. typefiend commented
    September 2nd, 2006 at 6:02pm

Thank you for the truly appreciated mention :)

15. Jen commented
    September 3rd, 2006 at 5:47am

You certainly aren’t the only one who peeps… i do it ALL THE TIME! usually it’s rather boring, but sometimes I see something worth looking again.

thanks for those links – i’m decorating my apartment at the moment (and have been for a while.. it’s a HUGE work in progress) and when it’s finished, i’ll have to share the flickr set with you :)