Br?hl Blanche Sofa (Germany, Ja!)

Br?hl is a big name in Germany, whenever I’m over there scouring newsstands for German home design mags, I spot them in nearly every single issue I pull. They’re popular for good reason, style and quality being high on the list.

She seems to be having a lot of fun on this photo shoot. Cute, huh?

While in Hamburg this past November, I checked out some of their sofas since I’m starting to look for furniture there (more on that later). Anyway, decor8 reader Takashi sent me a link over to Yanko Design to check out the latest from Br?hl called Blanche, a sofa you can have some fun with because you select the covers you’d like for it which can completely change the look in mere minutes. I like the uncomplicated lines of this sofa, and how unique it is, it’s not at all typical. Clean, contemporary, and I think it can be called timeless even because it’s not so super trendy that you couldn’t see it in a home in say, 5 years, looking just as posh. What do you think?
My favorite is the white leather Blanche shown below. I know, some may say, “boring white”. But I love the options I would have with a white sofa, I could go nuts with my pillow obsession and swap out new colors and textures monthly, imagine the possibilities! :) I’m thinking that ultimately though, I’d love this in a mossy green tweed or maybe oatmeal… Something with a bit more texture. Definitely not a print.

I’m not a print sofa person. I do prints on chairs and solids on sofas. Can anyone relate to this? Or is this just an American thing? I mean, walk into any furniture showroom and most sofas you see are solids… Yet, we have no issue mixing in patterned pillows, ottomans, chairs, window treatments. Hmmm… What’s behind our fear of patterned sofas, I wonder? Or do I stand alone on this one, and you love patterned sofas?

(images from br?hl)
Posted by decor8 in furniture on February 01, 2007

1. Another Shade of Grey commented
    February 1st, 2007 at 7:50pm

I lurve the fabric choices and the shape, but have to question its comfortability.

2. decor8 commented
    February 1st, 2007 at 10:51pm

Hmmm. I wonder. When I’m in Germany this year, I’ll have to check that out. I’m tall, so I’m usually not too comfy on low back sofas… But I so love the tufting, and that it looks like a great sofa to lay on (the arms seem to conform to the neck/head quite well).

3. connie commented
    February 1st, 2007 at 10:51pm

patterned sofas can be fun if done right. i’m really liking the mix & match fabric look, as seen in Flea Market Style… however what I find suspect is the shoes she’s wearing in these pictures! egads!

4. Another Shade of Grey commented
    February 2nd, 2007 at 3:39am

Please check it out if you get the chance. I love the tufting too.

5. decor8 commented
    February 2nd, 2007 at 3:46am

Okay, I’m on it! I’ll be back in Germany in August, so I’ll try to hunt it down.

6. Anonymous commented
    February 2nd, 2007 at 4:28am

I don’t get the appeal. To me, it’s lines are complicated and as a whole appears unfinished. The fabrics are fun, but the look of most any sofa can be changed in minutes with slipcovers! It doesn’t look comfy. And the back that just… stops before reaching sofas end, I don’t like it. I don’t see a classic piece.

That’s how I really feel.

Also, this sofa in white could never be “boring”. White would be my choice for a piece that is so unique – let the form alone do it’s thang.

7. decor8 commented
    February 2nd, 2007 at 4:52am

I see what you mean about complicated. I think that’s why I like it – because the tufted back looks like it should be part of another sofa completely… Something more traditional. The seating looks very contemporary, a bit futuristic even. But I don’t get the appeal of the print, either. It cheapens it to me, and I’m sure it is NOT cheap!

8. John Trosko commented
    February 2nd, 2007 at 6:39am

I am buying a pair of white pajamas so I can look like the guy on the couch. Nice. Relaxing. Sexy.

9. Jany commented
    February 2nd, 2007 at 11:51am

Hi Holly,
    i would definitely go for a solid colored sofa! It gives more possibilities to varie the decoration, like by as you said changing the pillows. And a good sofa is quite an investment, something you won’t change evry year or other month ( unless you’re millionaire ). The Br?hl-sofa shown looks very nice, and if it comes with different covers…so many possibilities to change your interior!
    Have a nice weekend.

10. Anonymous commented
    June 6th, 2007 at 12:17am

having just spent oodles of hours test driving and searching for the ‘perfect’ couch for my mother’s den, I think Blanche is the best choice yet! Unfortunately I can’t seem to locate a vendor in the US… Any ideas? thanks