Trends

Trends 2007: Mad About Morocco!

January 23, 2007

I’m hearing lots of buzz about the Moroccan look, derived from Hispanic-Moorish style influences, bursting with warmth and energy. Before Canadian House + Home spotted the Modern Moor as a hot trend for ’07, I was already seeing it popping up here in the states and last year, over in Germany, too. H+H says that the Modern Moor look avoids “busy” ethnic interiors by “modernizing the classic motifs and stripping them down to their pure and graphic essence.”

Seems culturally inspired decor is popular everywhere you look, Moroccan being one of my favorites because it’s not only welcoming, warm, and somewhat inexpensive, but it’s easy to pull together and adds lots of personality to a space. You don’t have to go over the top with it either. A throw rug, some toss pillows, a bright yellow lamp, an accent wall, and that’s all you need to pull together a rockin’ little casbah of your very own.

Modern Moor is all about dotting your space with a few key accessories and keeping it simple. This post will celebrate both the modern take, and the classic Moroccan style which incorporates a more layered and ethnic flair, allowing you to pick and choose a look that is right for you.

Trends 2007: Mad About Morocco!Clockwise from top left: Morocco headboard from West Elm, the gorgeous Trocadero lamp from Cottage + Bungalow, the camel shawl/throw from Virginia Johnson, Moroccan tile sheet set from Urban Outfitters, Handan stool from Pier 1, Zid Zid Kids poofs, and blue tea glasses from the Moroccan Bazaar.

Trends 2007: Mad About Morocco!A Morocco window rug from West Elm and the gorgeous Moroccan carpets from Bev Hisey add desert chic to your floors. I’m nuts about this yellow rug!

Trends 2007: Mad About Morocco!Camel toss pillows in four vibrant colors create the mood. Pillows from Virginia Johnson. Also favorites of mine.

Trends 2007: Mad About Morocco!Ah. The Marrakesh collection [bed, desk, chest, bookcase] from Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams. That bed would look perfect with all white linens and shams with a black border. A bright grass green throw at the bottom and a few green camel pillows from Virginia Johnson completes the look.

Trends 2007: Mad About Morocco!Clockwise from top left: Marrakesh chair from Conran in blue, Salvor Fauna Camel wall hanging from Design Public, an authentic blue lantern, Moroccan side tables from Garnet Hill, and a Moorish wine rack from Cost Plus World Market. The Camel wall hanging is my pick!

Trends 2007: Mad About Morocco!Yum. Leather poofs in ice cream colors and delicious white cutout tea light holders from Graham + Green. I’ll take my poof in white, please.

Trends 2007: Mad About Morocco!Don’t you love the patterns on these Moroccan plates? They would look beautiful arranged over a credenza or chest of drawers. Most are only around $19 each! I love all of ’em!

Trends 2007: Mad About Morocco!Found! One sweet Moroccan Trends 2007: Mad About Morocco!You simply must visit Mosaic House in NYC for these stunning tiles. Or online. Perfect selection.

Trends 2007: Mad About Morocco!Food: Add some flavor to your table with this great Olive Oil from Williams Sonoma, Moroccan lamb dish from Martha Stewart or Moroccan Braised Chicken or the Lamb Chops with Moroccan Spices from Williams Sonoma. Pick up Made in Morocco by Julie Le Clerc and John Bougen and whip up some other amazing eats.

Trends 2007: Mad About Morocco!Books: Moroccan Interiors: 25th Anniversary edition, New Moroccan Style, Moroccan Silk Designs in Full Color, Living in Morocco: Design from Casablanca to Marrakesh, and Alberto Pinto Orientalism. Music tip: Bring a little Arabic Groove into your home for the ultimate Moroccan atmosphere. Light some candles, serve that delish chicken dish shown above, and press play.

Blogs: My Marrakesh and Moroccan Decor are great. The View from Morocco is another gem to check out.

Online Stores: Les Hommes Blue, Nine Seas Decor, The Moroccan Bazaar, and Casbah Decor are dedicated to Moroccan decor like you wouldn’t believe. Jam packed!

Paint suggestions (from Benjamin Moore): Think earthy desert colors, a rich red (Moroccan Red 1309) a perky coral, gold tones, or bold blue. Teals are pretty too. (I like Teal Tone 663.) If you want to keep to the Moorish Modern look, use a perfect white like Decorators’ White (my pick) as your ‘canvas’ color. Then, mix in a few bright bursts via accent pieces. If you want to make your look more ethnic, go for a rich color.

Visiting Morocco? Here are some great shopping tips from resident expert, Maryam.

And finally, here are a few photos to inspire you from Alberto Pinto, Mosaic House, and Domino. Remember, you can go as far as you want with this look, or as minimal. It’s really up to you. You don’t have to Moroc-ify everything, grab a white leather poof and mix it in with your ghost chair and hardwood floors. You don’t have to play by any rules, just have fun!

