Round-ups, Shopping + Products

Friday Finds at Urban Outfitters {budget}

January 12, 2007

When it comes to finding a stylish bargain, head to stores where the college crowd shops, that’s a good way to find items that are on trend and cheap. Sure, some of these items won’t last for 50 years, but the way we change our minds, it’s not a big deal to recycle items you tire of after awhile via your local thrift shop. Especially when it comes to accessories. We change them like underwear anyway, let’s face it.

Here are a few great finds for spring from Urban Outfitters that will keep your pad looking sweet while keeping you at, or even below, budget. Love that! Here are some of my picks:

Friday Finds at Urban Outfitters {budget}Great danish modern side table for $120, puffin art by eleanor groych for $12, tweet art from kate sutton for $12, pretty reversible imari quilt for $100, and a woodcut feather printed rug $28.

Friday Finds at Urban Outfitters {budget}I’m loving these fun Eleanor Groych pillows (isn’t she the best?). A quail, owl, and a sandpiper for only $24 each.

Friday Finds at Urban Outfitters {budget}I like this lattice duvet for $60 and great lacquer-blue lamp for $36, too.

Friday Finds at Urban Outfitters {budget}
Friday Finds at Urban Outfitters {budget}Here are some more pillows – 4 priced at only $20 each that are really 8 because each is reversible (malawi lake, red mosaic, zig zag, and the diamond ring). Love that — double duty on a budget!

Friday Finds at Urban Outfitters {budget}And… (Drum roll please.) I’ve saved the best for last. Four fab silhouette cuckoo clocks in great patterns and colors (I love the natural faux bois with the white floral pattern) for only $32!

(images from urban outfitters)

23 Comments

• Reply MissK January 12, 2007 at 12:06 pm

These cuckoo clocks are popping up everywhere these days.

• Reply sk8ordiehard January 12, 2007 at 12:46 pm

I just bought 2 of the side tables for my bedroom. I love them (though they aren’t the highest quality) and for anyone else interested they are Adesso’s Portland line. I priced them around a bit and UO was the cheapest by far! Adesso also makes a side table with 2 drawers in the same line that are tooooo cute.

• Reply JHAYNE January 12, 2007 at 3:34 pm

I’ve seen in the store a small rug that has the same design as the Imari quilt. . .it is a fabulous pop of color!

• Reply kiminottawa January 12, 2007 at 5:10 pm

ohmigod i love all of this!!!! i finally have to to get off my a** and take a trip to Montreal (2 hr drive – the closest U.O.) and see all this in person!!

• Reply Anonymous January 12, 2007 at 5:11 pm

wow; thanks! I never consider going in there – – I thought it was a teenager store!

• Reply melissa January 12, 2007 at 6:20 pm

wow, thanks for these fun, trendy and AFFORDABLE!! finds :) designsponge posted almost the exact same items from UO (after you did). this happens a lot. i wonder how dedicated bloggers feel about this – their posts showing up in different places. i’m sure some of the time it is just a coincidence but other times it can’t be :(

• Reply holly January 12, 2007 at 6:31 pm

so fantastic! i always forget to check urban outfitters.

• Reply decor8 January 12, 2007 at 6:44 pm

like most women who are not that far apart in age or demographics, we can sometimes have similiar tastes. i can totally understand how it happens and don’t care in the least. it happens vice versa too, it’s not a big deal.

when i post something i saw on another blog, i credit that blogger in the post (look what style files found… for instance). if i didn’t find it on someone else’s blog, but on my own time, then i write it and call it my own.

we all read the same magazines and are into the same shows, sometimes many of us are on the same page. i.e. i recently did a sofa post and domino posted about a sofa and so did a bunch of other blogs. it’s not because we were stealing eachothers stuff, it could just be that since room and board released their catalog this week and most of us got it around the same time, it planted SOFA in our brains so we blogged about them. you see what i mean?

i think too that it’s a good idea to appreciate what each blogger brings to the table. true, someone may blog about some products they loved, and sure, they may be the same ones that i love, but they have readers i do not have (and vice versa) and they have a different take on the products or uses for them, etc. or even product shots or whatever.

when i see something on several blogs, i always think “wow this must be a great product, lots of people seem to be liking it, maybe i should investigate this further”.

thanks for your question – it’s a good one!!

