uncategorized

Tree Wall Murals: Your Thoughts?

January 8, 2007

I’ve been watching Catherine over at the Scrappy Girl blog pull together some concepts for a tree mural she’d like to have on her bedroom wall, extending onto the ceiling. After giving it much thought, I think Catherine should select a blue that is about 2-3 shades darker than her current wall color and free hand a tree silhouette that way. It would take a lot of the ‘pain’ out of the execution, given that Catherine isn’t a fine art painter (neither are most of us for that matter) and I’m sure she’s nervous about applying brush to wall. I’d suggest using a template on an overhead projector and penciling it on the wall, then filling it with paint. Here’s a few visuals for you if you’re not following me here.

Tree Wall Murals: Your Thoughts?Of course, this template was designed with a baby in mind, but you could find one that is more grown up, minus the birds, of course. I love the idea, especially extending over the window. Looks a bit like the same corner Catherine is looking to place the mural. Cathy, what do you think?

Tree Wall Murals: Your Thoughts?

What do you think?

(images from bhg.com)

You Might Also Like

16 Comments

• Reply Mary Beth Anderson January 8, 2007 at 7:07 pm

I whole heartedly agree…using a projector is the sure way to go. Laurie Smith did a HUGE tree mural on a wall for an episode for Trading Spaces that we shot in Austin, TX…it worked great and made a huge impact. The cool thing was that we painted it in with a burnt re/orangel color which made the mural look both like a tree and coral. I wish her luck!

• Reply pinkmohair January 8, 2007 at 8:42 pm

I think that is very funny because I saw this picture (was it at the Rooms I Heart group?) recently and was thinking about her blog as well. I was actually thinking silver for the tree (for me – I realize most would find that unappealing) but the projector idea is great. I think she’ll be very happy with it and it won’t cost an arm and a leg.

• Reply Anonymous January 8, 2007 at 10:12 pm

Where can you get this template and what are the paint colors?

• Reply holly January 8, 2007 at 10:20 pm

keep the birds! love the mural.

• Reply freshpinkstyle January 9, 2007 at 12:05 am

Wow, cool! I have been trying to come up with a way to do the same thing in my living room. I think a projecter is the way to go, as well. I found an image of tree on a wall in Nylon magazine in the Billabong office in SoCal that is amazing. Perhaps I will send it to Holly later to see if any other readers can tell how it was done, painted or possibly stick-on wall graphics.

• Reply Sara January 9, 2007 at 1:36 am

I think the template could be used (or adjusted) to look right in a more grown-up room as well. And definitely keep the birds!

• Reply decor8 January 9, 2007 at 2:11 am

anon – no clue. but the blue is something you could easily find at any paint store. try california paints, martha stewart paints, or benjamin moore.

as for a template, you can use a greeting card with a design you like or an illustration you saw in a book. it can be any size, any image. just lay it on the overhead projector and adjust the size and you should be all set.

h

• Reply Del4yo January 9, 2007 at 5:08 am

This is oh so cute! It’s funny I wanted to paint a branch on my future baby’s room in our new home.
    The room will be pale orange and I will use light brown and maybe green for the leaves.
    I was also thinking of putting small shelves and hangers to be able to display soft toys and picture books in the tree..

• Reply kylie January 10, 2007 at 5:58 am

OH! I creating my baby’s nursery right now! (boy in 3 months). This is a fabulous idea. If only mine could look that good though….

Thanks for the ideas!

• Reply Anonymous January 11, 2007 at 1:38 am

Any idea where the adorable bedding, pillows, and furniture are from? I love the cute rugs!

• Reply decor8 January 11, 2007 at 2:00 am

sure! the bedding looks like the motif robin crib bedding from dwellbaby.

the pillows look like the felt-y ones that hable construction sells, especially the sundae. http://www.hableconstruction.com

the animal pillow is from salvor fauna:

the rug looks like an angela adms, maybe it’s this one:

hope this helps you out on your quest!

Holly

• Reply Anonymous March 22, 2007 at 7:25 pm

I love this idea as well! I actually painted the tree in the entryway of our home and I am going to put black and white pictures of my family. Essentially, it’s going to be our family tree. I put grandparents on the top and so on. So far it looks really amazing and I can’t wait to get all of the pictures hung. I’ve ordered a plack that will say “family” and put that above…it should look neat!

• Reply Anonymous December 27, 2007 at 12:55 am

I also loved this room idea the first time that I saw it in a magazine. I no longer have the magazine but I do remember that the paint colors are both from Sherwin Williams. The main color on the wall is called “Spa” and I think that the tree color is “Aquarium”.

• Reply Anonymous January 13, 2008 at 7:22 pm

where could you find an overhead projector to use to pencil the design on the wall? Are you able to rent them?

• Reply Anonymous January 14, 2008 at 9:27 pm

I am going to try this tree concept in my youngest daughter’s room. But do you have any ideas of a similar, sophisticated type of mural design I could try in my older daughter’s room (she will be 3, but I don’t want something that is too childish) — something that still has the same style vibe as this tree, but that would go with a “spring flowers” theme without painting huge, bright flowers on the walls. The bedding is this: http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/gb10/index.cfm?pkey=cbdggqt%7Ck

• Reply Anonymous May 25, 2008 at 4:49 am

I really like the design of the tree. Something different than one would expect in a girl’s room. Great job. We’ve found these wall decals from ZOZO Living which are very easy to apply and they look stunning.