Dishing Top Design – Episode #3 Open Thread

What did you think of Top Design tonight?

I have to say, the judges looked great on Santa Monica beach. Loved Adler in the cocoa polo and Kelly’s gorgeous dress…

Team Tahiti had a beautiful space but the ceiling looked a little unfinished. It really did need sun protection. I would have loved to see some color, it was very neutral. I like Felicia a lot, she is so well spoken. The Gilligan’s island and that comment about going to the Viceroy for a “Girls weekend, all three of us” was cute. (he he) Team Miami’s roof was gorgeous and I loved all the strips of fabric and the way the light filtered in, wow. Just add mojitos and music and I’m there… I have to say Team Miami got hammered. The judges do not like Elizabeth, Kelly called her, “passive aggresive”. I also liked Team Saint Tropez, what an amazing structure. So sculptural, clearly Goil has amazing talent. It was definitely better than a hamburger shack. Ryan should not have gone shopping. Period. All I can say is that at least they got out of the PDC this week, sheesh! Your thoughts???

So far, I’m liking Felicia and Goil as designers… Michael for sheer personality, his sarcasms keep the show fun and less serious, and when he was stuffing his bed, you had to admit it was cute. Who do you think stands out?

If you’re just jumping in on our threads, you can catch up on what readers think about the show by clicking below:

Episode #1 thread
Episode #2 Thread

See ya later, decorator’s (eek!)…

(image from top design)

Posted by decor8 in reality tv on February 15, 2007

1. kate (pm) commented
    February 15th, 2007 at 4:27am

I hate the “see you later, decorator”. It’s not even cheesey-funny. I couldn’t tell if Jonathan Adler thinks he same thing or not.

Sorry – I digress. I’ll comment on episode once I’m past the “see you later…” thing.

2. decor8 commented
    February 15th, 2007 at 4:41am

Kate, I thought the same thing last week UNTIL I read Jonathan’s blog entry about it…

Maybe if you read this, you’ll feel better?

CLICK HERE

3. decor8 commented
    February 15th, 2007 at 4:55am

Oh, I have to add a comment… I know Becky is going to go off when she comes here tomorrow and reads this…

It’s Margaret’s blog and what she has to say about designing a room around a cat.

you HAVE to read this

4. ** Terramia ** commented
    February 15th, 2007 at 5:52am

I have to say I am enjoying HGTV’s “Designer Superstar Challenge” a whole lot more… no TV cheesiness and I find it’s more down to earth:

Just my perspective…

/T

5. aexuro commented
    February 15th, 2007 at 5:58am

Even after reading his blog – “See you later, decorater” has to be THE worst. Who says you need some canned outro to people? I think its the reality residue of “You’re Fired” But I mean really – theres no cosmic rule that says you HAVE to say something when people get eliminated.

As for the show, I think they must be using backup staff. Project Runway and Top Chef have such a polish to them. The designers and more importantly the hosts (Tim Gunn?!) have fountains of personality. I feel like Top Design is just put on. Goil is the only one that strikes me as having interesting and distinct personality. All the others strike me as just bland and fake.

I hope hope hope Goil makes it to the end. He has talent and is the only interesting thing to watch.

6. Jet Guer commented
    February 15th, 2007 at 8:19am

This show sounds great. Is there anywhere online I can watch it? I don’t have Bravo.

7. decor8 commented
    February 15th, 2007 at 2:54pm

I know the Bravo website has tons of clips and things… Not sure if they have entire episodes.

Can anyone direct Jet Guer?

Holly

8. trudesign commented
    February 15th, 2007 at 4:26pm

I kind of think the show is a joke. It’s hard for me to watch. The designers are not that great at all. Its super cheesy and the design challenges don’t keep my attention. The judges are weird to me.

9. casapinka commented
    February 15th, 2007 at 5:39pm

I thought it improved a bit from the previous weeks. Is anyone else glad they left the PDC? I was wondering about the footage that was cut when they deemed Elizabeth “passive agressive.” She didn’t seem that way at all so why the dislike of her by Kelly?

On my tv the Team Miami cabana looked great. I was surprised by the hatred of the colors because it just didn’t look that bad at all. I liked how they thought outside the box and didn’t use baby pink and yellow.

I find myself longing for Mr. Gunn throughout these episodes although I do think Todd’s personality does shine through when he’s not reading the monitor. He seem very sweet and genuine.

On a funny note, when they said what the prize was: A weekend at the…and showed those plates…I jumped off the couch: The Viceroy, they’re going to the Viceroy! Husband was like, “Huh? Where?” and later I saw it googled on his computer screen and he had entered it into his Palm Pilot! Not that we’ll be in LA anytime soon, but a sweet gesture on Valentine’s Day.

