Dishing Top Design – Episode #5 Open Thread

Tonight Top Design will resume its normal schedule, so meet me back here later on so we can discuss it. I hope there’s another somewhat realistic challenge, and I’m looking forward to seeing what Kelly does with her hair (of course), what oddly chic furniture Goil will design, and of course, to read what Jonathan Adler has to say in his blog over the next few days, he writes a splendidly sarcastic recap post show.

While I have Bravo on the brain, does anyone know when the next season of Runway kicks off?

(image from top design)

Posted by decor8 in reality tv on March 08, 2007

1. casapinka commented
    March 8th, 2007 at 2:00am

YES. The hair – I cannot wait to see what she does. My prediction is two braids with a Heidi-esque outfit and lace up boots. Hopefully, Todd will scrap the sing song cue card reading and maybe Goil will do something dumb to throw us off the obvious end result of him winning.

2. decor8 commented
    March 8th, 2007 at 2:12am

ha ha love your predictions. actually, she’d look so adorable as a german heidi slinging some beers, huh? i can really see that!

yeah, i’m with you there – i too think he is going to win.

holly

3. AmitMakwana commented
    March 8th, 2007 at 4:05am

happy woman’s day to the respected!
    u r the source of inspiration my friend!
    wish u all the successes dear!
    happy woman’s day my dear!

4. Jessica Marie commented
    March 8th, 2007 at 5:05am

Hmm…I’m glad Ryan is finally gone, I have to admit. He was all talk and no design.
    Those curtains were atrocious, too. Aside from the color, I just don’t like the idea of curtains in a garage that aren’t part of a window treatment.

5. becky commented
    March 8th, 2007 at 5:22am

I pretty much watch it for the hair too, but now I have a new reason – JARED THE CARPENTER is HOT!

Michael’s model was hilarious! Two cardboard walls and a little magic marker. IN TWO HOURS!

The colors were horrible, Matt is a saint, Ryan was right about them needing to purge their stuff, I can’t believe I have to look at Michael and his stupid purples for another week, Carissa is a pain in the a**

Who the heck wants to hang out in a dingy garage and a groady old shed anyway? Their house looked really big. The show was one long GMC commercial.

Becky

6. Kate F. commented
    March 8th, 2007 at 5:30am

Oh man, I LOVE Adler’s blog, it cracks me up. Tonight’s is priceless, with as much talk about fearing hantavirus as there is about the show. He totally sums Ryan up, too:
    Ryan?Ryan, Ryan, Ryan. Bless him, still trying to be all badass and make some sort of mishegunah sociopolitical statement (?) in this design competition.
    Ha! Condescension is definitely the best approach with Ryan, who thought himself so awfully, awfully clever and above it all. Now that he’s gone the show will be WAY more enjoyable.

I thought the design was lackluster tonight, and I’m sorry it will be another group project next week. SIGH. I understand why they do it, with budget constraints, etc., but I like to see more rooms, not fewer!

7. decor8 commented
    March 8th, 2007 at 1:26pm

Did anyone notice how the little boy looked at Michael when he did his presentation? He looked genuinely scared. :)

I’m glad Ryan is gone because I don’t think interior design is the career path for him. I can totally see him doing something edgy and fun in the arts.

Oh Jared, yes he is. I don’t think I noticed him until last night. ;)

I loved Kelly’s look, esp. the hair. She looked stunning. Jonathan did as well, loved the stripes. He looks so young, I have a hard time looking at him and seeing someone over 40. People look a lot younger these days in general, don’t you think? I mean Goil is my age (34), but he looks and acts so much younger. I thought he was 27. I hope 40 is still the new 30 when I get there someday!!!

8. Linda Merrill commented
    March 8th, 2007 at 2:27pm

Holly – didn’t you hear? 50 is now the new 30!

They haven’t even announced the new auditions for the next Project Runway yet. But, Tim Gunn is on the after show chat next week with whats-his-face the producer, so maybe they will have an announcement!

TD suffers from lack of time. I always say – you pay for things with time, or with money, or with quality. They are paying with quality. I’d hoped to see inspiring work, instead we see “the best they could get done” work.

9. decor8 commented
    March 8th, 2007 at 2:35pm

50 is the new 30? Wow, sign me up! I was reading the other day that your youth officially ends when you’re 40. So in 6 years, it’s all over for me?

But if 50 is the new 30, then I guess the fountain bubbles on. I hope so. My aunt in Germany, Renate, is in her 60′s and looks and acts like an older version of Cameron Diaz. The woman oozes energy, charm, and she’s gorgeous. Look at Jacklyn Smith, Sally Fields, etc. Come to think of it, my mother turns 60 in August…

10. becky commented
    March 8th, 2007 at 4:20pm

Speaking of Jonathan looking young, he said something hilarious in his blog about Todd’s “little boy chic” or “adult kid clothes” or something like that. I’ll have to go find it.

Becky

11. decor8 commented
    March 8th, 2007 at 6:01pm

Becky I have to check that out. I wonder if Paola from Mirror Mirror is still tuning in to Top Design. Seems we lost a lot of commenters along the course of the show, I think people are pulling away from it, what do you think? Maybe the show isn’t really catching?

12. kayte commented
    March 8th, 2007 at 6:45pm

i watch the show on itunes so i’m always a day or two late but i have to say i really disliked this episode.
    first of all i thought it was really inappropriate to have a whole show based around a giant gass-guzzling car. aren’t designers supposed to be forward thinking? have they ever heard of green design on top design?
    and the time constraints are pretty ridiculous. so much is left unfinished! none of these rooms ever look “done”. i don’t know, i’m not sure how much longer i can [ay to watch this mess.

13. decor8 commented
    March 8th, 2007 at 6:50pm

kayte – valid points. now that i think about it, what is up with that monster car? i actually liked ryan and his approach with the client – downsize. Did you see their faces? HORRIFIED. But, it’s true. Even the judges looked horrified when they heard he told them to get rid of some of their junk. I think Americans in general have a clutter issue – at least the suburban/country dwellers who have the garages and additions…

i was most disappointed with that shed work space. i would NEVER work in there. I also thought it was sad that clarissa got ganged up on. how could they be upset that she did her assigned task? i mean, she did a good job given what she had to work with (the container store). why were they jumping on her about that anyway? seemed odd.

goil and his dog bed confused me. kelly was on target with her ‘what dog likes to be pulled around on a bed’ comment. Exactly.

holly

14. paola commented
    March 9th, 2007 at 3:17am

Aaaaaaaaargh…. I forgot it was on!!! Am trying not to read your comments. Does anyone know when it’s repeated?

15. chris commented
    March 9th, 2007 at 5:53pm

I know its a challenge, but please give them more time! That time constraint
    was ridiculous…that garage was a nightmare to work with! If it were me. I
    would have thrown everything out, I totally agree Holly. What was wrong with
    suggesting that? I’m a huge fan of living lean and uncluttered…having a
    garage like that would drive me nuts. Well I guess that’s what Clean House
    is for..right?

I know Kelly always looks fierce…but something bugs me about her. She
    seems like such a biaatch, I feel like she is just there to look cute and
    work her new looks every week.

Love the show..I’m totally addicted!

Oh one more thing..Jonathon Adler is great! I wish he were the host, Todd
    seems so awkward on camera.

Chris – southendopenmarket.com