Berlin Tips, Anyone?

[11/13 update: back from berlin, today i’m in the south of germany with family, returning on 11/14. see you tomorrow. xo, holly]

Happy Friday to you! There’s a gadzillion finds today from the Graduation Galleries at Dutch Design Week for you to scroll through below, but due to space (you’ll be scrolling forever), I’m thinking it would be better to wait until Monday to post the rest (I have a dozen or so more). I also have highlights from my travels to Hamburg to post, so I’ll save those for next week, too.

Ich bin ein Berliner! I’m heading off to Berlin for the weekend with friends, praying for decent weather, and looking forward to checking out the East Berlin art scene, hit Ku’ Damm, and of course, the massive retailers (like Galeries Lafayette and the food hall at KaDeWe) and the little indie boutiques, too. Last time I was in Berlin, I was still single and being a bit over-excited about everything (visiting a new city, all the sights, being on a date), I crashed a brand new Mercedes on lease into an SUV of a very heated Berliner, so here’s hoping I’m better behaved this time around.

If you have any Berlin suggestions, please please please (please!) comment below or email me offline – I’d love some tips from readers since you are quite the savvy bunch and honestly, all these travel websites just don’t do it for me like the opinions from friends. Maybe some of the “must-see” areas for fresh, new talent – lots of indie stores and art galleries, for instance… It’s decor8blog[at]yahoo[dot]com.

I hope you like the slew of posts I’ve left you with today, and watch for the Blog of the Week and Book of the Week, appearing soon in the left column. You won’t want to miss ‘em!

Side notes: I’d like to welcome to a few new sponsors to the blog since I forgot to do this last week, Elsewares and Nazmiyal Rug Gallery. Welcome aboard. Your support means a lot. Without it, I may have to actually get a real job.

(image from Sebastian Niedlich, a most interesting flickr find this week.)

Posted by decor8 in shopping, travel on November 10, 2006

1. bloodybunny commented
    November 10th, 2006 at 1:48pm

you can also visit the “Stilwerk”
    (it?s nearby the Kudamm)
    stilwerk Kantstr. 17, 10623 Berlin-Charlottenburg

S U Zoologischer Garten
    S Savignyplatz, U15 Uhlandstra?e

2. bloodybunny commented
    November 10th, 2006 at 1:50pm

you can also visit the “Stilwerk”
    (it?s nearby the Kudamm)
    stilwerk Kantstr. 17, 10623 Berlin-Charlottenburg

S U Zoologischer Garten
    S Savignyplatz, U15 Uhlandstra?e

3. Viviane commented
    November 10th, 2006 at 1:56pm

Love your blog!
    The Jewish Museum in Berlin is very intresting and beautiful architecturally!
    Regards from Zurich, Switzerland,
    Viviane

4. decor8 commented
    November 10th, 2006 at 2:00pm

I want to check that out Viviane, I’ve only seen photos so far, I bet it’s amazing in person.

bloodybunny – I went to Stilwerk in Hamburg a few days ago, is it the same thing? I’ll have to check out the website. I love the zoo and gardens, so pretty… But it may be too cold, I’m trying to find indoor stuff and shopping since I want to find gifts and things for my home. Oh, by the way, what time is good for you tomorrow?

Holly

5. Anonymous commented
    November 10th, 2006 at 4:32pm

I second that idea to see the Jewish Museum. I haven’t seen Berlin so I have no advice to give you, though I want to wish you well on your Berlin adventure and bid you a safe farewell.

Your blog posts today amazed me. You’ve outdone yourself yet again.

Mona

6. JulesinLiverpool commented
    November 10th, 2006 at 5:46pm

Hey, I lived in Berlin last year for some time, so hopefully I can give you some tips for your trip. If you’re in the KaDeWe, you have to treat yourself with some super-yummy chocolate cake – its 3,50? a piece, but it’s worth it. If you’re looking for little independent shops, try Kastanienallee and Oderbergstra?e in Prenzlauer Berg, Bergmannstra?e in Kreuzberg or W?hlischstra?e in Friedrichshain (all suburbs of Berlin). There should be lots of small and funny shops, selling handmade bags, jewellery etc.
    Don’t forget to have a break in “Kauf dich gl?cklich” (which means “shop yourself happy”), where you can eat waffles and choose from different toppings, e.g hot cherries and cinnamon – they also sell handmade jewellery and you can relax on one of the retro couches. (now my mouth is watering ;)

Have a nice stay in Berlin
    Julia

7. JulesinLiverpool commented
    November 10th, 2006 at 5:47pm

Have a nice stay in Berlin
    Julia

8. decor8 commented
    November 10th, 2006 at 6:21pm

Julia danke danke danke!! You’ve made my day, this is super! I’m going to map these places out pronto.

xo
    Holly

9. Frau Dores commented
    November 10th, 2006 at 6:30pm

Hi there, I’ve been reading your blog quite a while. Thanks for all the interesting stuff!
    My suggestions for my currently hometown Berlin:
    Dont miss the “berlinomat”. Its a Store in Frankfurter Allee, where Berlin Designers sell their work. (look at berlinomat.com)
    And try Alte Sch?nhauser Stra?e in Berlin-Mitte.
    The suggestions Julia made, are also good.
    Have Fun in Berlin!!

10. ohmygooshness commented
    November 10th, 2006 at 6:34pm

Holly,

It looks like you are having so much fun on your trip…im jealous :) Hope you’ll have a great time and a safe trip, again, thanks for your support.

11. rebecca commented
    November 10th, 2006 at 8:25pm

I am going to Berlin next weekend! These tips are great and I cant wait to hear about all your finds too!

12. Anonymous commented
    November 10th, 2006 at 9:16pm

Holly I love you and I’m happy you are having a good time. We miss you back home. I can’t wait to see you again. I saw your mom the other day and she is very excited about your recent news and we loved your email.

THROWING BIG KISSES!!!

Your flickr photos are making me so sad because I want to be there with you guys. :***(

Hello to Tee!

kjgh

13. cruststation commented
    November 11th, 2006 at 10:22am

Have a great trip, looks like you are having so much fun (lol on your last trip to Berlin). Can’t wait to see yoru fresh finds.

14. Chloe commented
    November 13th, 2006 at 4:34pm

Hello!

The Jewish Museum is an amazing building and def worth a look. Also the Bauhaus Museum for original modernist furniture, graphics and textiles – very inspiring.

And while you’re in East Berlin, if you see any derelict buildings (that don’t look too dangerous) have a peep inside. I looked in one a couple of years ago and found a cinema, restaurant, open workshop and two floors of artists’ and designers’ studios which we were welcome to look round.

The staff at the Circus hostels (http://www.circus-berlin.de) know a lot about the hidden gems of east berlin.

Have fun!

15. ben commented
    November 13th, 2006 at 11:35pm

I love this place-

street address is oranienstrasse 26.

16. StyleSpion- Wohndesign commented
    November 14th, 2006 at 9:30am

You should check this: berlindesign.net