Q: What’s The "Little Black Dress" for Interiors?

Do you catch the live feeds after Top Design on Wednesdays on the Bravo website? This week, Margaret Russell and Goil were the special guests. You can watch the entire clip here, so I won’t bother recapping, but there was a great question a caller asked Margaret that I would like to throw on the table to see what you think because it’s really a great question…

What would you consider the “little black dress” for interiors? That one must-have piece that every home simply cannot live without?

Margaret mentioned the Parsons table. I’d have to say one good chair, not one in particular comes to mind, just a really fabulous chair that you love.

Your thoughts?

(images: borboleta dress from anthropologie and parsons table from room and board.)

Posted by decor8 in reader questions, reality tv on February 23, 2007

1. Erin T commented
    February 23rd, 2007 at 3:50pm

We have a vintage white Parsons table as our dining table and I love it! Right now it is paired with Cesca chairs with caning and I’m feeling a little bit tired of them. The great thing about the table is it would be so easy to mix it with many different chair styles.
    I suppose that’s how the “little black dress” works – pair your dress with kitten heels, pearls and a wrap and you’re ready for the theater. Pair it with some colored pumps, a chunky necklace and a great bag and it’s girls’ night out!
    Other “little black dress” pieces for the home:
    - a tight-backed sofa with good lines
    - a fantastic chair (I totally agree with you). One day I will find and buy the chair of my dreams. I think that one fantastic chair can make the room and is worth splurging!

2. Heidi Bauer commented
    February 23rd, 2007 at 5:56pm

I would say the must-have piece is having a piece with a sense of history about it.
    It can be personal history or period history, but I think it’s a must have for every interior, regardless of style.

3. Carlene commented
    February 23rd, 2007 at 5:57pm

Mine would be the Eames lounge (and ottoman)

(Not that you need a link)

It’s beautiful, well-made, classic and comfortable. It’s even black. I will never need to buy another comfy chair.

I’m still searching for the Eames lounge chair of fashion.

4. Mama Chilanga commented
    February 23rd, 2007 at 5:59pm

A bench that can be used as either a coffee table or seating?

5. becky commented
    February 23rd, 2007 at 8:29pm

I sure do like those Wegner wishbone chairs.

I love Victoria’s new eames rocker!

I’m actually a nut for chairs from vintage porch rockers to funky ’60’s rattan to that crazy globe thing that hangs from the ceiling (I’ve forgotten the name). Slipper chairs, Cape Cod-style vintage wicker, cardboard chairs, Emeco navy chairs, bistro chairs, Saarinen office chairs, shell chairs, Bertoia wire chairs, some crazy vintage iron outdoor furniture that will probably give me tetenus someday – oh gosh, i could never pick just one!!!

I think Nate is always talking about having one really great chair.

The anti-great chair: Frasier’s father’s barcalounger!

How about a send in your favorite chair for a future post? I wanna see everyone else’s and share mine :)

Becky

6. Emma -emmas designblogg- commented
    February 23rd, 2007 at 9:57pm

Since I am swedish, and very much in to the scandi style, I would have to say that anything by Wegner is a must have. Or perhaps the Bumling lamp, which all style conscious persons have in there homes over here. (http://www.designonline.se/ProdImg/Lighting/Bumlingen_vit_221.jpg)

But an Eames chair wouldn?t be the wrong answer either, they are truly classic!

7. SweetJen commented
    February 24th, 2007 at 4:26am

I think every room should have two things in it: one, as Heidi said, that has a history to it, particularly a family history (Grandma’s favourite vase or piece of artwork, something like that). It gives groundedness to a room.

The other ‘little black dress’ is a plant. A living thing adds a lot to a room, just that little unidentifable, can’t-put-my-finger-on-it-but-I-love-it something.

8. cindy@staged4more commented
    February 28th, 2007 at 9:13am

this is indeed a brilliant question. for me, it will be a piece of amazing, large-scale painting. my room can be empty, but not my walls ;)

cheers,