*New* Chocolat Magazine from Canada!

I have to thank decor8 reader Margot J. who sent me a copy of Canada’s newest gem, Chocolat, a shelter magazine that is, overall, really fantastic.

It’s a shopping magazine, much like Domino, but it has somewhat of a UK feel to it – it’s a little like Ideal Home meets Living Etc. maybe? Hmmm. Hard to describe. I love the title typefont and all the resources it lists inside, and the website is equally good with a few great DIY articles that are practical and do not involve power tools or a degree in fine arts.

I really enjoyed the online feature, Sticky Situations, all about using decals in creative ways, particularly since I’ve done this before and found it to be a terrific (and cheap!) shortcut to add personality to the home.

Content rich, packed with finds, and not a lot of advertisements only adds to the appeal. The layout and design isn’t as drool inducing as some of my favorite glossies, I think the product shots could be more enticing and the photos of space could look better (Domino and Living Etc are tough to live up to!), but being that this is only issue #2 and it appears to only be published quarterly, I think they’re off to a great start and hopefully will grow from here to become the Domino of Canada. I love all the links and design tips, and the 24 hour shopping guide to Calgary was an exceptional feature. I will definitely look for the Spring issue when I’m up in Montreal in a few months.

Thanks again Margot for the preview, It’s a lot of fun to look at and I really appreciate that you took the time to mail it to me! More on Chocolat here.

(images from chocolat)

Posted by decor8 in inspiration on January 29, 2007

1. jen commented
    January 29th, 2007 at 8:44pm

looks fab! okay – so you are always in the now about these things – when is the next issue of Blueprint due out?? Thanks Holly!

2. decor8 commented
    January 29th, 2007 at 8:46pm

Blueprint is due out in March – stay tuned!

3. Erin T commented
    January 30th, 2007 at 3:27pm

Oooh – thanks for sharing! I checked out Sticky Situations on the Chocolat website. I see lots of decals I like but never wanted to try them on our walls. I never thought of putting one on a lamp! It’s nice when magazines that aren’t readily available in the US have a site that gives you a little preview of their content.

4. freshpinkstyle commented
    January 31st, 2007 at 11:57pm

Wow, looks great. I am so magazine hungry. I wonder if any of the US chain bookstores are importing this? Otherwise, I will have to have my dad who travels to Canada pick me up a copy! Thanks for the tip!

5. jen commented
    February 2nd, 2007 at 5:25pm

sooo far away! thank you holly!