Books + Magazines, DIY

Shredded Bliss DIY Project

January 16, 2007

I found a fun and inexpensive DIY project in the Budget Living “Home Cheap Home” book last night (it’s amazing what you discover when you sort through your bookcase). I’ve flipped through it so many times and never came across page 139 until it nearly hit me in the face last night as it flew off the book shelf, landing with DIY project, Shredded Bliss, looking straight up at me. This is the coolest and cheapest project ever, and I’m imaging it’s a bit challenging and fun to boot. If you don’t have the book (shame on you!), I’ll insert the instructions from the book just below the image. Have fun!

Shredded Bliss DIY Project
Shredded Bliss How To: Grab all the magazines you’d like to incorporate into this project, issues you won’t mind sending to the shredder, that is. Find a shredder that creates strips (try Staples where you can find them for around $20) and feed your colorful pages through it. Collect the strips that appeal to you the most, that work within your desired palette and the ‘look’ that you’re going for. Grab a narrow paintbrush and apply a craft glue to the back of each strip (Budget Living suggests Delta Sobo from Dick Blick. Locals: There’s a Blick across from the new West Elm over by Fenway Park, they have it.).

Place the strips in a pattern on a dry, clean, smooth wall and allow them to set overnight. The next day, brush on an even coat of clear sealant. Let that dry overnight and viola! You’ve just given your walls a facelift for less than the cost of one roll of wallpaper. Budget Living shows it in a bathroom, but with the moisture factor to consider, I’d suggest this project for a small office space, entry way, guest bathroom (no shower/tub), or just for one wall – behind the bed or your work area, for instance. If you have a galley kitchen, this would look great on the back wall. By the way, Home Cheap Home is loaded with excellent projects, the focus being on use what you have vs. constant spending, so I highly suggest picking up a copy.

Here’s the cover:

Shredded Bliss DIY ProjectAnd here’s another cool project that is totally animal friendly and easy to create in an afternoon. Use white linoleum, cut it into the shape of a zebra rug, and paint the black stripes yourself. I especially love the Gucci heels flung by the rug, but I have no clue how you can DIY those…

Shredded Bliss DIY Project
Learn more about this book over at Wilson Art (great website for designers, by the way). Grab a copy of this book for under $15 here.

(images via wilson art)

You Might Also Like

13 Comments

• Reply Anonymous January 17, 2007 at 2:26 am

i love the magazine strips idea! as a renter, would they be easy to remove and not do any permanent damage?

• Reply Rachelle January 17, 2007 at 2:52 am

I just bought that book a few weeks ago. I second that its full of awesome ideas and projects!

• Reply decor8 January 17, 2007 at 2:53 am

Rachelle, did you have a fave project in there or anything that you’ve tried yet?

• Reply monie January 17, 2007 at 3:32 am

That’s so bizarre…my mom found “home cheap home” in a bargain bin & I was just leafing through it over christmas! It now resides on my bookshelf….

• Reply decor8 January 17, 2007 at 3:33 am

yeah it’s funny monie how some of the best books end up in the sales bins!

• Reply decor8 January 17, 2007 at 3:39 am

oh anon, your question… I meant to answer you earlier, sorry.

I would do some research on the products you’ll be using (mainly the clean sealant you end up going with), and see how easy that is to remove. The glue and paper strips wouldn’t be too tough, soapy water or water and vinegar and a scoring tool(like you’d use for wallpaper) should do it. Just be careful not to penetrate the drywall!

But again, it depends on the sealant. Definately ask a pro at Home Depot before jumping on this project.

If you can’t do it on the walls, go for the next best thing, a canvas (as art) or a huge piece of wood to lean against the wall. Paint it first (white) of course.

Holly

• Reply JHAYNE January 17, 2007 at 3:56 am

funny, i was going through an old stack of magazines last night and came across a few issues of the now defunt budget living mag; one of which had a great project to turn old t-shirts into a duvet. it’s too bad they’re no longer publishing the mag, i really enjoyed it. . .but look like this is a great book!

• Reply Ellen Leigh January 17, 2007 at 3:43 pm

What a fun idea, and it recycles magazines too! I especially like your idea to use the strips on canvas too, fun DIY art!

• Reply Anonymous January 18, 2007 at 11:06 pm

anyone have any idea where i can find a coffee table like the one in the picture with the zebra rug? double-decker glass, but modern-looking?

• Reply Anonymous January 18, 2007 at 11:07 pm

anyone know where i can find a coffee table like the one pictured with the zebra rug? double-decker glass, yet modern?

• Reply brooke w January 18, 2007 at 11:52 pm

I love this idea… it’s perfect for something like the wall at the end of a hallway! I’m in the midst of a gut renovation right now (see http://www.dominomag.com/daily/blogs/renovator/ for the full saga) and it’s so great to take a break from thinking about flooding basements and wall framing to contemplate beautiful wall treatments. Can’t wait till I get to do things like that in my place!

• Reply decor8 January 19, 2007 at 7:38 pm

Hi Brooke,
    I’ve been following your gut reno since you started blogging for Domino. You are doing a great job, but I know how hard a gut reno can be so I’m sure your life is just one big telephone right now (calling contractors, tracking down vendors, confirming appointments)… I’m sure you are dying to be on the other side of all of this, huh?

Holly

• Reply Anonymous January 22, 2007 at 3:03 am

Yep. More than I can possibly say…