Help!

I was out and about today and spotted this… Anyone know the artist? I’ve seen this work in several design magazines and books, in various sizes, a collage of images with a single bloom (red/green) always at the focal point. However, I’m not able to recall who the artist is. Can someone help me?

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on September 27, 2006

1. the original piker commented
    September 27th, 2006 at 3:27pm

I had a contemporary art gallery for ten years and have never seen anything like it. Of course to me it looks like a Robert Rauschenberg rip-off with a flower on top. The best source bar none is: http://www.artnet.com/. Good luck :)

2. Mamie commented
    September 27th, 2006 at 3:33pm

Donald Baechler

3. style court commented
    September 27th, 2006 at 6:24pm

Definitely Donald Baechler. Decorator Muriel Brandolini has the painting over her fireplace, as seen in the book Designing Women by Margaret Russell, and the room has been in Elle Decor too. Hope this helps :)

4. decor8 commented
    September 27th, 2006 at 6:32pm

Style Court – Thank you Thank you! :) This must be here fireplace, yes?

Again, that you so much!

I’ve seen these paintings in many magazines and books, I have a book back at home in the states with one of these paintings, it’s about 5x the size of the one shown in this photo.

I’m thrilled. You’ve made my day. Time to research Donald Baechler a little, I’m not familiar with his work. Yet. :)

Holly

5. style court commented
    September 27th, 2006 at 7:12pm

Oh good, glad I could help Holly! In the book, in the Brandolini chapter, everything is exactly the same as in your image — the candy stripe ceramics (or glass art?) the coral in the white vase and the red lampshade.
    Cheers!
    Courtney

6. Kristin Leigh Ward commented
    September 27th, 2006 at 7:40pm

Hey Holly – Artnet.com sells Baechler’s work. The website has over 100 pieces of his work via galleries all over the US. They provide you with the info to the gallery for inquiries into purchasing one of his pieces. This is probably your best bet to see whats out there if you want to buy. Just thought it might help in your quest.

Hope your trip in Germany is smashing! Enjoy yourself and eat whatever you want – you are on vacation. :)

7. decor8 commented
    September 27th, 2006 at 8:28pm

Style Court – I spotted the photo in some book while I was out today… It was a design book and as soon as I saw the photo, I tried to read the surrounding text but couldn’t figure it out (it wasn’t in English or German). I’d been looking for this artist for months. Then I had an epiphany – snap a photo of it and ask decor8 readers!!! I am so happy I did now.

THANK YOU AGAIN!

Oh and Kristin Leigh Ward – Thanks for the headsup, you too original piker and mamie.

Mystery solved!

I learned while researching this that he actually has a painting at the Museum of Fine Art in Boston, so when I get home in a few months, I have to go check it out. :)

Holly