DIY: IKEA ALANG Table Lamp Transformation

Eric wrote in today to tell me about his IKEA hack DIY project, well at least he called it a hack, I call it genius. Great budget DIY job, Eric. Click here to see how Eric transformed the IKEA ALANG Table Lamp into a perky pendant (or two!).

Thanks for the tip, Eric. Great blog!

psst: If you like the pendants, but LOVE the wall in the background (I did!), then you’ll love what I discovered after digging around Eric’s blog. Check THIS out. It’s another DIY.

(image from modern self)

Posted by decor8 in diy, lighting on January 03, 2007

1. kiminottawa commented
    January 3rd, 2007 at 10:14pm

i sent a link to this post to my boyfriend to show him how easy it is to hang 2 pendants from same socket thingy and first thing he says is “what’s up with the cleavage shot?” :)

2. Miss Jamie commented
    January 3rd, 2007 at 10:43pm

Eric is BRILLIANT. I checked out the other page you receommended Holly on his DIY wall, and that too takes the cake!

3 Cheers for Eric! Ra Ra Ra!

3. Eric commented
    January 4th, 2007 at 6:00am

Yes, it is really easy to hang two pendants from one “socket thingy” in the ceiling. There is going to be two wires from your house/apartment usually a black and a white. It doesn’t matter which wire goes to which. Each pendant goes to each of the black and white wires. Since most circuits are 15 Amps, and the electricity is 120 Volts, you can get 1800 Watts from one circuit. If you are using 100 Watt bulbs, thats a total of 18 bulbs on each circuit, or more like 15 bulbs just to be safe. So 2 bulbs is no problem.

As for the cleavage shot, well my girlfriend and I just got back from a night out at the Laugh Factory and she was still in her going out clothes when I made her pose for the pictures. Maybe next time i’ll get infront of the camera and show a little skin. :-P

4. eric commented
    January 4th, 2007 at 6:02am

Miss Jamie,

Thanks for the encouragement, it really makes me want to go do some more projects around the ol pad.

5. kiminottawa commented
    January 4th, 2007 at 12:52pm

Thanks for all the info Eric!!!! All your hard work really paid off – your place looks fantastic!!!

6. designgal commented
    January 4th, 2007 at 8:52pm

cute

7. J. Yuan commented
    January 5th, 2007 at 5:59am

hmmm she is also using an apple computer.

8. Eric commented
    January 5th, 2007 at 6:53am

yes, she is using an iBook, but don’t worry I temporarily moved my PC out of the shot. We have our little Mac vs. PC battles now and again. I let her win.

9. Perla commented
    March 7th, 2012 at 11:36pm

I tried checking both links and now none of them work, I liked both ideas and look forward to learning how to do them.

10. Ingrid commented
    June 3rd, 2013 at 9:19pm

The link doesn’t work any more!
    I would like to see how it is mounted to the ceiling.