DIY

DIY Project: Transforming a Grass Rug

March 2, 2007

We’ve all seen them, those wannabe-real grass mats. Have you considered designing your own template, tracing it on the back of the mat, and cutting your way to a new look?

DIY Project: Transforming a Grass Rug
Dutch magazine 101 Woonideeen has a template on their website (.pdf) that you can download, enlarge, and use to create a fresh take on an otherwise boring mat. You can also try animal shapes, from a bunny to a dog, or even insects, like a butterfly. The directions here are in Dutch, but I’m thinking you can use a silver metallic marker because the backing is usually black, and trace the outline of what you want the shape to be. Then cut it out. Presto!

Has anyone tried this project?

(images from 101 woonideeen)

You Might Also Like

13 Comments

• Reply erin March 2, 2007 at 4:22 pm

wow, so simple but that’s never crossed my mind! awesome! i can’t wait to try this project, i will email you the results :) thanks for sharing. i’m thinking about doing a dragonfly.

• Reply Carlene March 2, 2007 at 4:46 pm

Now this I can do! It’s so cool! Like erin says, above, so simple, why didn’t I think of that? I’m definitely gonna do it.

• Reply 2jane March 2, 2007 at 9:13 pm

How do you post so much in a single day, I can’t keep up. I love it! Keep the feeds coming because you do this so well.

Jane

• Reply peanut and planet March 3, 2007 at 3:52 pm

Erin said it well – it is one of those simple ideas that makes you wonder that you never thought of it. I am thinking about trying a Japanese crest design.

It also plays into my dream of wallpapering an entire room in Astroturf. It is probably a good thing that I don’t own a house …

• Reply Jess March 4, 2007 at 5:05 pm

WOW! I’ve been fixated on fake grass lately, and wanting to get some into my house. This is a GENIUS idea. I love it! I want to do it!

• Reply Mel March 6, 2007 at 6:24 am

Holly, you are a doll. I have been trying to figure out what sort of mat to get once we get our entryway redone and this might work! I will definitely try this–thanks!

• Reply alicia_pta March 6, 2007 at 7:27 pm

I just linked over from AT:NY, wicked good project. I live in Boston, too. Great blog.

Alicia

• Reply Anonymous March 6, 2007 at 8:54 pm

ok… i have a stupid question :P any suggestions on how to enlarge the pattern?

• Reply Kat O+ March 6, 2007 at 11:57 pm

Anon – Print and enlarge on a photocopyer. Or print on a transparency and project onto whatever size template you want.

• Reply decor8 March 7, 2007 at 1:38 am

Anon- That’s not a stupid question at all. Go to Staples or OfficeMax with a print out of the pdf. Ask them to enlarge it to around the same size as your mat. Honestly though, I think you could freehand this design yourself without using a template at all.

• Reply Lena March 7, 2007 at 2:59 pm

i love this!

• Reply Anonymous July 17, 2007 at 12:15 pm

A projector or print out is not necessary. All you need is a marker and a tape measure.

If you trace a light grid over your pattern and then a congruent grid onto the back of your material then you can copy the design on a per-square basis for a very accurate result.

• Reply christal.loh May 24, 2008 at 4:39 am

i love this idea…
    will definitely try it once i’ve decided on the mat colour & material…