Tree Wall Murals

I’ve been watching Catherine over at the Scrappy Girl blog pull together some concepts for a tree mural she’d like to have on her bedroom wall, extending onto the ceiling. After giving it much thought, I think Catherine should select a blue that is about 2-3 shades darker than her current wall color and free hand a tree silhouette that way. It would take a lot of the ‘pain’ out of the execution, given that Catherine isn’t a fine art painter (neither are most of us for that matter) and I’m sure she’s nervous about applying brush to wall. I’d suggest using a template on an overhead projector and penciling it on the wall, then filling it with paint. Here’s a few visuals for you if you’re not following me here.

Of course, this template was designed with a baby in mind, but you could find one that is more grown up, minus the birds, of course. I love the idea, especially extending over the window. Looks a bit like the same corner Catherine is looking to place the mural. Cathy, what do you think?

What do you think?

(images from bhg.com)

Posted by decor8 in blogs, diy, tips on January 08, 2007

1. Mary Beth Anderson commented
    January 8th, 2007 at 7:07pm

I whole heartedly agree…using a projector is the sure way to go. Laurie Smith did a HUGE tree mural on a wall for an episode for Trading Spaces that we shot in Austin, TX…it worked great and made a huge impact. The cool thing was that we painted it in with a burnt re/orangel color which made the mural look both like a tree and coral. I wish her luck!

2. pinkmohair commented
    January 8th, 2007 at 8:42pm

I think that is very funny because I saw this picture (was it at the Rooms I Heart group?) recently and was thinking about her blog as well. I was actually thinking silver for the tree (for me – I realize most would find that unappealing) but the projector idea is great. I think she’ll be very happy with it and it won’t cost an arm and a leg.

3. Anonymous commented
    January 8th, 2007 at 10:12pm

Where can you get this template and what are the paint colors?

4. holly commented
    January 8th, 2007 at 10:20pm

keep the birds! love the mural.

5. freshpinkstyle commented
    January 9th, 2007 at 12:05am

Wow, cool! I have been trying to come up with a way to do the same thing in my living room. I think a projecter is the way to go, as well. I found an image of tree on a wall in Nylon magazine in the Billabong office in SoCal that is amazing. Perhaps I will send it to Holly later to see if any other readers can tell how it was done, painted or possibly stick-on wall graphics.

6. Sara commented
    January 9th, 2007 at 1:36am

I think the template could be used (or adjusted) to look right in a more grown-up room as well. And definitely keep the birds!

7. decor8 commented
    January 9th, 2007 at 2:11am

anon – no clue. but the blue is something you could easily find at any paint store. try california paints, martha stewart paints, or benjamin moore.

as for a template, you can use a greeting card with a design you like or an illustration you saw in a book. it can be any size, any image. just lay it on the overhead projector and adjust the size and you should be all set.

h

8. Del4yo commented
    January 9th, 2007 at 5:08am

This is oh so cute! It’s funny I wanted to paint a branch on my future baby’s room in our new home.
    The room will be pale orange and I will use light brown and maybe green for the leaves.
    I was also thinking of putting small shelves and hangers to be able to display soft toys and picture books in the tree..

9. kylie commented
    January 10th, 2007 at 5:58am

OH! I creating my baby’s nursery right now! (boy in 3 months). This is a fabulous idea. If only mine could look that good though….

Thanks for the ideas!

10. Anonymous commented
    January 11th, 2007 at 1:38am

Any idea where the adorable bedding, pillows, and furniture are from? I love the cute rugs!

11. decor8 commented
    January 11th, 2007 at 2:00am

sure! the bedding looks like the motif robin crib bedding from dwellbaby.

the pillows look like the felt-y ones that hable construction sells, especially the sundae. http://www.hableconstruction.com

the animal pillow is from salvor fauna:

the rug looks like an angela adms, maybe it’s this one:

hope this helps you out on your quest!

Holly

12. Anonymous commented
    March 22nd, 2007 at 7:25pm

I love this idea as well! I actually painted the tree in the entryway of our home and I am going to put black and white pictures of my family. Essentially, it’s going to be our family tree. I put grandparents on the top and so on. So far it looks really amazing and I can’t wait to get all of the pictures hung. I’ve ordered a plack that will say “family” and put that above…it should look neat!

13. Anonymous commented
    December 27th, 2007 at 12:55am

I also loved this room idea the first time that I saw it in a magazine. I no longer have the magazine but I do remember that the paint colors are both from Sherwin Williams. The main color on the wall is called “Spa” and I think that the tree color is “Aquarium”.

14. Anonymous commented
    January 13th, 2008 at 7:22pm

where could you find an overhead projector to use to pencil the design on the wall? Are you able to rent them?

15. Anonymous commented
    January 14th, 2008 at 9:27pm

I am going to try this tree concept in my youngest daughter’s room. But do you have any ideas of a similar, sophisticated type of mural design I could try in my older daughter’s room (she will be 3, but I don’t want something that is too childish) — something that still has the same style vibe as this tree, but that would go with a “spring flowers” theme without painting huge, bright flowers on the walls. The bedding is this: http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/gb10/index.cfm?pkey=cbdggqt%7Ck

16. Anonymous commented
    May 25th, 2008 at 4:49am

I really like the design of the tree. Something different than one would expect in a girl’s room. Great job. We’ve found these wall decals from ZOZO Living which are very easy to apply and they look stunning.