Reader Q: The Hunt for the Trendy White Table

Audrey from Australia wrote in, “I was wondering if you and the decor8 blog readers might be able to help me…” Seems she’s on the hunt for a trendy white table featured in a recent NYTimes feature about The Penthouse restaurant at the Huntley Hotel in Santa Monica, CA designed by Thomas Schoos. Audrey continues, “I’d like to get my hands on it (or something similar) to use as my desk. I love the white square top with the round base.”

She adds that it would be helpful if someone could point her to a resource in Australia.

Since that is wayyy out of my territory, I’m leaving this up to other Aussie readers who may be able to give her a hand. Or in this case, a table!

Anyone know where to get something like this?

Audrey – My first reaction is to contact the design firm to see where it was purchased, but given your location, you may do better to DIY it. Locate a vintage cast aluminum saarinen tulip base (Knoll) and work with a carpenter to create a laminate rectangular top and viola! You have exactly what you want. You could also contact 20th Century Design in Melbourne to see if they’ve come across anything like it… Mondo Trasho and Frhapsody 20C are great mid century design resources in your country that may also be helpful for you to contact.

Anyone else have a few clever ideas for our friend, Audrey?

(image from the nytimes)

Posted by decor8 in diy, reader questions, tips on February 12, 2007

1. Anna commented
    February 12th, 2007 at 8:30am

You could maybe get the Docksta table (A$279) from Ikea and replace the top of it with a rectangular one.

2. Angela commented
    February 12th, 2007 at 8:44am

If you are willing to do a cheap cheat rather than have designer chic, Ikea has a circular table with a similar base. You could replace the top with one of their white rectangular tops they sell separately for a similar look.

3. erin scissorhands commented
    February 12th, 2007 at 11:31am

i dont have any ideas, but you offered some great advice!

4. Kate F. commented
    February 12th, 2007 at 2:56pm

Do they have Ikea in Australia? Ikea makes a very inexpensive (under $300 US) knock off of the Saarinen table, which might be a good place to start the DIY version, esp. since the base would already be detached when you bought the table. A hollow frame door painted with white lacquer could stand in for the top in a pinch…

5. decor8 commented
    February 12th, 2007 at 2:58pm

anna/angela: i had thought about that table also, but was concerned that it may tip over – it’s plastic, right? I think that she may need something more sturdy. i’ve not seen the IKEA one though, perhaps it would work. hmmm.

i love the thrill of the hunt though – gets the creative wheels turning, which is always fun. :)

oh and thanks erin. :)

Holly

6. decor8 commented
    February 12th, 2007 at 3:02pm

that’s true – a hollow frame door could do it.

7. drey commented
    February 12th, 2007 at 3:21pm

wow, thanks for all the suggestions. when i get home i’ll see if the table mentioned from ikea has a sturdy enough base. ok, so now i have great name to throw at tradies “cast aluminium saarinen tulip base” hehehe

thanks all!

-drey

8. Kate F. commented
    February 12th, 2007 at 5:14pm

Re. weight/tippiness, I thought of that once I’d posted–I’d think the base could be weighted pretty easily. If it is hollow and has a bottom, you could either remove the bottom, fill it with sand, and put the bottom back on, or cut a small hole in the bottom, funnel sand in, then epoxy the hole back up?

Ah, DIY…

9. Kate F. commented
    February 12th, 2007 at 5:17pm

Ooh, sorry to keep commenting but I just looked it up on the Ikea AUS website… The leg apparently has a steel rod/plate in it. Might be solid enough as is. It’s the DOCKSTA dining table, $299 AUS.

10. decor8 commented
    February 12th, 2007 at 5:18pm

kate – where there’s a girl involved in a diy project, there is a WAY to do anything, right??!!?

11. elisa commented
    February 12th, 2007 at 10:12pm

the base looks pretty stable even upside down: http://www.flickr.com/photos/alafleur/310383504/in/set-74822/

(some dude’s photo of it in the process of an ikea hack)

12. suki commented
    February 12th, 2007 at 10:21pm

I am just wondering where does Audrey live ? If she’s living in Sydney, then she can go to Brouke Street in Surry Hills, Bondi Junction is another option. If she’s living in Melbourne, she can go to Richmond and South Yarra. She can also try Freedom. I am not sure if these places would have the excat table but it’s worth to have a go. Hope it helps.

13. drey commented
    February 12th, 2007 at 11:24pm

hi suki, audrey lives in Melbourne. I haven’t found anything in Freedom that I really like. Yes, I will make the time to visit RIchmond’s furniture shops as well as Ikea. Thanks again.

14. decor8 commented
    February 12th, 2007 at 11:42pm

how in the world do you ladies know eachother? I have to say, i think the aussie readers that i’ve met – you ladies are a creative bunch!

what are some big trends there now anyway?

15. drey commented
    February 13th, 2007 at 12:08am

i don’t know each other… i AM audrey :)

trends? mm. lemme think about it.

16. suki commented
    February 13th, 2007 at 4:16am

Hey Drey,

I have found a site that maybe you’ll interested in.

This store is just 3 blocks away my place, so if you need any help, feel free to contact me.

Another store in Melbourne:

TO Decor8: em…. I am not sure about the big trends… I think you know more than we do… hahah

PS/ i don’t know the others too

17. Anonymous commented
    February 13th, 2007 at 3:41pm

You might check out this site or any other one regarding Saarinen, the designer. Hope this helps!

~Stace

18. becky commented
    February 14th, 2007 at 2:53am

U.S. Elle Decor had the rectangular top Saarinen version in the Jan/Feb issue on page 125 – it’s the marble top version which is absolutely gorgeous – sure it’s a fortune but it is a lifetime and will it down for generations kind of piece!