Events + Markets

Hit or Diss?

March 8, 2007

Look at this image carefully. Found this today in the NYTimes and had to share. Designers for Karastan used vinyl storage bags filled with recycled materials as seating at the recent Dining By Design event in New York. Is this idea a hit or a diss?

Hit or Diss?
Would you try this at home? What would you you fill yours with?

(image from raeanne giovanni-inoue for the new york times)

You Might Also Like

29 Comments

• Reply kayte March 8, 2007 at 9:02 pm

i like it for an event or a display kind of thing. i don’t know about it for real seating though. the rolled up newspapers look really cool in those bags though.

• Reply decor8 March 8, 2007 at 9:11 pm

It may be fun to use as a side table in the house, with a square lacquered tray on top. Fill it with beautiful fabric, rolled up… Maybe? Hmm.

• Reply Annie March 8, 2007 at 9:29 pm

I agree. Interesting-looking but not practical. Diss!

• Reply riff March 8, 2007 at 9:59 pm

I think they’d be fun in a kid’s room: chock full of their stuffed animals in them. It’s a colorful way to store toys and lightweight/moveable seating.

• Reply Rose Red March 8, 2007 at 10:02 pm

My initial reaction was one of revulsion. Maybe because they don’t match? I’m sure they were trying to show all of the different filling options, but I would be more inclined to like an entire row of magazine-filled bags.

I think filling them with pretty, decorative paper might be fun – you could even use the paper to cover a less sightly but more environmentally-friendly filling.

• Reply k March 8, 2007 at 11:17 pm

I really like the cheapness and recycled materials aspect of the idea (where does one get large vinyl storage bags?) but I’d probably cover it with some sort of fabric slipcover if I were to use it as seats. Good idea for student apartments, I think.

• Reply Carlene March 8, 2007 at 11:44 pm

Nah. The only way I could live with these is if they were filled with cash.

• Reply decor8 March 8, 2007 at 11:56 pm

riff – hey I like that – a kids room. that may be fun!

k – i have no clue where they found those large vinyl storage bags. I have some, but they aren’t shaped in a perfect square. maybe the container store has them, or they were custom made?

For me, I have to say diss – but for a kids room, yeah a hit because I think it would be a great way to store all those soft blocks and plushies.

holly

• Reply decor8 March 8, 2007 at 11:58 pm

Carlene – Oh yes, cash. Nice thought! Or peanut M&M’s.

• Reply katastrophik March 9, 2007 at 12:31 am

my first thought was unused kitty litter….as a joke.

i use them outdoors with raked leaves.
    or caterpillars…..another joke.

• Reply Penny People Designs March 9, 2007 at 12:51 am

I would say diss – It seems like an interested concept, but the contents would be have to seriously considered. I would cover it personally, I dont think I’d want to sit on people’s recycle-ables or garbags.

• Reply Anonymous March 9, 2007 at 1:26 am

i believe the containers are what comforters come in.

• Reply Linda Merrill March 9, 2007 at 2:19 am

I’d say diss as well. Wouldn’t they squish to nothing when an adult sat on them? Maybe for a kids room.

• Reply fe March 9, 2007 at 5:53 am

I hate it!

• Reply Allison March 9, 2007 at 7:04 am

Too much like those empty lamps that you fill with things, and the jury is still out on how I feel about those.

My aunt filled one with Legos a million years ago and had one in my cousin’s room.

They don’t look too comfortable either… so I vote no. Different idea though. I’ve got to give them that!

• Reply Aubrey March 9, 2007 at 7:05 am

they have seats like that at ikea and when you sit on them, it’s a joke trying to stay upright. maybe it’s supposed to be a good ab workout. but MY initial reaction was that they LOOK cool, but to SIT on, not so much.

• Reply Anonymous March 9, 2007 at 1:50 pm

wood shavings, we have always have a fresh supply from the workshop and a natural material to counteract the plasticiness would be good

• Reply Another Shade of Grey March 9, 2007 at 1:53 pm

I think it would be cool to do for a kids play room and fill them with shredded colored paper of all sorts. :)

• Reply Anonymous March 9, 2007 at 2:13 pm

I LOVE it! At least to look at. As some people stated I’m not sure how practical they would be to sit on, but as far as looks and concept it’s a hit. Why only for kids? Can’t grown ups have mis-matched cheap ideas?

• Reply Jess March 9, 2007 at 2:41 pm

I like it conceptually, but to my eye, they’re quite unattractive! Comforter packaging + old newspaper = trash to me, and I can’t get past that.

• Reply Anonymous March 9, 2007 at 3:22 pm

Diss! the overall recycling concept is great, but a rather unappealing look. Eco-friendly does not need to look slouchy…thumbs down

• Reply May March 9, 2007 at 3:34 pm

I don’t love it as I think it’s not very sturdy for seating. But I like it as a foot rest or a occasional table or seat.
    As for what I’d fill it with, that’s easy. Yarn Stash. Or to make it more suitable for seating: fabric stash.
    It would be appealing to look at, and of course it would be great storage for any knitter/quilter.

• Reply Tina March 9, 2007 at 3:36 pm

Hmm. I think I like it, it is definetly a cheap alternative for additional seating. If done right there is a nice aesthetic and conversation piece, especially when Nana starts asking “when you guys going to start having babies?” lol, but seriously I like.

• Reply decor8 March 9, 2007 at 3:56 pm

These comments are great, I know where I’m beta testing my roll out of vinyl bags filled with recycled bits! he he. KIDDING. This has been a really fun post. I need to do more of these, I love getting your opinion.

• Reply Jenny March 9, 2007 at 8:07 pm

I wouldn’t buy a prefilled bag, but the bag itself if it was cheap enough would work. Between covering it or what you fill it with I think it can look nice, and it acts as a storage & seating combo that when empty can itself be stored small and flat. I’d either store my recycled paper or the plastic bags I save to take back to Safeway in them probably.

• Reply denise March 9, 2007 at 10:26 pm

jelly beans!!

• Reply becky March 9, 2007 at 11:21 pm

I like the statement it makes, green-wise. A similar idea is a chair that Mio makes where you stack/store things in between the seat and the base, like phonebooks, yearbooks, blocks, whatever.

I think instead of seating, I’d do a Farm 21 kind of thing – the clear acrylic table, bought empty, to fill with the things I have consumed but am not adding to the world’s landfills.

Becky

• Reply decor8 March 10, 2007 at 12:27 am

Hey Becky that’s a good idea. I actually do use these vinyl bags all the time, from left over comforters and shams, to store things in – they are great for sliding under the bed or for the closet.

• Reply Hanna March 16, 2007 at 10:25 am

yarn, but not any wool, that might felt if you sit on it for a while! ;-)