Licht op Textiel (Netherlands)

March 5, 2007

For those of you who can read Dutch fluently, I fully apologize for any damage to your beautiful language in this post. However, I found out about this great project, Licht op Textiel, held recently in Den Hague, Netherlands where a bunch of artists grouped together to design and construct beautiful, unique table lamps and I had to talk about it.

Licht op Textiel (Netherlands)
I’m not sure how accurate my story is because I have a hard time understanding Dutch, but from what I read, it appears as though these lamps are now part of a small show traveling around the Netherlands, recently on exhibit at De Krabbedans in Eindhoven. Seems these lamps are for sale, and once all the shows end, the owners can pick them up. You can reserve the one you’d like to purchase for $100,- Euro, and then once all the shows wrap up, you can purchase the lamp for $250,- Euro. (If Irene and Danielle read this, can you please look over the website for me and let me know if I have this straight… Feel free to comment below.) Learn about all of the lamps here, in Dutch.

Licht op Textiel (Netherlands)The project looks so amazing to me, it inspired me because I love the thought of people coming together, all ages and levels of skill, to create something they are passionate about in a workshop environment. Imagine the creative energy in the room, the ideas that bounce from one mind to the next, the conversations, this idea excites me so much. I’m fascinated by the designs that I see here to, and the overall concept, that the lighting is now on tour and available for sale, it’s all very organic and so unique to me. I don’t know much more about the project, but if you are interested, I’m sure you can write to boom.boom {at} casema {dot} nl, as most Dutch I met while in the Netherlands speak a good amount of English. Aren’t these images great?

Licht op Textiel (Netherlands)Licht op Textiel (Netherlands)Licht op Textiel (Netherlands)Licht op Textiel (Netherlands)Licht op Textiel (Netherlands)
(images from Licht op Textiel)

You Might Also Like

• Reply danielle March 5, 2007 at 5:11 pm

Holly, your Dutch is better than you think! It is correct that the lamps are part of a travelling exhibition. They can be purshased for 250 euro, the downpayment is 100 euro (the total price is 250 euro). Good to know, all profits go to a good cause (www.mensenbieb.nl).
    Please let me know if you would like to know more!

• Reply decor8 March 5, 2007 at 5:15 pm

Oh thank you Danielle. I’ve been practicing a little, and the magazine you sent over has helped a lot. I know this won’t make sense, but reading Dutch is sometimes like reading German to me, I can’t explain why, but because I understand most written German, I seem to comprehend a lot of Dutch words. Does this make sense at all? I seem to think Dutch and German may have had some roots wayyyy back in the day. I need to look this up and learn more. Hmmm.

I actually want to buy one of those lamps, I love them all, but especially love one that I have my eye on. I should buy it and see if they’ll hold it for me until September when I can pick it up in person. Do you think I can plug it into a German outlet?

• Reply becky March 5, 2007 at 5:30 pm

I love the shades, esp. this one:

Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Paula March 5, 2007 at 6:51 pm

Great idea and great lamps! Thanks

• Reply irene March 5, 2007 at 7:13 pm

Dear Holly, my compliments, your Dutch is very good!
    I didn’t know about this wonderful project, but I’m very glad you showed us!

• Reply susanna March 5, 2007 at 11:13 pm

Very, veeeery cool!

• Reply decor8 March 6, 2007 at 1:02 am

Wouldn’t it be great to have a local workshop like this in your own part of the world? I would love it!

• Reply danielle March 6, 2007 at 10:23 am

You are right Holly, Dutch and German have some similarities. Both languages belong to the group of so-called Germanic languages. It’s like Spanish and Italian, they have Latin as origin.

From now one I will email you in Dutch so you can practice:).

Let me know if you need some help with ordering the lamp.

• Reply Another Shade of Grey March 6, 2007 at 4:07 pm

That looks like so much fun. I wish I could have played too. ;)

• Reply Design Hole March 7, 2007 at 1:08 am

It’s so refreshing to see something really unique that isn’t mid-century modern. I’m getting tired of the same old thing. This is great. I hope they have US wiring soon!

• Reply decor8 March 7, 2007 at 1:32 am

Yeah mid-century modern is about equal to the bird motifs out there, it’s everywhere so it’s not as interesting anymore. I do love some mid-century modern pieces, especially sprinkled around the house, but I’ll never have mid-century everything in my home (I couldn’t handle it honestly, as I grew up with this in my home and don’t want my parents furniture all over again).

• Reply IMEDAGOZE March 8, 2007 at 7:29 am

wow great work, and what a lamp base, I want one like that!

• Reply scrappy girl March 8, 2007 at 4:41 pm

Oh, I’m dying to take a lamp making class. If anyone knows of any in New York, let us know.