Interiors

Osborne & Little *New* Spring Patterns (what do you think about metallics?)

March 8, 2007

I promised myself that I’d refrain from wallpaper posts for at least a week. Then this morning, reader Jody sends me a link to her favorite new papers from Osborne & Little. My favorite is the Marvao from the Miradouro collection (left), a very classy leaf pattern in turquoise, metallic silver, and fuchsia. So rich, it’s gorgeous.

Osborne & Little *New* Spring Patterns (what do you think about metallics?)Then while enjoying breakfast, flipping through the March issue of Living Etc, I see tons of rooms decked out in wallpaper. (Psst: There’s a great tip on page 105. If you find a paper pattern that you like, use the same one in a different colorway in a nearby room. Works especially well if the space is an open plan, you can continue the pattern from the living room to the dining room, just in a different color. Nice!)

Osborne & Little *New* Spring Patterns (what do you think about metallics?)
So of course, between Jody and Living Etc, wallpaper is back on my brain and now, here on the blog. Is it me, or are you seeing metallic wallpaper as a trend?

Americans have come a long way. It wasn’t easy to welcome back wallpaper (and in some cases still causes anxiety). Like a prodigal son, it’s returned and now, to push even further, the metallics are knocking on the door. Hmm. That’s somewhat huge. I tend to shy away from shiny surfaces, but I could convert if used in the proper setting because, let’s face it, what looks good in your home would look horrible in mine, and vice versa. So much depends on surroundings, mood, the architecture of the home, etc.

Oh metallics. I remember my mother hiring an interior designer in the late ’70’s and she installed a shimmering gold metallic geometric print in our living room. Of course, my mother loved it. I mean, our walls dazzled like the set of Solid Gold, total disco tech, the only thing missing was a globe and music playing, think “Funky Town”.

But seriously, would you allow metallic wallpaper into your life? Won’t you take me to, funky town? What do you think of metallic papers?

(images from osborne & little)

7 Comments

• Reply Leah March 8, 2007 at 3:57 pm

I just found some vintage Mylar paper on eBay that I’m going to paper the wall behind our bed with. It’s a deep, chocolate brown with wintery silver trees. I love it!

In general, I’m digging all the silvery metallic papers I’m seeing now — but just as accents, not for a whole room. Gold? Not so much.

• Reply Maura March 8, 2007 at 4:20 pm

YES! I’m doing it this weekend actually so I’ll send you the before and afters :) We’re papering our small entry way with Graham & Brown’s Grandeur in the charcoal grey color with silvery swirls. The paper is beautiful and I think doing it in the entry way where we don’t spend a lot of time will make it tolerable. A note too – Graham and Brown was incredibly easy to order from, they have an office in NJ and they were affordable (in my opinion anyway).

this is the paper : http://www.grahambrown.com/us/store/viewProduct.do?id=136

• Reply d March 8, 2007 at 4:46 pm

Or you could save even more time + money and go with a one stop shopping trip by purchasing the PS Ellan chair and the Docksta table.

• Reply d March 8, 2007 at 4:48 pm

The prior comment was meant for recreating the white room :)

• Reply decor8 March 8, 2007 at 5:58 pm

Leah, yeah gold still scares me. I even have a hard time wearing it as an accessory. I’m a silver girl, and have been since I was a teenager. I think the gold living room wallpaper that I grew up around left a bad impression on me. :) What you found on ebay sounds GLORIOUS. I hope you send me a picture after you’ve installed it, I would love that.

Maura – Yes Yes Yes – I want to see before and afters. I’ll post them on the blog if you want. I love sharing what people work on, it makes everyone feel so happy and inspired.

Thanks D – good idea. Can you post that comment to the white room entry so others can see it – I didn’t realize IKEA had a knock off of that table. Very cool.

Holly

• Reply paola March 9, 2007 at 3:12 am

As long as the metallics are ‘dirty’ enough they’re fine by me. And I LIKE ‘Funky Town’.

• Reply Another Shade of Grey March 9, 2007 at 1:54 pm

I love metallics, but like you, prefer silver, although gold is starting to win me over. It would have to be in the right place with the right accessories.