Reader Q: Red Glass Chandelier, Anyone?

This just in from reader Maura from Paper Guppy. We have to save her!

“I’m hoping that you have a resource for a chandelier that I’m looking for. I found this (image below) on Horchow a few weeks ago and it seems they have discontinued it. It was a red glass four arm chandelier for $550. They now only have the eight arm and it’s over $1,000. Any ideas?”
Maura continues, “I’ve searched google and ebay, but everything is too ornate for my husband’s taste (we’re compromising on the chandelier and this one was simple enough for him, but chandelier-y enough for me). I know DWR has a nice red glass chandelier (image below) but it’s a bit too spendy for me. So I’m in love with this chandelier and I’m stuck and I-MUST-HAVE-IT! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!” – Maura.

Maura – I was recently at the Boston Design Center didn’t notice anything like this in their many lighting showrooms. I contacted Horchow for you and spoke with Alyssa Butler who has confirmed your fears, the 4 arm version has been discontinued and all stock has been sold out.

My next thought was to search online, so I sourced Plug Lighting (they have something similiar, you may want to call them for pricing), Ray 20, Lamps Plus, Y Lighting, Bellacor, Lamps-Lighting, Spiegel, Ballard Designs, Inside Avenue, Z Gallerie, Barney’s, Anthropologie, and The Furniture. Nothing.

Then I stopped for a moment, realizing this light mimics the popular lighting I saw while in Germany last year, most of it coming out of Italy. So I checked out Italy Design in CA, but most are over your budget and not even a good match. Same goes for eDirectory out of the UK and Murano Glass.

I’m having a tough time on this one. Aside from finding something made out of non-glass (acrylic maybe?) or in a different color and painting it red with a clear lacquer top coat, I’m not sure where to point you.

With so many design savvy readers out there (hint hint), I’m guessing someone can help? Anyone?

(images from horchow and dwr)

Posted by decor8 in lighting, reader questions, tips on February 05, 2007

1. Liz Cadorette commented
    February 5th, 2007 at 9:04pm
  2. studio wellspring commented
    February 5th, 2007 at 10:13pm

the fauve at barovier & tosso comes in red and with 6- 8- or 12-bulb options.

3. becky commented
    February 5th, 2007 at 11:32pm

I would try calling every Neiman Marcus Last Call and begging them to look for it. I believe a lot of Horchow winds up in their home section – especially returns or slightly flawed items. Good Luck!

Becky

4. Anonymous commented
    February 5th, 2007 at 11:53pm

Maura’s issue is a common one! REally expensive taste. Murano glass is very very expensive Artimide has one too, but that’s no bargainn either. It’s beautiful though and worth a look.
    gaia sospensione

Painting standard chandelier high gloss red is a good idea. Or getting a black one and dangling one red ball or crystal from the bottom. That could be dramatic.

Black glass is great, too.

5. Maura commented
    February 6th, 2007 at 12:10am

Ahh yes it’s always my expensive taste that gets me into trouble! Thank you all so much! I?m totally suffering from anti-buyer?s remorse ? I should have bought it when I first saw it a month ago. Ugh! I have thought of the painting option and I already have some back-ups picked out for that.

And Holly – Thanks for posting, looking for a close match and calling Horchow! You?re the best!

6. melissa commented
    February 6th, 2007 at 12:27am

Spectrum has a red Murano glass chandelier for $497: http://tinyurl.com/2r2zt2

7. melissa commented
    February 6th, 2007 at 1:31am

Yikes, sorry, I take back my Spectrum recommendation — there are complaints lodged about their store all over the web. The low price did seem suspicious, I should have known better. Best of luck in your search!

8. patri commented
    February 6th, 2007 at 2:06am

Oh no. I thought http://www.brocadehome.com would have them, but… alas, none there either!

9. kat commented
    February 6th, 2007 at 5:41pm

i don’t know if this one might be too ornate for ur husband. You could remove the chains. The color and material correspond to what u’re looking for. I got one in black and it looks fabulous for its affordable price!
    every guest comments on it!

