Calling All Artists, Antique Dealers, Farmers, Students…

I couldn’t wait until tomorrow to blog about this. Chris, founder of the fabulous South End Open Market, just sent along some amazing news… I have to shout it from the rooftops and you, my friend, need to know about it!

Starting in May, not only will Boston see the South End Open Market open for the season, but Providence will have one to call their very own at the corner of Westminister and Union on Saturdays – free admission and parking, too.

Get involved! If you want to show your work at this amazing fair, use this form and select the dates you’d be interested in participating. (Here’s some vendor information.) I’m already thinking of many Providence pals who may want to get involved (Peggy and Jason) but what about Brooklyn and Connecticut?? Providence is relatively close and has a train station only a few blocks away from the market location. It’s a great chance to make friends and locate new customers, and take a mini vacation. Providence is just lovely in the warmer months – so much going on downtown.

Opening day is May 12th and the market will run on Saturdays until October 27th. If you are coming from downtown, there are lots of hotels around the market, as well as a massive mall, fun shops, great places to eat, and a Starbucks almost next door to the market. Gotta love that.

Learn more about the Providence Open Market here.

Here’s some pics from the South End Open Market in Boston from ’06. This gives you a glimpse of what the new Providence market may look like. Chris clearly makes each market fun and picks amazing vendors. I loved attending these markets last year and I’ll definitely hit the Providence one this year.

Congratulations Chris, I’m sure Providence will warmly welcome you with open arms. Lots of great peeps down there!

I want this ice cream skirt…

View some photos from the market in Boston on Flickr… Fun!

If you know of anyone who would like to be a vendor, please forward this post to them. If you’d like to blog about this call for vendors, feel free to use the images I’ve collaged above -no problem. The goal is to spread the word.

Thanks everyone!

(images from south end open market)

Posted by decor8 in shopping, travel on February 14, 2007

1. IMEDAGOZE commented
    February 15th, 2007 at 7:14am

oh boy, you really made me want to go there.

2. connie commented
    February 15th, 2007 at 11:19am

oh yet another reason to look forward to may! [as if the storm yesterday wasn't reason enough!]

3. Anonymous commented
    February 15th, 2007 at 2:12pm

What are some other Bostonian open markets that i could look forward to (any time of the year)?

4. decor8 commented
    February 15th, 2007 at 2:48pm

Anon – Boston doesn’t have a lot going on between Jan-April when it comes to markets. There is always Quincy market, which is more of an outdoor mall but I still love the center of the market, Fanueil Hall, a long building filled with food of all types. There is also the North End, another good place to go in the winter for pastry/expresso. Not much shopping there, but there is a wonderful little cupcake bakery now.

As for markets, Boston has stuff going on mainly between May and December. It’s not really a “winter” city like Stockholm, Munich, etc. People dislike going outside, city planners didn’t put much thought into making the city more enjoyable in the winter, so that’s how it is for now.

Even though it can get a little depressing, I find that having a break from all the outdoor events is somewhat nice because it helps me tap into my creative side more, stay home and work on projects, and get a lot of work done. Then, come May, you have flea markets from Maine to Boston and beyond, so many that you could spend every single weekend at one.

Just my $.02.

Holly

5. Ms.Crystal commented
    February 15th, 2007 at 3:06pm

I am soooo excited..I have done the South End Open Market many times but living in worcester it is far easier to hope on 146 to Providence and get my butt down there and parking is always far easier…I can’t wait

6. Katy. commented
    February 15th, 2007 at 3:06pm

Woohoo! I’m a grad student in Providence, and this will be a fantastic addition.. :)

7. Anonymous commented
    February 16th, 2007 at 1:04am

Thanks for the two cents!! I look forward to visiting all of the events around New England :)