Decorating Tips

Reader Q: Red Glass Chandelier, Anyone?

February 5, 2007

This just in from reader Maura from Paper Guppy. We have to save her!

“I’m hoping that you have a resource for a chandelier that I’m looking for. I found this (image below) on Reader Q: Red Glass Chandelier, Anyone?Maura continues, “I’ve searched google and ebay, but everything is too ornate for my husband’s taste (we’re compromising on the chandelier and this one was simple enough for him, but chandelier-y enough for me). I know DWR has a nice red glass chandelier (image below) but it’s a bit too spendy for me. So I’m in love with this chandelier and I’m stuck and I-MUST-HAVE-IT! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!” – Maura.

Reader Q: Red Glass Chandelier, Anyone?Maura – I was recently at the Boston Design Center didn’t notice anything like this in their many lighting showrooms. I contacted Horchow for you and spoke with Alyssa Butler who has confirmed your fears, the 4 arm version has been discontinued and all stock has been sold out.

My next thought was to search online, so I sourced Plug Lighting (they have something similiar, you may want to call them for pricing), Ray 20, Lamps Plus, Y Lighting, Bellacor, Lamps-Lighting, Spiegel, Ballard Designs, Inside Avenue, Z Gallerie, Barney’s, Anthropologie, and The Furniture. Nothing.

Then I stopped for a moment, realizing this light mimics the popular lighting I saw while in Germany last year, most of it coming out of Italy. So I checked out Italy Design in CA, but most are over your budget and not even a good match. Same goes for eDirectory out of the UK and Murano Glass.

I’m having a tough time on this one. Aside from finding something made out of non-glass (acrylic maybe?) or in a different color and painting it red with a clear lacquer top coat, I’m not sure where to point you.

With so many design savvy readers out there (hint hint), I’m guessing someone can help? Anyone?

(images from horchow and dwr)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Liz Cadorette February 5, 2007 at 9:04 pm

Reply studio wellspring February 5, 2007 at 10:13 pm

the fauve at barovier & tosso comes in red and with 6- 8- or 12-bulb options.

• Reply becky February 5, 2007 at 11:32 pm

I would try calling every Neiman Marcus Last Call and begging them to look for it. I believe a lot of Horchow winds up in their home section – especially returns or slightly flawed items. Good Luck!

• Reply Anonymous February 5, 2007 at 11:53 pm

Maura’s issue is a common one! REally expensive taste. Murano glass is very very expensive Artimide has one too, but that’s no bargainn either. It’s beautiful though and worth a look.
    gaia sospensione

Painting standard chandelier high gloss red is a good idea. Or getting a black one and dangling one red ball or crystal from the bottom. That could be dramatic.

Black glass is great, too.

• Reply Maura February 6, 2007 at 12:10 am

Ahh yes it’s always my expensive taste that gets me into trouble! Thank you all so much! I?m totally suffering from anti-buyer?s remorse ? I should have bought it when I first saw it a month ago. Ugh! I have thought of the painting option and I already have some back-ups picked out for that.

And Holly – Thanks for posting, looking for a close match and calling Horchow! You?re the best!

• Reply melissa February 6, 2007 at 12:27 am

Spectrum has a red Murano glass chandelier for $497:

• Reply melissa February 6, 2007 at 1:31 am

Yikes, sorry, I take back my Spectrum recommendation — there are complaints lodged about their store all over the web. The low price did seem suspicious, I should have known better. Best of luck in your search!

• Reply patri February 6, 2007 at 2:06 am

Oh no. I thought would have them, but… alas, none there either!

• Reply kat February 6, 2007 at 5:41 pm

i don’t know if this one might be too ornate for ur husband. You could remove the chains. The color and material correspond to what u’re looking for. I got one in black and it looks fabulous for its affordable price!
    every guest comments on it!

• Reply decor8 February 6, 2007 at 5:44 pm

I think Kat’s URL is too long, so use
    this one:

• Reply sk8ordiehard February 6, 2007 at 6:36 pm

ugh, i don’t know if it just erased my first comment by signing in through Google, but an ebay search for red chandelier produces the same ones as on Spectrum but with good seller ratings.

or you could paint it as others have suggested a la Heather Bailey

• Reply Anonymous February 6, 2007 at 9:16 pm

Can I just say I have been obsessing over the same chandelier? I think I first saw it in an old issue of Domino. I had been waiting until we move to buy and now find myself in the same position as you. Waaaaah!

• Reply Anonymous February 7, 2007 at 2:51 am

How about this one:
    with the swags removed?

– Samantha

• Reply maura February 7, 2007 at 3:44 pm

Hi everyone – thanks for all of your great suggestions. We’re torn between ordering the ebay one and trying to take off some of the swags or just buying a non-glass one and painting it. Either way I’ll send Holly a photo so you can see how it turned out. In the meantime if anyone spots the beautiful 4-arm horchow red glass one – let me know!

• Reply maura February 9, 2007 at 4:17 pm

I know! I saw that yesterday (yes everyday I click on my old link to that beautiful red chandelier to see if it’s magically appeared). We’re toying with the clear one. I’m painting the room a charcoal grey with white trim, we have a stone colored couch, and then I want to finish it off with a few red and teal accents. So, the red chandy was one of my big “steal the show” accent pieces. I do like the clear though, so we’ll see. I’ll definitely keep you posted with photos.

• Reply aimee February 12, 2007 at 4:07 pm

Oh no, I missed the clear chandelier! I called and they said they are made in the Czech Republic but do not have a vendor name. Maura, if you have any luck with either the clear or red will you please keep me posted? I can be reached at charlestonebayer at hotmail dot com.

• Reply Anonymous February 14, 2007 at 3:13 pm

It really nagged at me last week that I couldn’t find a comparable red chandelier; or maybe I just love the hunt. Anyway, I ran across this chandelier that comes in black or white, but the perhaps the designer would produce it in red. Good luck!

• Reply Maura February 21, 2007 at 1:08 am

hi everyone – I know this post is pretty old so a lot of you won’t see it anymore but I was looking around at neiman’s site today and they have a new clear glass chandelier

just thought I would pass it along.

• Reply jill March 4, 2007 at 11:24 pm

Not glass but …

• Reply Joe A September 25, 2007 at 4:17 pm

I have a red glass chandelier similar to what you are describing that I just removed from my house to make room for a ceiling fan. I will take some pictures of it and post them later today.

• Reply Anonymous January 24, 2008 at 6:39 am (in canada) has one made by titus for 200 bucks. check this link:

i’m not sure if they’d ship it to the u.s., but you could call them to find out. if not, try the manufacturer (titus).

also, z gallerie now carries a black one.

good luck

• Reply Teal Chic March 19, 2008 at 5:12 pm

goodness, these two are beautiful. they would brighten up any room, and are great conversation pieces!!! loooove them :)

• Reply Anonymous April 29, 2008 at 8:50 pm

Here’s a link for a red murano chandelier. The price seems too good to be true.

• Reply Anna June 17, 2008 at 10:15 pm

I know you’ve probably found a lighting solution at this point, but Titus Manufacturing now offers 2 (2! can you believe it?) red chandeliers in lucite through Home Depot US:

Just bought mine today.

• Reply RealMurano December 26, 2008 at 3:38 pm

At murano-glass-chandeliers you can find all the original murano glass chandeliers you are looking for.

• Reply Nash Goddard May 15, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Try have a look here:
    They god many red chandeliers