Maminka: Japanese Cuteness #5

Here’s sweet Japanese shop #5 on the list for today, Maminka. This is a truly precious find with handpainted treasures and unique art. I especially adore the spool holder/pin cushion combo, would be very handy on a work table or to gift a friend who loves to sew. You have to check out their drawer knobs and pleasingly plump mice too, both are darling… These mice would be fun to collect, also fun to arrange on a shelf in the nursery. The knobs can spruce up an ordinary table in your craft room, or you can have fun in your retro kitchen by adding a few to your cabinets. My former manager has a kitchen that is simply amazing, none of his hardware matches, everything is artsy, whimsical, handpainted, simply amazing. It’s actually very grown up since he has hardwood floors and stainless appliances along with teak cabinets. The shot of whimsy is his handpainted kitchen countertops and his amazing selection of hardware. You can also use knobs like these for hanging necklaces – you can install them onto a piece of painted wood. Simple!

via: wee wonderfuls, who also suggests shopping ripple, tar-tan and anano Cafe.

(images from maminka)

Posted by decor8 in shopping, travel on August 31, 2006

1. jamie commented
    August 31st, 2006 at 8:39pm

Holly,
    When you’re constantly finding and being exposed to so much great stuff, how do you keep from buying one of everything?

How do you decide what you need?

2. decor8 commented
    August 31st, 2006 at 11:10pm

jamie,

thanks a really good question! for me, design is a passion that is somewhat like travel and food for me. there is much variety, but to truly enjoy it, you have to be selective and really think over what exactly it is that you want to collect (and stick with that for awhile) or what you need in your home (use a list, be specific).

some things i buy on impulse, quickly seeing that it will never fit my home, so i usually store it in a space i reserve in my home for client stuff. oftentimes, i’ll try to incorporate these items into their home and charge them face value for the item.

other impulse buys end up going to friends or families as gifts.

but honestly, i don’t have a problem with shopping – meaning i usually do not come home with tons of bags and regrets. i paid off all of my debt/credit cards a few years ago, so the desire to stay debt free and only use cash helps, too.

although i’m rambling, some readers may find this helpful, so i’ll add one more bit to this comment. i actually have a separate account from my joint account with my husband. it’s called ‘holly money’. i use holly money for things i would never buy using our joint account. a sofa would come from our joint account, but fun stationery or an orla kiely bag would come from my holly money account. my husband tells me that he doesn’t care if i use ‘our’ money on these things, but for me, i prefer to use the holly money account because i can keep track of my spending, i don’t go nuts, and i never have to feel guilty at all for spending money – i can buy a $200 handbag and not feel like i should have purchased one that i really didn’t want, but went with it because it’s cheaper.

does this make sense? long winded explanation, i know. but your question was so good that i wanted to give you a meaty answer. it’s nice to have someone comment with questions. keep ‘em coming.

thanks for stopping by decor8!

xo
    holly

3. irisz commented
    September 1st, 2006 at 7:19am

i really enjoyed to read your posts and see your works, they are so joyfull and happy!

4. rupr commented
    October 13th, 2007 at 7:55pm

I am Czech and in my language “maminka” means “mother. It is very nice.

5. Stephanie commented
    January 27th, 2008 at 6:29pm

I love all the Japanese cuteness featured…but often I find that the products can’t be purchased within the US. Help!

Thanks :)