Store Preview: Esplanade (Hannover, Germany)

I spent a little time out and about yesterday, exploring the district I’m staying in, seeing if anything new came to town since I visited last year. I found a gorgeous store located in a cobblestone square, such a quaint setting, with wares spilling out from its doors onto the sidewalk… Behold, a summer clearance sale!
Esplanade Raum + Zeit, owned by business partners Bernadette Brinckmann and Uta Runde (I met Frau Runde, who is very friendly and speaks English very well), is a large space with three large rooms housing everything from Garden supplies to decorative accessories and furniture. The theme seems to be Danish and English country, one of the major lines carried is Rice from Denmark. I also spotted German products and glassware from Greece, too. And, of course, a little Asian decor mixed in. I didn’t see anything from America – no Adler or Adams anywhere. Not the case in America, where nearly every store stocks at least one Adler ceramic or pillow. :)
Plates, candle holders, bread boards, plants, pillows, totes, cupboards stocked with blue glass, everything in this store is exquisite, reasonably priced (lovely glass candle holders in two sizes and over a dozen colors, just 2.99 and 3.99 Euros.)

Love this light fixture!
This is one store that I highly suggest visiting if you find yourself journeying through Hannover. It’s two stops from the main station, hop off the u-bahn at Lister Meile and it’s about a block from there at Wedekindplatz 3. I wasn’t able to locate a website address for Esplanade, however you can contact them directly for store hours. Tel. (05 11) 62 79 95

Even the views from the store window are beautiful – I love the architecture in this district.
German bread boards – typical in households here. (you can create a sandwich on these and then use it as your plate).

(images from decor8, click on them for larger view)

Posted by decor8 in Shop Tours, shopping, travel on September 26, 2006

1. Carol commented
    October 21st, 2006 at 1:25am

Hi Holly,

how nice that you are in our country at the moment and write about the shops you find here. This looks great, I’ll have to go there next time I’m in Hannover. My name is Carol and I live in Bremen, a beautiful city which is only 1.15 h away from Hannover. Have a good time while overhere!

2. decor8 commented
    October 21st, 2006 at 8:32am

Hi Carol!

I’m so happy that you found my blog. I’ve been to Bremen, my husband took me when we were dating in 1999. I have to travel up there again. When I do, I have your email address now, so I’ll look you up. Perhaps we can meet for coffee? :)

Holly

3. Anonymous commented
    July 7th, 2008 at 2:53am

Hi Holly,

I just found your blog and I wonder if you are still in Hanover? I’ll be going there this August for further studies and your post has given me ideas about where to get home furnishing for my new apartment! :) Are you still there? I’ve only ever spent 3 years in Bremen, so it would be great if you could show me around, if you’re still there ;)

Yasmin (yramle [at] jacobs-alumni [dot] de)

4. decor8 commented
    July 7th, 2008 at 3:27am

Hi Yasmin!

I am going to be in Hannover from August 7 until the end of December. Will you be there during this time? If so, I’d love to have coffee with you or something. I love meeting new readers and frequently do this so I’m game!

Email me at decor8blog AT yahoo.com

Holly

5. Alex commented
    October 12th, 2011 at 10:12am

Thanks for your blog. Brand new to Germany, I just joined my fiancé here in Hannover. We live in a little village about 15 mins by s- bahn. Your recommendation for esplanade gave me a destination for my first trip in town. Aside from the wind and rain, the leister meile was a great starting point. I really like Haus maus!