uncategorized

Tagged, I’m It!

January 26, 2007

I was tagged by SFGirlByBay (Victoria) and now by Scrappy Girl (Cathy) to join in on a blogger game which states that I need to share with you six weird things about myself. When Victoria emailed me, my immediate reply was “Only six?”. I have way more.

Tagged, Im It!
1. I met my husband on the internet. I wrote an article that published online in ’98 and he read it and wrote to me to comment on it. We quickly became penpals for a year, then met up while I was vacationing in Europe, and married in 2001. I now believe in soulmates and the power of meeting men online. I like to tease him by calling him my Internet Bride. :)

2. I am obsessed with Morrissey and The Smiths. Before getting married, I’d hop flights just to see him in concert. The best was a back to back concert in London, 1999.

3. I have 3 blog stalkers. One of them recently sent me a creepy e-Hallmark card. I get these mean emails and ‘anon’ comments trying to pick fights with me almost daily. I never saw myself as stalker-worthy, so on a very strange level, I’m somewhat flattered by it. I thrive under pressure, so they keep me on my toes and give me a lot to laugh about with my friends and husband.

4. When I was a teenager, I had over 200 penpals from all over the world. I’d get upwards of 25 letters per day. I spent hours writing letters and sending off the little illustrations I penciled, along with puffy stickers, of course.

5. I love roller skating and cheesy old skating rinks. Careless Whisper from Wham! always takes me back to my first ever “couple skate”, a night I’ll never forget because a couple skate meant everything back then.

6. As a child, I loved to rearrange the furniture in my parents’ home on a regular basis. They’d walk in after work and find everything in different rooms, furniture moved, bookcases, everything. When I say regular, I’m not kidding either. Weekly. I would buy those books with the floor plans for homes inside and, using them as inspiration, I’d draw my version of the perfect house using graph paper, pencils, and my trusty wooden ruler. I was forever rearranging our home and drafting up these crazy home plans. This started at around age 7.

okay and finally… I’ll a 7th to this list. I am a Flickr addict. To me, it’s the best website out there. I could spend HOURS on it. Here is a link to my Flickr favorites, some shown above.

Okay… That’s it! I’ll tag the Hostess Blog (Jen), the Style Files (Danielle), and Bloesem (Irene) now. Maybe they’d like to play along?

You Might Also Like

30 Comments

• Reply Jon (in Columbus) January 26, 2007 at 6:08 pm

Speaking of Flickr addictions . . . what happened to the “rooms I heart” group that you created?

• Reply Funky Finds January 26, 2007 at 7:20 pm

wow! now THAT is a great list of “weirds”!!! i’m freaking out about the part of you having stalkers…and all those penpals! sheesh. i bet you had permenant writer’s cramp. i’m addicted flickr too…i love looking at other people’s stuff!?

• Reply Erin T January 26, 2007 at 7:36 pm

How funny, 5 of these 7 “weird” things apply to me too! I won’t say which ones, except that I will likely name our next greyhound after the Moz ;)

• Reply Jill Clarkson January 26, 2007 at 7:37 pm

How cool to learn all these weird things. I love skating rinks too. But the stalker things..whoa. That really stinks but you’re taking it in stride at least, good for you!
    Ok and so where was it exactly that you published this article, that your now husband commented on?? I think I need to write something there!! : ) Thanks for sharing : )

• Reply holly January 26, 2007 at 7:51 pm

hooray! i loved reading this about you! sorry to hear you have stalkers. scary!

ps … the songs that make me think of roller skating the most are my sharona by the knack and makin’ it by david naughton. yes, i’m dating myself now. ugh.

• Reply Carla Sonheim January 26, 2007 at 7:53 pm

I enjoyed reading your list! GREAT blog (just found it). THANK YOU!

• Reply Anonymous January 26, 2007 at 10:18 pm

the puffy stickers comment cracked me up! i SO remember those. :)

• Reply decor8 January 26, 2007 at 10:27 pm

Jon – Rooms I *heart* ended because there were nearly 1,000 members (in 3 weeks – eek!) and not all of them were in compliance with Flickr group guidelines. I got tired of playing police officer, so I just ended it. I am now doing “Inspiration Saturday” on this blog with 6-10 photos of eye candy to enjoy on the weekends.

See you tomorrow!
    Holly

• Reply decor8 January 26, 2007 at 10:31 pm

Erin – You can’t name your first pet after Morrissey because I already have my pet names lined up. I want a Morrissey (whom I’ll call Mozzer for short), Oscar (after Wilde), and Sebastian (because I love that name). I obviously cannot have female pets, but if I do, I love the name Sam for a girl, so Samantha but Sam for short. We are talking about pets though, not kids. I would never name a child Morrissey or Oscar… but I’ve considered Patrick (Stephen Patrick) as a middle name since Morrissey’s middle name is Patrick and I’m half Irish. :)

Holly

• Reply decor8 January 26, 2007 at 10:33 pm

Holly – You are SO dating yourself. But, I guess I am too because I clearly recall those tunes as I raced around the rink… But I really remember Wham, Madonna, Prince, and all that 80s music from Britain the most.

Did you see 13 Going on 30? That soundtrack about sums it up for me.

Holly

• Reply Another Shade of Grey January 26, 2007 at 10:41 pm

You now that sweater Jennifer Garner was wearing as a kid in that movie 13 going on 30 with the hearts on it? I owned that sweater. I had my school picture made in that sweater. ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Reply decor8 January 26, 2007 at 10:44 pm

ASOG – are you kidding? you had that sweater? that is so cute. :) i just watched that movie the other night for the 5th time. it really takes me back, i love it.

