Indian Screen Swoon

January 7, 2007

I just came across a beautiful new read from North Carolina blogger, Amy Leonard (she just started blogging last week!) called Design DNA. I spotted an image that I just had to share with all of you, it’s this beautiful dressing area with shutters made using antique Indian screens. There is very little I wouldn’t do to have these in my home. I may even turn tricks. (kidding!) Imagine returning from a long day, stepping through doors like these into your dressing area or bedroom? Or, better yet, having these on the front of your house. These are positively grand. I need to seriously stop gazing at this image because it’s driving me nuts that they don’t belong to me! :)

Indian Screen Swoon

(image via design dna)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Miss Jamie January 7, 2007 at 2:28 am

• Reply decor8 January 7, 2007 at 6:39 am

yeah but it’s starting to break my heart to look at it because i found something that really SPEAKS to me and I HAVE NO CLUE how to attain it and once I do… well, I’m renting right now (plan to relocate and buy soon) so I can’t do much of anything even if I DID have these doors.

I depressed myself!! :) :)

• Reply julie January 7, 2007 at 10:45 pm

oh this is just stunning!!

• Reply Christina January 8, 2007 at 4:50 am

Check the flea markets, thrift stores, and “antique” stores for fancy decorative cutwork screens. They show up from time to time. Don’t worry about scratches, small broken bits, or whatever other small imperfections. 1.Once you find them (by which time you’ll probably have your house!), take the hinges off to seperate the pieces.
    2.Use a hardwood to frame around them to add width and depth. To the measurement of your doorway space. If you look at the pic, you’ll see that the framing boards are deeper than the screens. There is probably a groove cut into the framing boards into which the screens slide. The extra height needed to make a door from a screen is mostly at the bottom, I assume because doors get kicked and because the eyes look down last.
    3.Add hinges
    4.Hang the doors, or pay someone else to do so.
    5.Paint the doors to match wall/cabinets/personal wild color tastes. The paint will miraculously cure the mismatch between the screen wood & the framing wood, hide dings & scratches, and provide a fabulous finishing touch.

PS – my assvice is based on tongue & groove woodworking construction. Take a look at some sites like this one:
    Imagine that the plywood is a screen…
    There’s another word for this kind of door, but I’m the woodworker’s ex, not the woodworkier, and I’m blanking on it.

Anyway, it is a fairly simple project if you have woodworking tools or a friend with them. It’s even a fairly simple project to order from a custom cabinet maker.

• Reply My Marrakech January 8, 2007 at 5:07 am

This is beyond love for me, too!

• Reply decor8 January 8, 2007 at 7:03 am

thanks christina!

hi maryam! i miss you – i hope you are well. when will the guest house be ready for thorsten and i? i spoke to him the other day, he is ready to book our flights. i am dead serious. and my friend danielle just sent me a present – a book all about marrakesh design. she had no clue that i know you or even like morroco. i think it’s a sign to come visit you. :)

• Reply My Marrakech January 8, 2007 at 1:19 pm

Oh yay! Holly, would just love, love for you two to come! I hope (and pray) that the guest house will be ready in October 2007 but these things do slip (We have 25 workers…!). Definitely by December 2007. When can I expect you?:-)