Objects

Budget Lighting: CB2 Whirly Candles

February 28, 2007

This post inspired me to write about the beauty of the $3.95 whirly hanging candles from CB2.

Budget Lighting: CB2 Whirly Candles
That write-up showed a table display sponsored by the Viking Range Corporation and designed by Barry Rice and Ted Allen, from the recent DIFFA’s Dining By Design event held in New York. When I posted it, a decor8 reader by the name of Bob, commented about the lighting. He turned us on to the fact that the lighting shown over the table below are the CB2 whirly candles. Elegant and simple, but also a budget find. Triple threat lighting! It looks like around 22 mini globes (so approximately $88) were used in the below display, but you can get away with less, I’m sure. I’m thinking these would look stunning on the patio for Spring parties, or in front of a window displayed at different lengths. What a great idea for budget lighting, I love it.

Budget Lighting: CB2 Whirly CandlesBudget Lighting: CB2 Whirly Candles

You Might Also Like

9 Comments

• Reply Bob March 1, 2007 at 1:33 am

Bob here, again. Another tip on these: Unlike the CB2 picture, Barry and Ted used 10-hour votives in glass holders, rather then the less-attractive aluminum tea lights CB2 went for, and longer lasting, too. I totally agree with you that these would look cool in a backyard.

• Reply decor8 March 1, 2007 at 1:42 am

Bob you’re the best, thanks for your contribution. :)

• Reply Neal March 1, 2007 at 4:53 pm

as much as i love the idea and have been flirting w/ it since CB2 first introduced them, i’m still concerned about the effects of a high wind out doors or even a gently breeze inside – will they tinkle gently or smash?

• Reply decor8 March 1, 2007 at 4:57 pm

I hear you, Neal. I think that wind is something to consider, but where I live, we barely experience it, so I’m not someone who would get concerned about this. I think it has to do with where you hang them and how far apart you space them. If they’re relatively far apart, at least out of swinging distance from eachother (ha ha), or from another surface (a patio wall), then you may be safe. :)

• Reply marine_lynn March 2, 2007 at 1:32 am

oh THANKS for posting this. I saw this somewhere else and there was no source or link as to where we can purchase those whirly hanging candleholders. Very neat indeed!

• Reply decor8 March 2, 2007 at 1:38 am

No problem Marine Lynn!

• Reply jetguer March 2, 2007 at 5:07 am

We are looking for an outdoor chandelier to place under the pergola but most are over our budget. This is perfect, inexpensive and unique! I will order about 10-15 to place under the pergola.

Thanks so much for this great find!

Jet Guer

• Reply Anonymous March 2, 2007 at 7:45 am

Oh d-oh. I saw the pics on this blog. Where else would I have seen it? Hahaha…
    I just found your blog. Very excited, because I just bought my own home. Yay!

cheers,
    Marine_lynn/ Lynn in Seattle

• Reply Anonymous April 9, 2008 at 2:28 pm

They are gorgeous. I actually have bought these and yes they do smash VERY easily. I love the way they look in the magazines but have had a hard time figuring out how to hang them indoors in a bunch. Any ideas…so far I’ve tried tacks in the ceiling which did not work well and left plenty of holes in the ceiling! Help!