coffee + cre8tive {oct 26 ’06}

Notes from the cafe. I carry a journal with me at all times, where I like to jot down thoughts, dreams, and lately, a few cultural observations. Here’s a recent entry from my little book.

Let us eat cake. Or simply coffee. Whichever your prefer, prepare to pause daily in Germany for your midday snack – which is usually coffee and a big ‘ol slice of cake. The afternoon ritual of taking tea in Britian is the German way as well – only with it’s stronger companion – a cuppa java. Cafes are a huge part of German life, which I find no problem with, as I could live on cofee and baked goods if only my rear-end would promise not to expand. You’ll find cafes buzzing from dawn ’til dusk, with the locals chatting it up over delicious sweets, sipping expresso or cappuccino, and smoking their brains out. (ugh. People smoke like crazy here. I hate this. How can a culture so big on health and wellness be tobaccoholics? ) The younger Germans often skip the cake and dine on a cigarette instead, with coffee, which I’m certain contributes to these girls staying so Posh Spice slim.

I enjoy the casual ‘n chic cafe scene here so much, the atmosphere isn’t quite as hurried and lines aren’t nearly as long as the local Starbucks back home. I’ve noticed too that cafes aren’t as hell bent on selling more than a good cup of coffee (vs. mugs, art, CDs and the typical Starbucks lifestyle). Coffee is almost always served in a fine mug or glass with a saucer and a single cookie or chocolate on the side. Many cafes light a tea candle on your table, even during the day. The experience of afternoon cake and coffee here is meaningful. It reminds me of the importance of pausing during the day to catch a breathe, refresh the mind, and just do nothing for 30 minutes or so. Or in my case, take notes and snap photos. But still.

Thoughts on Dogs.

Dogs have it made here. Fifi and Fido can join you in most cafes and restaurants, on the subway, even department stores and hair salons have no problem with your pooch. Recently at the zoo, I noticed that your furry companion (not your husband, your dog!) can accompany you into the zoo for the price of a “doggie” admission ticket. How cute! American dogs would totally love it here. Back in the states, we can dress them up but we certainly can’t take them out (except the local park). Puppy love in Germany! Two barks and a tail shake to that!

Now onto design…

(image by holly becker for decor8 – hannover town hall cafe)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on October 26, 2006

1. Anonymous commented
    October 26th, 2006 at 4:22pm

On your “Thoughts on Dogs”. When I visited Austria, I stayed with a friend and he explained that dogs are more welcome in public spaces than children. I suppose because dogs are easier to train than children and not as loud? I think he also mentioned a terrible strain on population. I wonder if you have found it to be the same in Germany.
    Your avid reader,
    Erin

2. decor8 commented
    October 26th, 2006 at 4:28pm

Hmmm… Not sure about that here in northern Germany, but come to think of it, I rarely seen children in cafe, restaurants and even out shopping in the city. I see teens, but hardly anyone under 12. Maybe it’s similiar here now as it was in America 25 years ago when most kids ate meals at home after school vs. the current “let’s all go to Chili’s to dinner again tonight ‘cos mom is too tired to cook” like in the US….

My husband said that when he was a boy here in Germany, they only went out to eat on Sundays, if at all, and not every Sunday – just to celebrate a special event.

Hmmm

3. Karyn commented
    October 26th, 2006 at 4:49pm

What’s your favorite dessert there?
    When I was in Germany I saw lots of children. I was in Wiesbaden at an ice cream shop and they had a high counter for adults to order from and a low counter where small children could order and I remember the cutest scene ever, a little boy no older than 4 came in with a back pack on and his Marks in his hand to order ice cream and got behind a girl who may have been a year older. She didn’t like a BOY standing next to her and she shoved him away, and he just stood where she shoved him and waited from there til it was his turn!! I remember thinking how mature he was!!

4. lola commented
    October 27th, 2006 at 11:38am

oh my, that sounds like a perfect afternoon!

5. Eve commented
    October 27th, 2006 at 4:14pm

What a lovely writeup,,, took me all the way to Germany..

Eve

6. Elaine commented
    October 28th, 2006 at 4:04pm

That cafe is beautiful. So light and airy. And the arches! Simply beautiful. It makes me sad that such places are gradually being erased in America, replaced by Starbucks. What is wrong with Americans with their obsession with sameness everywhere they go. Chains offer nothing edifying to our society.