DIY, Objects

The Fab Floor!

November 2, 2006

The Fab Floor! Here’s a great little story to remind us of just how small the world really is, thanks to having both print publications and the online world of blogging at our fingertips (seems to work so much better now that we have the two, don’t you think? draws us all much closer).

decor8 reader Susie from Rock Scissor Paper wrote to me after reading decor8 Reader Question: Linoleum Resources?, a recent post responding to an inquiry from reader Julia who needed some good Linoleum resources and tips. After spotting the post, Vanessa (another reader) commented that she found her linoleum inspiration in Domino magazine and applied what she saw to her kitchen by combining a little elbow grease with motivation, her kitchen floor was replaced with what you see above.

Susie now enters the mix. “It’s a small, small world at decor8. I nearly fell out of my chair this morning when I went to your site and scrolled the page down to see what I missed yesterday and saw her floor! Here are some snaps I took of our kitchen and one picture from Domino. Just to share!”

How cool is that, huh!? Here’s Susie’s kitchen:
The Fab Floor!The Fab Floor!Isn’t that a cute story? A great example of a fun, affordable DIY project using a surface that most people accuse as being too boring or dated. Not when you add some creativity to the mix! I’d love to see this floor in mustard, gold, rust, all those yummy autumal tones, wouldn’t you? A warm version of what is pictured here would look great in my kitchen. I can see a warmer version against cherry or maple cabinets…

(images from susie and vanessa)

You Might Also Like

6 Comments

• Reply Gradon November 2, 2006 at 7:34 pm

Truly beautiful kitchens. Congrats on some fine work, ladies!

• Reply Vanessa November 3, 2006 at 7:05 am

I only wish we’d had the linoleum color options that Susie did – and, heck, let’s be honest, we could have used her design sense as well – her floor is still our dream floor. When we finally buy our own house (and in LA, that’s a big “if”), we’ll give the floor another go. Linoleum is truly a wonderful material!

• Reply Vanessa November 3, 2006 at 7:08 am

• Reply decor8 November 3, 2006 at 9:45 am

i agree gradon, very clever DIY project!

vanessa your floor looks fabulous, it doesn’t need to be 100% like susie’s – you did your own personalized version and I think that’s great. i love both floors and think it’s pretty cool that you even did something with the idea in the first place. so many of us see things we love, dog ear the page, and walk away onto something else. not you!!! you took action, and that is super.

holly

• Reply susie November 3, 2006 at 5:00 pm

Vanessa:

I think YOUR floor looks great and I LOVE the colors you chose! Believe me it was a nearly impossible decision to pick which colors to use! My husband and I spent 2 months going back and forth with color combinations. In reality they all looked good! I applaude you for improving your rental….it makes a big difference!

I am humbly honored that you would be inspired by our design!

Best wishes,
    Susie

• Reply abbeyk November 17, 2006 at 1:58 am

I love linolium too. That kitchen floor looks great. Why I love linoleum: It’s green. It’s got a great price point. The only down side is that a lot of people don’t know about it yet. I’ve put it in a few kitchens and bathrooms. PS comes in sheet goods of 6’6″. I like marmoleum by forbo.