Daisy: Cristin in Texas (#110)

Just this month, I converted a small closet into a scrapbook space where I can work on my favorite hobby. I painted a wide band of color around the closet space. The interior of the closet was already a glossy white, which works well to reflect light in such a small space.

For the Fabulous Stationery card my scrap space most resembles, I chose Daisy. I love flowery, girly looking spaces, so these flower cards spoke to me. :) I could see this card on my magnetic board next to the other cards. The flower petals also reflect the scalloped boxes in my space.

I placed the desktop at a standing height because I like to work standing up or sitting on a barstool.

I installed a white plastic peg board to hold frequently used tools and covered cork board tiles with fabric for a quick bulletin board.

The scalloped boxes on the top shelf hold supplies and they are all labeled for easy reference. Most of my scrapbook supplies fit here because I mainly shop for specific projects as I need an item. I’m also ruthless about getting rid of stuff I don’t use. I store my albums elsewhere. The bookcase to the left (not shown) of my scrap closet holds sewing supplies, magazines and other misc. crafty stuff. ;)
Oh, I also threw in a “before” picture because I love before and afters!

BEFORE (blush!)

AFTER (smiles!)

Thanks for looking at my room and thanks for the contest–it motivated me to get my space completed in less than a month! I had a lot of fun!!

Please click on images for larger views.

COMMENTS?

(images from cristin for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on October 13, 2006

1. Anonymous commented
    October 13th, 2006 at 1:38pm

Wow I love the colors.
    Great Space.
    ~Angie~

2. rifferaff commented
    October 13th, 2006 at 3:04pm

I love the pegboard!

3. Eve commented
    October 13th, 2006 at 3:09pm

Cristin from texas.. you and your space are truly inspirational to any and everyone. You have just shown us what can be achieved in just one month’s time. And also that if one gets creative enough a drab closet space can be transformed in to zen space. With a lamp and a desk and a peg board plus attractive shelving for storage you have you have turned that closet space in to a work of art. This entry should also be sent to christopher lowell where he gives small spaces to designers and asks them to make it functional. This is also a great example for “mission organization” because everything in here is so organized. You have done an amazing job. And those people who complain “oh i dont have enough room” you have shown with an example how little room is needed to have an inspiring corner of your own. Love it love it love it.

Eve

4. Funky Finds commented
    October 13th, 2006 at 3:14pm

such a cute, girly space!

5. Anonymous commented
    October 13th, 2006 at 3:19pm

Love your space! I wish mine looked half as good as this. What a wonderful way to convert a closet into your scrap space. I like the way you have your items organized on your peg board and on the shelf.

6. spencerkellie commented
    October 13th, 2006 at 4:18pm

Very nice, Cristin! Love the “girly” colors!

Kellie~

7. padrejuan commented
    October 13th, 2006 at 5:08pm

Great idea!! Love the colors!!

8. Anonymous commented
    October 13th, 2006 at 5:18pm

Love it!

9. Anonymous commented
    October 13th, 2006 at 5:21pm

I can’t believe all that organization in that small space and such good taste. It makes me want to get in there and be creative. Super use of a small space.

10. Anonymous commented
    October 13th, 2006 at 5:50pm

Love the room/closet/space! My favorite thing is the glass shelf and the matching jars! It just looks like a place where you can go in and simply create! Way to go Cristin!

~John

11. Katherine commented
    October 13th, 2006 at 7:07pm

Cristin,

I love the space! I love the colors that you have chosen and the way you made the space work for you!! I bet it is nice to know you have your little special place now.

Beautiful!

Katherine

12. Bobi commented
    October 13th, 2006 at 7:18pm

that is the greatest idea for people who don’t have ROOMS to redo for scrapbook space…every home has huge closets.

13. Anonymous commented
    October 13th, 2006 at 7:21pm

Cristin,

You are as talented as you are beautiful and sweet spirited.

It’s a joy to know you and see you grow as an accomplished business owner and artist!

Love you

Debbie Setliff

p.s. I have this clost upstairs….. :-D

14. Sharon commented
    October 13th, 2006 at 7:56pm

Cristin: This is so cute! I love all the brightness and all the light! My own space is very dark in comparison. And I love the girly look! Way to go!

15. Stephanie commented
    October 13th, 2006 at 8:10pm

I absolutely LOVE those scalloped boxes Christin! BEAUTIFUL! :)

16. Anonymous commented
    October 13th, 2006 at 8:23pm

Cristin, my favorite niece!
    Wow! It’s so-o-o organized. You’ve got a great artist’s eye for color and use of space. It’s as beautiful as you are.
    Love,
    Aunt Sue

P.S. When are you coming to redo my house?!!!!

17. natty. commented
    October 13th, 2006 at 8:47pm

Wow.

