Trends for 2007 – Ready, Set, Go!

Quick poll… Your top five nesting magazines? I sink my teeth into Selvedge, Domino, Living Etc, Elle UK, and Canadian House + Home, examining, reading, marking, tearing… I’d say they easily qualify as my top five. The January Canadian H+H was the strongest of the bunch this month though because they carved out a mouth-watering section devoted exclusively to ten hot trends for ’07.

For those of you that missed this issue*, I’ll highlight some of these trends here on decor8 this week, along with adding my own picks for places (on the web) where you can find items to create the look. I’ll also throw in paint colors that I suggest — hues that best suit the trend. That way, if you feel like painting your walls, you’ll at least have a few color choices. I work with three key lines; Pittsburg Paints, California Paints, and Benjamin Moore. Since Ben Moore is the most affordable, and provides exceptional coverage for the money, I’ll list most of the paint options from Ben Moore. I’ll also try to throw in some fabric options, lighting, furniture, book suggestions, even music and food just for a fun twist.

Ready? Okay. Let’s get started. Up first is Mad About Morocco… Stay tuned!

*psst: If you missed this issue, you can purchase it only for $5.95 + $4.00 shipping to Canada, $5 shipping to the US, or $11 shipping elsewhere. Buy it here.

(image from canadian house + home)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on January 23, 2007

1. kayte commented
    January 23rd, 2007 at 4:30am

i’ve never read canadian house and home! where have i been?! my favorites are all the elle decorations, marie claire maison and idees, domino, the sadly departed nest and martha. i also like country living. it’s a lot cooler than it seems like it would be.

2. decor8 commented
    January 23rd, 2007 at 5:12am

It’s really great, Kayte. I love the Trend Watch on the back page, the Style Files section (they spotlight a Canadian designer and a store usually), More or Less (three looks at high, mid, and low price points), Weekend Decorating Tips, the ask Cameron MacNeil page (their resident interior designer), and all their lovely images. It’s a great publication, often overlooked, but should not be!!

3. modmom commented
    January 23rd, 2007 at 5:19am

maryam from marakesh is ahead of the curve

4. paola commented
    January 23rd, 2007 at 6:33am

Ooh, thanks for this. I’ve been so disappointed by US interiors mags since moving here, so it’s interesting to see that only 2 of your top 5 are US publications (and two are British!) I do like Domino though.

Will definitely buy Canadian H&H, as I’m supposed to be writing a piece on 2007 interiors trends for a magazine in the UK, so that will be really useful (as will your own trend pointers).

5. decor8 commented
    January 23rd, 2007 at 7:34am

Paola – Only ONE is American (Domino!). The other one is from Canada and the rest are from the UK. I don’t dislike US based magazines, I think Real Simple and Martha Stewart are strong, as well as Country Home (surprise surprise, it’s really nice actually). But I’m just fascinated with finding things that I don’t see on every corner, so I’m more interested in non-US based publications. That’s really the only reason. I’m not anti-US mags or anything. I’m just very curious, I’m always looking offshore for everything. :)

6. My Marrakech commented
    January 23rd, 2007 at 8:10am

Holly, you and me both mad about Morocco! Can’t wait to see your room.

With that in mind, my number one fave is Maison du Maroc. Gorgeous mag! I also love World Interiors and Elle Decor.

7. kstyle commented
    January 23rd, 2007 at 8:43am

I’m definitely going to have to look into those magazines. I still like architectural digest. They have a somewhat new and expanded section on designer finds that I like and I’m also liking Dwell with it’s product list in the back. A bit redundant but definitely a few new sources every month. And I love Domino and Martha and yes I admit i’m also an Oprah fan. k

8. MissK commented
    January 23rd, 2007 at 9:30am

I’m in Australia and i don’t buy many overseas magazines because they are very expensive,but i will browse through Living etc,Domino,Elle Decor and occasionally buy Real Simple.
    In Australia i like Real Living,Home Beautiful,Inside Out and Vogue Living.
    Although Domino has some of the most amazing interiors it’s very thin and a lot of ads.

9. Penny People Designs commented
    January 23rd, 2007 at 9:30am

I’m so glad you featured House & Home, a great magazine here in Canada. Also take a peek at Style at Home – another great magazine here. I’m looking at the issue now with my cup of tea. :)

10. kiminottawa commented
    January 23rd, 2007 at 12:05pm

FYI: Style at Home and Chocolat are 2 other great Canadian magazines (I subscribe to these and Canadian H&H). I do desperately want to subscribe to Domino = my fav.

11. insidesign commented
    January 23rd, 2007 at 12:34pm

The Jan issue is a great issue Holly! Wait til you get Feb! It’s all on renos, it’s awesome. I’ve had mine for a bit now but I just keep going back to it!

Cheers!
    Jamie @ insidesign

12. sunny commented
    January 23rd, 2007 at 3:54pm

ooh…I love magazines and you all have named some I haven’t heard of. I’ll check them out ASAP.

Meanwhile, I enjoy Domino and am trying to figure out if I want to do an international subscription to BoligLiv magazine. I’ve seen photos from the magazine posted on flickr and it looks amazing.

13. susanna commented
    January 23rd, 2007 at 5:33pm

Yay Canada! (I’m a Cdn living in the US). I’ll have to see if my local Barnes & Noble carries Canadian House & Home. I visit your blog every day. You write so well and your finds are always so creative.

14. Joanne commented
    January 24th, 2007 at 5:26pm

Well here in the UK my top inspirational readings include Elle (esp ‘Decoration’), Living Etc, House & Home Ideas. And for the crafty creative streak in me I regularly find fascinating ideas in PaperCrafts and Crafts Beautiful.

I spend too much time reading, tearing and scrapping many other publications too, but hey, you can never have too much inspirational eye candy!