10. becky commented
    February 15th, 2007 at 7:03pm

OH, I just read Jonathan’s blog. There’s his personality – he’s so dang funny in print. And I loved some of his other catchphrases, especially, “you suck, good luck!”

becky

11. paola commented
    February 15th, 2007 at 8:17pm

Oh, and why is that Kelly wearing a fright wig next week?

12. decor8 commented
    February 15th, 2007 at 8:33pm

Oh Paola, I know! Someone should tell her the crimper iron went out of style in 1985! But in a way, I think she’s adorable because she’s in her upper 30s and rocks it like she’s 20 and I actually like that. She’s a nut, she’s whimsical, and hell, it’s kind of fun.
    When I’m her age, I hope I look HALF as hot.

I saw Jonathan Adler and Simon (they are gay married) last night on a live ‘after the show’ thing and it was pretty funny. They both are smitten by Kelly, I mean Jonathan is crazy in love with her, right down to her kneesocks. He said that her hair only gets crazier in the episodes to come. In a way, that alone will keep me tuned in. He also mentioned that he asked her about her shocking hairstyles and she said that since she’s on television, who the heck cares, roll with it.

I love what you said Paola – fright wig – so funny.

13. kate (pm) commented
    February 15th, 2007 at 8:45pm

Thanks for the tip re: Jonathan Adler’s blog, Holly. I had only been reading Margaret’s (who I still like!), Kelly’s and that Production Assistant for the hilarious reality-check of a reality show!

For some reason, I did not think he came up with “See you… “. Which doesn’t warm me up to it (perhaps the opposite?), although I do completely understand how it could funny in the moment. It’s one of those “you had to be there…”. Still, even had been there, I still wouldn’t like it. It’s OK – it won’t irritate me. If it wasn’t such hard, emotional exit for the competitor, it could have been fun (in a campy way) & lighthearted way to say good-bye. Guess that’s what he’s trying to achieve.

The worst part if it is: I can’t believe I’ve written so much about a catchphrase. I’m over it! :)

Oh, and Casapinka: I was so glad to see them outside the PDC, too! I waiting for a true “budget” challenge or or odd structural element to design around, also on a budget. I’d love to see challenge that equivalent to the tough ones Project Runway had.

14. paola commented
    February 15th, 2007 at 10:58pm

Did you get the great long comment I wrote with SERIOUS, INSIGHTFUL commentary (and quite a few gratuitous insults)?

15. Jennifer Mitchell commented
    February 16th, 2007 at 3:54am

I agree with the comments here. “See ya lata decorator” makes me cringe. I’m kind of sick of reality TV (though it’s not reality at all). I liked Design Star on HGTV better, and I don’t like any of their shows. I’ll have to write about the time I was on “Guess Who’s Coming To Decorate.” What a laugh – nothing was as it seemed. It was created by the same production company that did Trading Spaces. The crew told me they all hated Vern who I always thought was the only one who knew what he was doing, so I figured it was because he actually made them work. I can’t watch that show anymore. It’s so smarmy. Gag me.

16. Pudgy Girl commented
    February 16th, 2007 at 7:38pm

Kelly’s crimped hair freaked me out. I had to pause the Tivo at least seven times to make sure it was real. The show is dull but Kelly’s socialite deadpan remarks keep me watching. And Jonathan’s blog, though not as insightful as Tim Gunn’s PR blog, is hilarious.

17. karinga_julia commented
    February 18th, 2007 at 10:26pm

I love this show regardless of how slow of a start it is having. I am full of faith and bet that it becomes the next project runway.

julia

18. Vajra commented
    February 18th, 2007 at 11:11pm

I remember on TS where Vern had modified a dresser and Amy Wynn measured wrong so that the top drawers only opened about three inches. Any Wynn was all like “[they] can just reach in.” And Vern said, “Absolutely not. No homeowner is going to have to deal with this [half-a$$ed] build.” He made her do the whole thing over and she was not a happy camper. But I lurved Vern even more thereafter because of the respect he had for the homeowners and his work. No Hildy destroys a Craftsman’s bungalow for him.

As for “Top Design,” it’s just plain boring. I’m interested in process, plans, color selection, fabric choices, budgets; all they show is the lame-o results. Yeah, like a designer is going to learn that his client is 10 halfway through a project. I don’t think so.

I’ve watched each episode and it’s become marginally better but I have a hard time staying focused on it. I may have to say “see you later, decorators.”

19. Lynda commented
    February 21st, 2007 at 10:40pm

I think I have a girl-crush on Kelly (more about her design savvy, her dishy hubby, perfect kids, fantasy books, fab mega-house, etc)and was digging her dress until I saw the knee-highs and gagged. All the same I can’t wait to see her hair, outfits and, of course, her raised eyebrows (perhaps the botox is wearing off some)on tonight’s challenge.