10. decor8 commented
    February 6th, 2007 at 5:44pm

I think Kat’s URL is too long, so use
    this one:

11. sk8ordiehard commented
    February 6th, 2007 at 6:36pm

ugh, i don’t know if it just erased my first comment by signing in through Google, but an ebay search for red chandelier produces the same ones as on Spectrum but with good seller ratings.

or you could paint it as others have suggested a la Heather Bailey

12. Anonymous commented
    February 6th, 2007 at 9:16pm

Can I just say I have been obsessing over the same chandelier? I think I first saw it in an old issue of Domino. I had been waiting until we move to buy and now find myself in the same position as you. Waaaaah!

13. Anonymous commented
    February 7th, 2007 at 2:51am

How about this one: http://tinyurl.com/2xl944
    with the swags removed?

- Samantha

14. maura commented
    February 7th, 2007 at 3:44pm

Hi everyone – thanks for all of your great suggestions. We’re torn between ordering the ebay one and trying to take off some of the swags or just buying a non-glass one and painting it. Either way I’ll send Holly a photo so you can see how it turned out. In the meantime if anyone spots the beautiful 4-arm horchow red glass one – let me know!

15. decor8 commented
    February 9th, 2007 at 3:42pm
  16. maura commented
    February 9th, 2007 at 4:17pm

I know! I saw that yesterday (yes everyday I click on my old link to that beautiful red chandelier to see if it’s magically appeared). We’re toying with the clear one. I’m painting the room a charcoal grey with white trim, we have a stone colored couch, and then I want to finish it off with a few red and teal accents. So, the red chandy was one of my big “steal the show” accent pieces. I do like the clear though, so we’ll see. I’ll definitely keep you posted with photos.

17. aimee commented
    February 12th, 2007 at 4:07pm

Oh no, I missed the clear chandelier! I called and they said they are made in the Czech Republic but do not have a vendor name. Maura, if you have any luck with either the clear or red will you please keep me posted? I can be reached at charlestonebayer at hotmail dot com.

18. Anonymous commented
    February 14th, 2007 at 3:13pm

It really nagged at me last week that I couldn’t find a comparable red chandelier; or maybe I just love the hunt. Anyway, I ran across this chandelier that comes in black or white, but the perhaps the designer would produce it in red. Good luck!

19. Maura commented
    February 21st, 2007 at 1:08am

hi everyone – I know this post is pretty old so a lot of you won’t see it anymore but I was looking around at neiman’s site today and they have a new clear glass chandelier http://www.neimanmarcus.com/products/mp/NM-1428_mp.jpg

just thought I would pass it along.

20. jill commented
    March 4th, 2007 at 11:24pm
  21. Joe A commented
    September 25th, 2007 at 4:17pm

I have a red glass chandelier similar to what you are describing that I just removed from my house to make room for a ceiling fan. I will take some pictures of it and post them later today.

22. Anonymous commented
    January 24th, 2008 at 6:39am

homedepot.ca (in canada) has one made by titus for 200 bucks. check this link:

i’m not sure if they’d ship it to the u.s., but you could call them to find out. if not, try the manufacturer (titus).

also, z gallerie now carries a black one.

good luck

23. Teal Chic commented
    March 19th, 2008 at 5:12pm

goodness, these two are beautiful. they would brighten up any room, and are great conversation pieces!!! loooove them :)

24. Anonymous commented
    April 29th, 2008 at 8:50pm

Here’s a link for a red murano chandelier. The price seems too good to be true.

25. Anna commented
    June 17th, 2008 at 10:15pm

Hello,

I know you’ve probably found a lighting solution at this point, but Titus Manufacturing now offers 2 (2! can you believe it?) red chandeliers in lucite through Home Depot US:

Just bought mine today.

Cheers,

Anna

26. jimmy commented
    October 31st, 2008 at 3:14am
  27. RealMurano commented
    December 26th, 2008 at 3:38pm

At murano-glass-chandeliers you can find all the original murano glass chandeliers you are looking for.

28. Nash Goddard commented
    May 15th, 2010 at 3:49pm

Try have a look here: http://www.murano-glass-chandeliers.com
    They god many red chandeliers