• Reply amber January 26, 2007 at 11:31 pm

hah, i used to do the same thing to my family’s house. my dad would come home late at night and fall over the couch sometimes.
    my poor brother would come home and my bedroom would now be in his room.
    i too drew out floor plans. maybe it was before my OCD-ish-ness kicked in, because i didn’t use graph paper.

• Reply natty. January 27, 2007 at 12:46 am

That was a great list. I too loved roller skating and would go once a week with some girlfriends. We had a blast. I used to have that Wham album on cassette and “Careless Whisper” was my favorite! I’ve had a couple of weird comments on my blog too(not that many, I’m not popular or anything) and it just creeped me out. Don’t know exactly what to do with that. Flickr is too awesome for words.
    Thanks for sharing your interesting facts!

• Reply kstyle January 27, 2007 at 1:07 am

Flickr is breathtakting and one of my most reliable sources for well just about everything. Just went to a first amendment forum in Ashland with top photographers speaking from all over the country and Flickr was a major topic of conversation. They called “The Citizen Content” which abounds there a major player in the “new” world of photo journalism. Fascinating stuff. k

• Reply jen January 27, 2007 at 1:31 am

yes! roller skating – reminds me of open arms by journey! lol! and i loooooove morrissey, bona drag is one of THE best records EVER!

• Reply Another Shade of Grey January 27, 2007 at 1:47 am

I’m not kidding. I can remember wearing that sweater with corduroy pants. Every time I see that movie I wonder if that IS my sweater. lol

• Reply decor8 January 27, 2007 at 2:05 am

ASOG – When I watch it I’m going to think of you this time. ;)

Jen – Oh yes, Journey. he he. I remember listening to the “big kids” music (on their jam boxes) each morning on the bus ride to school. “It’s still a mystery…How somethin’ good can hurt so badddd”. I loved that song. I had a bike with a little white basket and I’d cycle by this kids house nearly everyday hoping to see him and I’d hum that song. What a hopeless nerd. ;) You know, Steve Perry did this solo show in the late 90s in Boston and I went and he was amazing. Brought back a whole other lifetime for me.

Kstyle – That forum you went to sounds awesome, what a great topic to explore. Have you blogged about it yet? When/If you do, please send me the link so I don’t miss that.

Natty – Hi and thanks for commenting, it made me happy to see you here. :)

-h

• Reply vera January 27, 2007 at 7:48 am

oh i love puffy stickers! they are the cutest!
    i used to re-arrange my room all the time – my mum is a compulsive changer so i didn’t have to chance to do the rest of the house! – and i have always loved drawing up plans for my ‘dream home’. i’d like to say i grew out of this, but that would be lying ;0)

• Reply i *heart* paper January 27, 2007 at 3:05 pm

I think we’re kindred spirits with the roller skating and Morrisy. I still have my sneaker skates and wish I could fit in them.

• Reply kate January 27, 2007 at 10:28 pm

i have this strange feeling that if all your readers would get together, the universe might implode due to the number of kindred spirits in one place at one time.

luckily, convening in the virtual world doesn’t seem to have had that effect yet!

your peculiarities sound grand. partially because they’re exaggerated versions of my own (and apparently many of your other readers as well!). :)

• Reply anahata January 28, 2007 at 3:40 am

Ahh! That is too funny/defin itely wierd about the online stalkers. And how fun to hear you met your hubby online. I guess men really can fall out of the sky! Good news.

• Reply Bela January 28, 2007 at 3:46 am

i loved your blog.
    can i put a link on mine?

xoxo

• Reply My Marrakech January 28, 2007 at 12:58 pm

Holly, I loved your list! Except for the part about the stalkers. Now that is really disturbing. What is wrong with these people? I can only think that they must be jealous b/c of your very loyal following here on Decor8. We all love you here, Holly. And don’t you ever forget it. Stalkers beware…

• Reply CeLee January 28, 2007 at 4:41 pm

i love the me-me’s :) so much fun to read about everyone! i met my husband online as well. he contacted me through friendster… we were connected (4 – degrees of seperation!) great job on your blog and thanks for visiting mine as well.

• Reply Marcia January 28, 2007 at 7:55 pm

How crazy someone should stalk you! Clearly a case of jealousy and insecurity! We all love you Holly, my marrakech is right, beware stalkers! (By the way thanks for the nice ZP compliments mm)
    I have an online stalker too-it’s insane. Almost positive who it is,and it is just plan sad that anyone should have to stoop so low.
    We’ve got your back, Holly.
    Marcia

• Reply Heather Moore January 29, 2007 at 6:39 am

You’re just cute-wierd, Holly! I loved your post, and now wish I’d taken on my tagging with better grace! Ah well.

I’m battling with a real-life malicious nutcase who wants to make my life miserable for no good reason, so I feel for you with your stalker. What a sorry existance he/she must have to get pleasure from nastiness.

• Reply Kung Foodie January 29, 2007 at 10:13 am

OMG!

Graph paper houses!!! I use to do this all the time too! I even got sucked into drawing a castle dungeon or two by my brother who was into Dungeons and Dragons . LOL

Shoot the duck!!! :-D

• Reply decor8 January 29, 2007 at 9:48 pm

Oh my goodness, yes, Shoot the Duck!

Or “The next song will be an all skate”…

Too funny. This reminds me of my friend June. She loved to mimic the guy at the roller skating rink. We’d be driving in the car and out of the blue she’d turn down the radio and say, “The next song will be a couples skate” and then she’d turn up the radio and we’d laugh ourselves to tears. Good ole 80s children!

• Reply Anna January 30, 2007 at 8:42 pm

Hi! That’s funny about your #4…When I was younger I had about 200 or so penpals, too (who knew there was this whole underground network – friendship books etc…!) and used to get tons of mail each day…I did it mainly for the stamps…who knows, maybe we were penpals! :)