Store Display Swoon!

Whenever I spot a store display that interests me, I immediately grab my camera and snap away. Do you do this? It’s a great habit to develop, especially for recording ideas that you can tuck away for later. Take this display from Sinn Leffers, a great example of the power of one simple textile mounted and used as art. It’s a very simple print of trees in brown and white, yet the statement is bold and chic. I love the scale of it, and how the deep cocoa creates such warmth, while the white is so cool and sharp. Gorgeous in the home, especially in a dining room or living space. Also great for creating the look of Autumn indoors without getting overly kitschy with wreaths and garlands, the typical Autumnal decor that you find in the common craft store. With just a simple textile like this one and a few white pumpkins on the dining room table, you can create a little warmth and that lovely Autumnal feel we have such a weakness for. You can even dedicate one space in your home to seasonal art. Rotate every three months with a new textile canvas that brings the season from the outdoors in. Fun!

(images from decor8 – click on each for larger view)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on October 02, 2006

1. jen commented
    October 2nd, 2006 at 2:31pm

LOVE it! What is it about Fall that is completely enrapturing?

2. Eve commented
    October 2nd, 2006 at 2:45pm

wow !! i love this store displays and can look at them for hours.. I would love to take pictures too but I am a bit shy. Do we have to ask their permission first?? especially if its inside the stores? Do we not use flash because of the glass?

Eve

3. decor8 commented
    October 2nd, 2006 at 2:46pm

I know Jen, it’s a beautiful time of year. :)

Eve – no clue, but for personal use, I wouldn’t be too concerned if you take a photo of a window display.

Holly

4. gracious art commented
    October 2nd, 2006 at 3:35pm

Holly, can you tell me where to get rolled canvas in NY city.

5. Eve commented
    October 2nd, 2006 at 4:45pm

Thanks holly.. Did you get a chance to look at my querry here ( i guess we are late now) http://decor8.blogspot.com/2006/09/decor8-contest-your-workspace-win-free.html

Eve

6. Anonymous commented
    October 2nd, 2006 at 8:28pm

Wow! sorry to hear about your brother in law, hope he recovers quickly.
    ~Angie~

7. Leah commented
    October 3rd, 2006 at 1:04am

I’ve been searching for fabric EXACTLY like this for eons — I want to stretch it over a large canvas for a wall hanging. Holly, is there any way to find out the source for this particular fabric? If so, will you let us know?

(And I’m so sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. I hope that he recovers quickly and completely!)

Leah

8. antibride commented
    October 8th, 2006 at 12:46am

in my country, mexico, you are NOT allowed to take pictures of window displays. the people here are paranoid you are going to copy what you see in their displays or something, i tried taking pictures in the mall, for a project, and they called the security guards to keep me from snapping pictures. talk about being closed-minded, huh?