Okay…that one workspace in Mexico was my favorite, but now I’m not sure after seeing this one. The fact that you were able to take such a tiny space and turn it into something so sublime is truly inspirational. Pink and yellow are my favorite colors, and you have shown how to use them to make something absolutely beautiful and not scary. I LOVE the desk and EVERYTHING around it…those lamps are gorgeous. And that PEGBOARD! I’m so jealous!
    Thanks for showing off your stellar space. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if you win the contest.

18. Anonymous commented
    October 13th, 2006 at 9:20pm

Cristin:
    You are so talented and creative. You ROCK!

Carol

19. Anonymous commented
    October 13th, 2006 at 10:15pm

Amazing!!! What a great “small” space! It doesn’t feel or look small!! Great use of space, light, color, and organization!! You go girl!!

Connie

20. Anonymous commented
    October 14th, 2006 at 1:29am

I love the cheerful, bright colors that you used. I can see why this will be a place of inspiration. I love it….now, will you please come decorate a place for me?? sue

21. Anonymous commented
    October 14th, 2006 at 3:00am

WOW, I am SO impressed and so very proud of you. I can’t wait to see it in person. You are definitely talented. Love you, Nancy

22. Anonymous commented
    October 14th, 2006 at 3:55am

You are so talented, Cristin. Your scrap space is so cute. I love the way you developed it. You are awesome!!!!!
    Love, Nancy

23. Anonymous commented
    October 14th, 2006 at 4:28am

Totally awesome use of limited space, it should be in a magazine or a DIY show. The colors are the icing on the cake. Love it.

24. Anonymous commented
    October 14th, 2006 at 4:35am

Cris, you scrap space is as cool, calm, and collected as you are. Organized and a place for everything. Very feminine and business like at the same time. The scalloped boxes really are neat.

Glenda

25. Anonymous commented
    October 14th, 2006 at 4:53am

Love the colors

26. Anonymous commented
    October 14th, 2006 at 4:55am

I really like the pegboard and your corkboard that you covered.

27. Anonymous commented
    October 14th, 2006 at 11:28am

Glad to see you are putting your artistic ability to practical use… The bright colors brighten a hidden corner where you can work and involve yourself as you work in your own dreamworld and imagination.

28. Anonymous commented
    October 14th, 2006 at 1:31pm

You did a great job! Bright, organized, and functional-this space has it all!
    AWESOME!!
    Darcie in IA ;)

29. Anonymous commented
    October 14th, 2006 at 1:36pm

Way to go Cristin!! Looks beautiful!! I wish I had an extra closet to do this in!! :)

Your cousin,
    Ang

30. Anonymous commented
    October 14th, 2006 at 3:27pm

This is a great space. You showed that you don’t need a whole room to make a special and funtional place. Great Job!

Carey

31. Anonymous commented
    October 14th, 2006 at 4:35pm

Great job, Cristin….love the colors

Belinda

32. Anonymous commented
    October 14th, 2006 at 4:45pm

Very nice space.

33. Anonymous commented
    October 14th, 2006 at 4:46pm

Nice and bright, some of my favorite colors. Love the scalloped baskets and your sign looks great in your room.

34. Anonymous commented
    October 14th, 2006 at 4:47pm

I agree with Eve – send this over to Christopher Lowell and Mission organization!

35. Anonymous commented
    October 14th, 2006 at 5:04pm

You should go into business for yourself setting up peoples craft space.

36. Anonymous commented
    October 14th, 2006 at 5:54pm

love what Cristin has done with the space. It looks so bright and cheerful. Cristin is very creative and is an inspiration. Makes me want to do more to my scrapping space. Thanks for the ideas.

Becky

37. Carmen Perez commented
    October 15th, 2006 at 1:02am

Cristin,
    This totally ROCKS! You can redesign my scrap area (It’s a mess). Great Job!!
    Carmen

38. Anonymous commented
    October 15th, 2006 at 2:15am

Cristin: We are so proud of you. I can hardly wait to see it. Grandma C.

39. merideth commented
    October 15th, 2006 at 12:25pm

Hey there! God has gifted you with such a sweet spirit and a great talent! Great Job! This will show everyone what you can do with a little bit of space..awesome!

40. *Angela* commented
    October 16th, 2006 at 2:37am

I love what you did with such a small space – great job!!

41. Shelli commented
    October 16th, 2006 at 3:10pm

I vote for this one – it’s A VERY imaginative use of a space, and the colors are wonderful, and it look sgrand!

Shelli

42. maria commented
    August 8th, 2008 at 5:30pm

I love what you did. Now I’m gping to go and fix up my scrap place

43. Loretta in AZ commented
    August 9th, 2008 at 8:32pm

How cute! I am going to try this in my 8×10 room. I bet I can make it work!

44. Francine commented
    December 8th, 2008 at 7:32pm

I love what you did with the closet!! I redid my basement into a studio as well after having had 7 floods!!!!. I made one side a Paris Cafe with a wall mural and a little bistro table and chairs. It is amazing what you can do with small spaces if you put your mind to it!!

Francines last blog post: Metallic Brooch