coffee + cre8tive {sept 27 ’06}

Happiness is… A big German cookie! This is a mandelhoernchen, an afternoon snack that we enjoyed yesterday while strolling around. I keep telling myself that I’ll only eat like this for a few more days, then it’s back to salads and grilled chicken and fish again… There is no way I can eat like this for two months straight. We’re purposely not renting a car for this reason, so we can walk and eat. :)

A woman who lives directly across from us, she is also on the 4th floor, has a fitness studio in her flat. Each day, I see her stretching, drinking tea, and leading group classes in her gigantic flat. It looks like they are doing pilates. Hmmm. Maybe I should go over there take a class with her. It certainly would help curtail my chances of growing out of my clothes while I’m here. :)

Back to happier thoughts… Like eating mandelhoernchen.

(images from decor8)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on September 27, 2006

1. Anna commented
    September 27th, 2006 at 9:24am

Hi Holly,
    not that i want to interfere with your walk&eat plan. But i think bake&eat is a sure alternative….

you need:
    200 g Marzipan
    50 g Flour
    1 Eggwhite
    100 g Almonds, sliced
    100 g Sugar
    100 g Chocolate coating (milk or dark)
    2 TS Vanille Sugar

Blend the marzipan with the eggwhite. Add sugar, flour and vanille sugar. For best results use a icing bag and put the dough in it. Make sure, you have a nozzle with a hole. Squeeze 10 H?rnchen on a baking parchment and sprinkle them with the almonds.
    Baking time: about 15 Min.
    Temp: 175? C backen.
    Let them cool and dip the H?rnchens in chocolate.

Mahlzeit!
    Perfectly with Coffee.

Cheers, Anna

2. crink heart commented
    September 27th, 2006 at 11:32am

i have always thought of having a yoga studio in my apt in NJ. we have space for 5 people to stretch out. I was wondering weather I can do that

3. Jany commented
    September 27th, 2006 at 12:28pm

Hi Holly,
    this is not fair…i love Mandelhoernchen, they are among the things i miss most from Germany ( being native from Hamburg).
    It’s nice to read you in “european time” (what’ s the english word for “Zeitverschiebung “??.
    Being originally from Hamburg i wanted to mail some nice adresses up there, as it is not too far from Hannover, a weekend would definitively be worth it. I’ll mail them to you by the end of this week.
    Have a nice day, schoenen Tag !

Jany

4. jesisme commented
    September 27th, 2006 at 6:18pm

Take me to Germany fast because I am so very jealous!

That cookie and where you stay is breaking my heart.

5. adria commented
    September 28th, 2006 at 1:05am

have you ever had a Prasselkuchen or Streusselkuchen? That was my favorite pastry in Germany. And I know what you mean, they are hard to resist!

6. bellaconda commented
    September 28th, 2006 at 3:25am

OOOH!!! *drool*

7. Elaine commented
    September 29th, 2006 at 3:47am

Hey, we have those in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. I love the almond paste. They are so good. About a dollar and a half. Yum! I love reading about your adventure! Buy that place, it is beautiful! (other post)