Real Simple Reports: Mixing Florals

I really enjoyed the feature in Real Simple on mixing florals with patterns; I think they nailed it when they said, “Mix them with colorful stripes, polka dots, and gingham checks in complementary tones.” That really sums up the process, the key word being ‘complementary’.

Many fear the process of mixing various patterns and prints in a room. Layering is actually quite painless. Grab a color wheel and a good book on color combinations, and/or take a color theory class at your local art school. Introducing yourself to new ideas via classroom instruction enhances your life in so many ways, especially in the cold months, it helps fight creative stagnation and feelings of depression. You’ll also make new friends and tap into parts of yourself you never knew existed.

Of course, visual learning through the pages of your favorite magazines doesn’t hurt, either. The more you expose yourself to beauty and good design, the more your brain starts to pull all the pieces together and you find your own creative voice, you develop your own ‘eye’ for style. I do believe that people are born with talent, but I also think developing a good eye can be trained if you’re not one who was born with the ability to effortlessly throw things together to result in something pleasing. Try, try, try, again!

(images from real simple)

Posted by decor8 in Color Inspiration, Decorating Tips, diy, tips on February 28, 2007

1. Chelsea commented
    February 28th, 2007 at 8:10pm

I thought this was a really fun article and I enjoyed your extra insight on it!

2. decor8 commented
    February 28th, 2007 at 8:34pm

Thanks so much Chelsea. I wrote an entire article about how to mix patterns last year here on the blog, it was quite detailed, but I can no longer find it. :( If I do, I’ll post a link here in the future. You may like it.

Holly

3. Anonymous commented
    February 28th, 2007 at 8:54pm

Do you knwo which issue this article was in? It’s so cute!

4. decor8 commented
    February 28th, 2007 at 8:57pm

yes, march 2007 issue (lilac and green cover with white cash register), pages 37-40, titled “Flower Surge”. The images are dreamy!

5. Gabby commented
    February 28th, 2007 at 10:00pm

Ooh, where can I get that great red fabric, I am trying to recover some chairs and I love that print in the second photo!?

6. redondo-bound commented
    March 1st, 2007 at 6:07am

Holly, is this the 2006 article you were thinking of?

7. danielle commented
    March 1st, 2007 at 8:54am

Great post Holly, with very inspirational images. I love the colors. Spring is near!