What Do You Think?

I love the bones of this space, and relish the thought of actually having a bedroom with such a dramatic ‘headboard’ such as the one shown here. I do think though that this arch isn’t being used in the best manner – there’s so much more that could be done to really enhance it. Add wallpaper or stencils or decals perhaps, or install impressive lighting, or simply add paint. What would you do to give this arch the respect and attention that it deserves? Or do you prefer it ‘as is’?

(image from marie claire maison)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts, inspiration, small business, walls on January 03, 2007

1. Jany commented
    January 3rd, 2007 at 3:06pm

Hi Holly!
    First of all: i wish a very happy and healthy new year to you and your family.

Concerning this wonderful arch, i would change the color to emphasize on it. I guess, to stay in the yellow shades as on the picture, i’ll paint it in some dark yellow or orange. This would make it cosier, too.

2. kiminottawa commented
    January 3rd, 2007 at 3:15pm

i agree…i would just paint the arch a shade darker than the walls. i really don’t like the pictures on the walls and how they’re hung. but one large one in the middle of the arch would be nice….and get rid of the chair….and new bed cover…get rid of the junk on bedside tables… ;)

3. erinn commented
    January 3rd, 2007 at 3:49pm

Definitely a different color within the arch would make it stand out more. Also, breaking the line of the pictures around the room inside the arch would make it much less mundane. I would love to see a large and maybe more colorful painting hung there, so the arch and the painting become the headboard.

4. Erin T commented
    January 3rd, 2007 at 4:33pm

I love the floor and the arch! I agree with the other posters though – I would like to see the inside of the arch painted a different shade or one larger more dramatic focal point than the four different size pictures. There are so many neat things you could do with that space.
    If it were my room, I would paint the walls a soft warm grey with the inside of the arch slightly darker than the rest of the room. I would get some graphic bedding in cream/charcoal like the Dwelledition Talon duvet, install wall-mounted swinging arm sconces on either side of the bed and get some quilted silk shams in a bold accent color. Then I’d put some fabulous light fixture in the center of the room and maybe add a Poul Kjaerholm-style Springing chair.
    Then I’d crawl into the bed with a bag of Pepperidge Farm cookies…

5. Anonymous commented
    January 3rd, 2007 at 5:51pm

Alternatively, what if one were to arrange all of the frames within the arch to really bring it out? That could be a really cheap way to bring more empahsis to the arch.
    -Cortney

6. pinkmohair commented
    January 3rd, 2007 at 6:29pm

Astroturf. Definitely, astroturf the inside of the arch. It’s the poor girl’s gold leaf. Otherwise, I agree with what the others said. Those pictures really diminish the arch’s drama.

Think molding mounted in a lattice pattern in the arch and painted a contrasting color would be outside the box, as well. And trellis stuff is so now.

7. pinkmohair commented
    January 3rd, 2007 at 6:30pm

That should be THIN molding, not THINK molding.

8. kiminottawa commented
    January 3rd, 2007 at 7:55pm

i just noticed the pattern in the hardwood….NICE!!!!!

9. Anonymous commented
    January 3rd, 2007 at 8:51pm

I think in order to use the arch’s full potential you must first start with the bed. The current bed is much too low and really not wide enough for the arch either. Start with a larger bed…lose the pictures, paint the wall in a contrasting color…maybe the tan color on the bed?

Or I remember a long time ago you featured some really really cool wallpaper that looked like tree branches coming down from the ceiling…That would be perfect…it would look like a window to your dreams.

10. AbbeyK commented
    January 3rd, 2007 at 9:52pm

No change needed. Less is more. I really like it.

Looks like the line of art continues around the room. The arch makes a nice relief from the horizontal line created with the art.

I think it works. It’s understated and edited and with the parquet floor, it might be too much going on with a paint color behind the arch AND with the art work all lined up.
    Then the room becomes something else. A completely different aesthetic.

I like the low bed with the high ceiling. If it’s France my guess is it might have floor to ceiling French doors opening on the other wall.

Well what’s so interesting. Everyone has different taste!

AbbeyK

11. ryan commented
    January 3rd, 2007 at 11:16pm

the only thing i would change would be the prints, something a little more coordinating, there is no unifying element, its too eclectic…but how amazing are those floors?

12. yuka commented
    January 4th, 2007 at 1:18am

very cute room as is, but i agree- they arent utilizing the ‘headboard’ as well as they could be. editing out the pictures and creating more of a focal point with contrasting color and only one pic, hanging lamp etc. would pull the whole room together. right now its “nice” but it could be ‘wow”

13. Courtney commented
    January 4th, 2007 at 2:09am

The magazine this is from, Marie Claire Masion looks awesome. Its only french? I can’t find it in Canada.

14. Blandwagon commented
    January 4th, 2007 at 3:07am

You’re right – the architecture is great but the decor is wrong.

I say the arch is feature enough for the room; to slather it in stencils or wallpaper would overpower it. The most I’d do to it was a paint it a slightly lighter shade to the rest of the walls, and install some subtle lighting to accentuate its curves at night.

The bedside tables are too large and cluttered for the space, and there are too many pictures in a straight line. The pictures should be clustered (even within the confines of the arch, possibly) and the tables replaced with something more discreet, like a couple of simple shelves.

Here endeth the lession :)

15. Anonymous commented
    January 4th, 2007 at 3:13am

I think they should put a very graphic wallpaper, nature inspired…trees w/birds, black and white… and a circular, starburst mirror near the top center. Get rid of the framed art in the arch. Get a bigger bed that goes from one edge of the arch to the other…that would require smaller side tables…get taller, more substantial lamps

16. Melanie commented
    January 4th, 2007 at 4:36pm

Oh the wonderful things you could do with color, paint and pattern in that room! I fell in love with the reacreation of Jeanne Lanvin’s 1920’s Paris apartment at the newly reopened Musee des arts decoratifs at the Louvre. It has been featured in quite a few magazines and I posted it also at http://www.artoflivingonline.com. It has similar arches and moldings, but this floor is WAY better. Her decorative dado treatment was done with embroidered fabric, but I would definitely do it with a stencil.

Judging from the comments above this room and its architectural features would be a great starting point for many different tastes and decorating styles :)

17. kayte commented
    January 4th, 2007 at 10:27pm

god, the floor is amazing!!!
    i think it needs some wallpaper in the arch, something vertical like a tree print.
    i am not the biggest fan of yellow either, but that’s just me ;)

18. Vajra commented
    January 5th, 2007 at 6:08pm

Yikes! Blogger lost my comment. I’ll try to remember.

Puhleeze! No wallpaper or other wall graphics. I would paint the alcove a contrasting color perhaps a dark cocoa or caf? au lait. I would lose the pictures. In fact, I would rehang all the art: I don’t think that having the bottom edges of the paintings level works. First I would create a headboard. Perhpas a Vern Yip hanging pillows headboard or just two large Euro squares in a deeper shade of chartreuse than the pillow on the right. The small chests are just a shade too large for the space they are in and the chair, which I love, is just sitting there. Why? What is it used for?

19. jill commented
    April 29th, 2007 at 1:13am

i would just change the artwork in the middle of the arch.