DIY Project: Transforming a Grass Rug

We’ve all seen them, those wannabe-real grass mats. Have you considered designing your own template, tracing it on the back of the mat, and cutting your way to a new look?

Dutch magazine 101 Woonideeen has a template on their website (.pdf) that you can download, enlarge, and use to create a fresh take on an otherwise boring mat. You can also try animal shapes, from a bunny to a dog, or even insects, like a butterfly. The directions here are in Dutch, but I’m thinking you can use a silver metallic marker because the backing is usually black, and trace the outline of what you want the shape to be. Then cut it out. Presto!

Has anyone tried this project?

(images from 101 woonideeen)

Posted by decor8 in diy, round-up, tips on March 02, 2007

1. erin commented
    March 2nd, 2007 at 4:22pm

wow, so simple but that’s never crossed my mind! awesome! i can’t wait to try this project, i will email you the results :) thanks for sharing. i’m thinking about doing a dragonfly.

2. Carlene commented
    March 2nd, 2007 at 4:46pm

Now this I can do! It’s so cool! Like erin says, above, so simple, why didn’t I think of that? I’m definitely gonna do it.

3. 2jane commented
    March 2nd, 2007 at 9:13pm

How do you post so much in a single day, I can’t keep up. I love it! Keep the feeds coming because you do this so well.

Jane

4. peanut and planet commented
    March 3rd, 2007 at 3:52pm

Erin said it well – it is one of those simple ideas that makes you wonder that you never thought of it. I am thinking about trying a Japanese crest design.

It also plays into my dream of wallpapering an entire room in Astroturf. It is probably a good thing that I don’t own a house …

5. Jess commented
    March 4th, 2007 at 5:05pm

WOW! I’ve been fixated on fake grass lately, and wanting to get some into my house. This is a GENIUS idea. I love it! I want to do it!

6. Mel commented
    March 6th, 2007 at 6:24am

Holly, you are a doll. I have been trying to figure out what sort of mat to get once we get our entryway redone and this might work! I will definitely try this–thanks!

7. alicia_pta commented
    March 6th, 2007 at 7:27pm

I just linked over from AT:NY, wicked good project. I live in Boston, too. Great blog.

Alicia

8. Anonymous commented
    March 6th, 2007 at 8:54pm

ok… i have a stupid question :P any suggestions on how to enlarge the pattern?

9. Kat O+ commented
    March 6th, 2007 at 11:57pm

Anon – Print and enlarge on a photocopyer. Or print on a transparency and project onto whatever size template you want.

10. decor8 commented
    March 7th, 2007 at 1:38am

Anon- That’s not a stupid question at all. Go to Staples or OfficeMax with a print out of the pdf. Ask them to enlarge it to around the same size as your mat. Honestly though, I think you could freehand this design yourself without using a template at all.

11. Lena commented
    March 7th, 2007 at 2:59pm

i love this!

12. Anonymous commented
    July 17th, 2007 at 12:15pm

A projector or print out is not necessary. All you need is a marker and a tape measure.

If you trace a light grid over your pattern and then a congruent grid onto the back of your material then you can copy the design on a per-square basis for a very accurate result.

13. christal.loh commented
    May 24th, 2008 at 4:39am

i love this idea…
    will definitely try it once i’ve decided on the mat colour & material…