Trends 2007: Mad About Morocco!Alberto Pinto

Trends 2007: Mad About Morocco! Mosaic Home

Trends 2007: Mad About Morocco!Alberto Pinto

Trends 2007: Mad About Morocco!Alberto Pinto

Trends 2007: Mad About Morocco!Domino

I’d like to thank my friend Maryam from My Marrakesh, an amazing blogger who has shown me a new world through her eyes and because of her blog, I was able to find some of these great items. Thanks, Maryam!

Next Trend for ’07 to check out… Beautiful Botany. Stay tuned!

[By the way, most of these finds and tips are my own, including the book, blog, and paint suggestions. I took the Modern Moorish page from House and Home and ran with it, creating what I think would fit every budget, and even a broader style, not just modern but also a very ethnic, authentic look. I hope you enjoy it!]

You Might Also Like

21 Comments

• Reply Trisha January 23, 2007 at 2:29 pm

I love this post. Thanks for highlighting these trends! Can’t wait to see the next one.

• Reply mymolly January 23, 2007 at 3:26 pm

• Reply AMY January 23, 2007 at 3:37 pm

*Yay* This is exactly what I needed to see today. Mooo-wah (kiss)

KIM

• Reply My Marrakech January 23, 2007 at 4:00 pm

Aw Holly, you were my inspiration to begin blogging in the first place. So thank YOU!
    PS Can’t wait to see you in Marrakesh.

xoxox

• Reply My Marrakech January 23, 2007 at 4:03 pm

Aw, Holly. You were my inspiration to start blogging in the first place. So thank YOU.

PS Can’t wait to see you in Marrakesh! You, Julie (ZidZid Kids) and I are going to have an *amazing* time.

xoxox

• Reply Anonymous January 23, 2007 at 5:30 pm

Great finds! Thank you for posting so many beautiful finds. I’ve been dream-traveling through Morocco via Maryam’s blog, too.

• Reply JHAYNE January 23, 2007 at 11:09 pm

awesome post. . .love those rugs! looking forward to your next report!

• Reply becky January 24, 2007 at 12:08 am

Wow – I can tell you put so much effort into this post. I just love Virginia Johnson – I believe the kate spade store used to carry her raincoats, and I think she is the artist who did some of the prints in the kate spade books. I am in love with the camels and the owls as well.

• Reply Liosliath January 24, 2007 at 1:37 am

Great post, very well put together – now I have to go shop…

• Reply Heather Moore January 24, 2007 at 9:56 am

jeepers, you’re incredible! That was quite some post. thanks

• Reply IMEDAGOZE January 24, 2007 at 11:00 am

Thank you so much for compiling all your finds and tips on Moroccan trends. Definitely a terrific source of inspiration!

• Reply GC January 24, 2007 at 5:27 pm

Great post, but it kind of breaks my heart. We just ordered custom-cut mirror in the shape of a Moorish arch for our bathroom. =(
    I hate to think that this whole thing will become the next “Tuscan” for the soccer moms in the ‘burbs. I still love it though!

• Reply muse January 25, 2007 at 5:15 am

Only one thing missing from this fabulous list: an authentic tagine pot!

• Reply Jill Clarkson January 26, 2007 at 12:06 am

ooh lala. that’s some eye candy! thanks!!

• Reply Melanie January 26, 2007 at 5:12 pm

These trend posts are soup to nuts gems! I’m linking….

• Reply Moroccan Home Decor February 8, 2007 at 11:14 pm

Great pictures!! colors are mucho Bueno!!! :)

• Reply Moroccan Home Decor February 8, 2007 at 11:16 pm

Great post… Colors + colors + colors=Morocco

• Reply Lo April 24, 2007 at 4:21 pm

i used to work for Mosaic House.
    and now work for Victoria Hagan Home.

it excites me that you’ve got blogs about them both.

p.s. love your site. and i still love love love everything from Mosaic House, trend or not.

• Reply Abs May 12, 2007 at 6:41 am

This is the most comprehensive look at the beauty of Moroccan design I have ever design. Congratulations on this excellent post.

• Reply Val January 26, 2008 at 9:03 pm

Hi, I am really in love with Marocco, you can have a look at the pictures I took in 2002 and in 2007

• Reply Anonymous March 5, 2008 at 5:12 am

Hello everyone. My name is Brian Timmons, i’m an interior desiger in the bay area. I’ve done so many projects Mediterranean style as well as Moroccan & Moorish inspired home decor.
    We do have a local store here in San Francisco, California called Saint Tropez boutique they have some amazing quality handcrafted Moorish tiles, Moroccan mosaic tiles ” zillij”, Moroccan lighting, Moorish wood lattice screens and much more.
    you got to see this store, everything is amazing and unique.
    You may see them online at :

or visit they beautiful showroom in San Francisco at: