Licht op Textiel (Netherlands)

For those of you who can read Dutch fluently, I fully apologize for any damage to your beautiful language in this post. However, I found out about this great project, Licht op Textiel, held recently in Den Hague, Netherlands where a bunch of artists grouped together to design and construct beautiful, unique table lamps and I had to talk about it.

I’m not sure how accurate my story is because I have a hard time understanding Dutch, but from what I read, it appears as though these lamps are now part of a small show traveling around the Netherlands, recently on exhibit at De Krabbedans in Eindhoven. Seems these lamps are for sale, and once all the shows end, the owners can pick them up. You can reserve the one you’d like to purchase for $100,- Euro, and then once all the shows wrap up, you can purchase the lamp for $250,- Euro. (If Irene and Danielle read this, can you please look over the website for me and let me know if I have this straight… Feel free to comment below.) Learn about all of the lamps here, in Dutch.

The project looks so amazing to me, it inspired me because I love the thought of people coming together, all ages and levels of skill, to create something they are passionate about in a workshop environment. Imagine the creative energy in the room, the ideas that bounce from one mind to the next, the conversations, this idea excites me so much. I’m fascinated by the designs that I see here to, and the overall concept, that the lighting is now on tour and available for sale, it’s all very organic and so unique to me. I don’t know much more about the project, but if you are interested, I’m sure you can write to boom.boom {at} casema {dot} nl, as most Dutch I met while in the Netherlands speak a good amount of English. Aren’t these images great?

(images from Licht op Textiel)

Posted by decor8 in lighting on March 05, 2007

1. danielle commented
    March 5th, 2007 at 5:11pm

Holly, your Dutch is better than you think! It is correct that the lamps are part of a travelling exhibition. They can be purshased for 250 euro, the downpayment is 100 euro (the total price is 250 euro). Good to know, all profits go to a good cause (www.mensenbieb.nl).
    Please let me know if you would like to know more!

2. decor8 commented
    March 5th, 2007 at 5:15pm

Oh thank you Danielle. I’ve been practicing a little, and the magazine you sent over has helped a lot. I know this won’t make sense, but reading Dutch is sometimes like reading German to me, I can’t explain why, but because I understand most written German, I seem to comprehend a lot of Dutch words. Does this make sense at all? I seem to think Dutch and German may have had some roots wayyyy back in the day. I need to look this up and learn more. Hmmm.

I actually want to buy one of those lamps, I love them all, but especially love one that I have my eye on. I should buy it and see if they’ll hold it for me until September when I can pick it up in person. Do you think I can plug it into a German outlet?

Holly

3. becky commented
    March 5th, 2007 at 5:30pm

I love the shades, esp. this one:

Thanks for sharing!

Becky

4. Paula commented
    March 5th, 2007 at 6:51pm

Great idea and great lamps! Thanks

5. irene commented
    March 5th, 2007 at 7:13pm

Dear Holly, my compliments, your Dutch is very good!
    I didn’t know about this wonderful project, but I’m very glad you showed us!

6. susanna commented
    March 5th, 2007 at 11:13pm

Very, veeeery cool!

7. decor8 commented
    March 6th, 2007 at 1:02am

Wouldn’t it be great to have a local workshop like this in your own part of the world? I would love it!

8. danielle commented
    March 6th, 2007 at 10:23am

You are right Holly, Dutch and German have some similarities. Both languages belong to the group of so-called Germanic languages. It’s like Spanish and Italian, they have Latin as origin.

From now one I will email you in Dutch so you can practice:).

Let me know if you need some help with ordering the lamp.

9. Another Shade of Grey commented
    March 6th, 2007 at 4:07pm

That looks like so much fun. I wish I could have played too. ;)

10. Design Hole commented
    March 7th, 2007 at 1:08am

It’s so refreshing to see something really unique that isn’t mid-century modern. I’m getting tired of the same old thing. This is great. I hope they have US wiring soon!

11. decor8 commented
    March 7th, 2007 at 1:32am

Yeah mid-century modern is about equal to the bird motifs out there, it’s everywhere so it’s not as interesting anymore. I do love some mid-century modern pieces, especially sprinkled around the house, but I’ll never have mid-century everything in my home (I couldn’t handle it honestly, as I grew up with this in my home and don’t want my parents furniture all over again).

12. IMEDAGOZE commented
    March 8th, 2007 at 7:29am

wow great work, and what a lamp base, I want one like that!

13. scrappy girl commented
    March 8th, 2007 at 4:41pm

Oh, I’m dying to take a lamp making class. If anyone knows of any in New York, let us know.