• Reply melissa January 12, 2007 at 8:20 pm

thanks Holly for your response! I wasn’t trying to accuse anybody of ripping anybody off (I hope I didn’t come off that way :) I was just curious how bloggers feel about when the same things show up elsewhere. Many blogs (Apartment Therapy is a great example, and you do it too) are really good about saying “Look what we saw over on Design-Milk, TreeHugger, etc.” I think it’s nice to give credit where credit is due, but also understand how people in the same demographic who receive the same e-mails and catalogs from vendors and manufacturers often end up with the same posts on their blogs.
    Your take on the products is always my favorite, of course! I really appreciate your mature design savvy and well-thought out musings as well as the information you present.

• Reply K J January 12, 2007 at 11:31 pm

I just started my own blog a few months ago and I’m noticing that lots of us get emails on the same days. I feel silly when I post something and realize that we all got press releases. I got one from Urban Outfitters last week and now I feel silly if I post it- who do I credit? Apartment Therapy? the email? Decor8? I saw it at Shelterrific, too, do I credit them? Urgh, decisions decisions. I’ve always felt like crediting for big stuff like this seems pointless.

Kaja

• Reply Anonymous January 12, 2007 at 11:53 pm

As an advid reader of a huge slew of design blogs i find that there are a lot of overlap. Interestingly though, design sponge always seems to have the classiest presentation and the latest finds.
    This blog is very nice too! I find that the inordinate amount of text text text wears me down. But like most people, we just skim it for photos in a feed.

Tracey

• Reply mostlymargie January 13, 2007 at 12:03 am

I personally don’t mind overlap. It just shows me that something is popular and interesting. That is wrong because???

Why should bloggers have to scan all the others before they post? big damn deal if the same thing is featured on several blogs. oooooo.

I doubt domino calls blueprint to get a ‘headsup’ on what they will feature next to okay it by them.

it’s a blog for christs sake, not the wsj!

• Reply mostlymargie January 13, 2007 at 12:09 am

This comment is meant for Tracey: Why do you read a “huge slew of design blogs” if you find there is “a lot of overlap”? Why don’t you stick to a few favorites like I do? Just wondering… I mean, you seem like you have a total ‘tude about it with your backhanded compliment so I personally would like an explanation.

• Reply decor8 January 13, 2007 at 12:42 am

eep!

um… well…

How about them cuckoo clocks ladies??

Holly

• Reply kiminottawa January 13, 2007 at 1:17 am

i’ll change the subject….why are none of you posting about U.O.’s FAB new chair???? (i mentionned this at d*s too)

• Reply decor8 January 13, 2007 at 1:34 am

I’m sorry kim but the pattern didn’t appeal to me. maybe i have to see it in person, right? do you own it? have you seen it live? some of their stuff looks bad on their site and GREAT in their store, and vice versa.

• Reply kiminottawa January 13, 2007 at 1:38 am

i don’t own it…i’d have to take a day trip to montreal to check it out. I have a sinking feeling the pattern looks better from afar. i could get one of those clocks instead, and the table…some pillows…! i like so much of their new stuff – it would be worth the 2 hour drive just to go to that store.

• Reply Anonymous January 13, 2007 at 1:50 am

Tracey, your comment was extremely rude. If you don’t like the “text text text” then why don’t you just read a blog that appeals to you more versus posting negative commentary here?
    I love it that Holly takes the time to write real posts. If you think that design*sponge, with her all-lower-case posts, materialistic attitude, privileged buy-it-all me-me-me voice, poor grammar and syntactical errors is an example of the “classiest presentation and the latest finds”, than why do you even bother with the intellectual design discussion found here?

• Reply kiminottawa January 13, 2007 at 1:56 am

yikes…..that’s gotta hurt

• Reply decor8 January 13, 2007 at 2:17 am

I’m uncomfortable with this conversation and it really bothers me. I hope you’ll respect my wishes and refrain from posting anything else negative about those in the blogging community.

Holly

• Reply Anonymous January 13, 2007 at 6:15 pm

I just bought the cuckoo clock and the sandpiper pillow. I love birds (even before the current bird design craze) and it is so tempting to not have my whole place accessorized with birds but I do love sandpipers so I just had to. Oh yea, and I bought the canvas with the pirate bird in his birdbath too (for my daughter who is obsessed with birds and pirates). Can’t wait for it all to arrive.

• Reply Heather Moore January 15, 2007 at 6:51 am

I’ve not been blogging for a very long time, but one of the things I’ve been most impressed about is the kindness and generosity I’ve encountered from so many people out there, including the big’uns, like Holly and like Grace. You guys are brill!

• Reply Search Engine January 29, 2007 at 5:52 pm

Urban Outfitters has some amazing stuff… I pretty much everything… I did wish that they had punk t shirts from Urbane Couture.