Artist Seeks To Connect With Stores/Galleries

Lorena wrote in to introduce me to her handmade wall art using found papers on plywood. She is a talented illustrator and artist that recently relocated from the east coast (NY) to the west (San Francisco) and currently has her pieces online at Velocity Art + Design and in few SF and NY stores. Lorena is currently looking for exposure in other big cities, she’d like to branch out into Boston, Chicago, Miami, and LA. She’s asked if we could make some suggestions for her on urban stores or interesting galleries that may be interested in her work? Ones that you have personal experience with only, please.

Here’s a partial bio, thanks to Velocity, “Lorena Siminovich (born in Buenos Aires) is a San Francisco based artist, designer and illustrator. With a background in graphic design, and an extensive career as an art director in NY for children’s products, she also started recently to work in children’s books. Her latest endeavor, petit collage, started with the idea of offering affordable art for children (and grownups!), with a contemporary feel.”

Off the cuff, I can think of several, so I plan to email her right away. I may miss some though. Do you have any in mind?

Thanks for writing in, Lorena. Best of success!

(image from lorena)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts, reader questions on January 11, 2007

1. pinkmohair commented
    January 11th, 2007 at 4:38am

I ordered one of her pieces last month and I LOVE it. Take a look:

Unfortunately, I live in none of these metro places so cannot help you but I’m glad she is getting more recognition. Thanks for featuring her.

2. Elana commented
    January 11th, 2007 at 4:52pm

I live in Los Angeles, and there is a great shop called ReForm School that does shows. They are having an Alyson Fox show this weekend and a Lisa Congdon show in Feb. I think her stuff would be great there.

There’s also a new gallery called Tinlark (www.tinlark.com) that might work, and another called Gallery Revisited (www.galleryrevisited.com) run by artist Leora Lutz. This place has lots of great mixed media stuff that I think would be a good match. Also, the gallery is joined with a store called Sumi’s which sells art (among other things)
    hope that helps somewhat!
    -Elana

3. Jess commented
    January 11th, 2007 at 5:03pm

I can envision Lorena’s work at these Chicago shops. They sell well-designed home decor, quirky kids clothing and accessories, and arty paper goods. The vibe is fun and upbeat.

Hangar 18
    About Hangar 18:

Urban General Store

Good luck!

4. hiphostess commented
    January 11th, 2007 at 9:03pm

These are so great! I especially love the owl and the elephant designs..way too cute :)

5. decor8 commented
    January 11th, 2007 at 11:32pm

thank you for your suggestions? anyone else have some ideas? i suggested SHOW in LA or maybe FIGMENTS in Providence. I have to think of some Boston stores… I know there are some that this would work in.

6. Julie commented
    January 14th, 2007 at 5:40am

Hi, Julie from virtu in Chicago, here. I’d love to have these at our store. How to get in touch with Lorena? While I ususally don’t advertise like this, I adore paper, color, and kids. Would love to see more work like this. I’m at http://www.virtuchicago.com