Green Glorious Green!

Here’s more green to inspire you today. From bold and confident, to charming and subtle, green is a color worth exploring! And don’t miss a little secret of mine below because it may encourage some of you color shy types to stop standing along the wall and participate in the happy world of hue!

Accessories from West Elm, a painting by German artist Anenette Meurer, Amy Butler fabric, and a random living room image that I loved for many reasons – color and the floor plan (great symmetry) stand out the most for me.( You can click on any of these images for a larger view, by the way.)
Even though this rug from Angela Adams isn’t shown in the room, it’s a fresh, modern translation of all of those fantastic greens and blues from that David Hicks space, don’t you agree?

This room, designed by the great Kelley Proxmire, oozes with confidence in every way. I can imagine relaxing in this calm, spacious living area. But it’s also a bit tropical and fun. That lucite coffee table is a bit unexpected with the traditonal wood furnishings, but everything works. Notice all the plants. Don’t forget to add green the natural way, by purchasing plants for your home. I love succulents and ivy myself, they’re the hardest to kill. That’s what I look for in a plant.
Jonathan Adler knows how to have fun with color, doesn’t he? Even the ties he sports on Top Design could be made into a room. Love this bright yellow and green combo, I can’t imagine ever waking up in this room and feeling depressed. Design prozac indeed.

Chlo? Sevigny’s entryway, pictured here from a recent issue of House + Garden, incorporated the Kelly Wearstler green imperial trellis wallpaper so well. I love wild and crazy patterns in an entryway for two reasons. You give guests a major welcome – first impressions are everything – so a hallway with the wow factor means so much. Next, because you can. A pattern like this is somewhat of an exclamation point print, it screams “Look at me! Over here! Look at meeee!”, something you may not want to use on 4 walls in a living room or bedroom, but can totally get away with in a hallway, small bathroom, pantry, etc. In an entryway, this bold pattern accomplishes it’s goal. Welcome! To! My! Home!

This Wary Meyers dining room is fantastic, from the tulip table to the seat cushions, wallpaper, and that green painting… It all works. That is what I love about their portfolio, you see things working together in ways you’d never imagine putting together.

When I think about the color green, I think of versatility. When you are out in nature, green and blue and the two most dominate colors in most places, whether it be the blue sky, green grass, turquoise ocean, or the way mountains almost look blue or green from a distance. Then, you observe the colors around you in the form of shells, flowers, animals, rock, sand… Everything coordinates. You never look at a bed of flowers and think, “Oh my god, nothing matches! Dreadful!”. Colors that occur in nature are so appealing. Images above, top: Vincente Wolf and bottom: Kemble Interiors.

Look at the serene and sophisticated home of an Apartment Therapy reader. If anyone knows who this is or has the link to the original slide show, please comment with that below so I can give this lady due credit. I loved her space. Look at those velvet apple chairs. So inviting.

Now to share a little secret that may encourage those fearful of color. I was a neutrals-only girl for several years, stuck in a color rut just like some of you. How did I get out?

Let me clarify that things weren’t always this way. I didn’t grow in a color-free home, my mother loved color and even today, still uses it very well. I was actually quite the colorholic, I couldn’t get enough. At 21, I moved into an apartment and my first purchase was a pink vintage refrigerator, huge floral wallpaper for the kitchen, and hardwood flooring that I installed myself. That was the wildest kitchen ever. Scary but gorgeous. After that apartment, I slowly allowed neutrals to creep into my life for reasons unknown. Maybe it was an emotional thing. I don’t really know. But it was in my mid-20’s that I hit a major neutral phase. I didn’t understand what was happening to me. When I tried to introduce color, I fell flat, so I just didn’t use it at all. Everything was cream and khaki.

What ultimately changed my perception of color was randomly hearing someone say that the best way to bring color into the home is bring nature inside. If it works outdoors, it will work indoors. I never thought about that in my life, seemed so simple, but so true. It was then that I started small. I brought home fruit and flowers. Instead of mixing fruit in a bowl as I always had, I started to put oranges in a single bowl, lemons in a tall vase, limes arranged on a platter. I always loved to buy flowers for my office at work, but didn’t bring them home much. I changed that. I started bringing fresh flowers into my home once a week, but instead of buying a mixed bouquet, I stuck to a single color, like yellow tulips for instance. Placing fruit and flowers around my home helped me feel more comfortable about living with color again. The 21-year-old Holly with the pink refrigerator resurfaced. I was me again. Color was back!

Now I feel completely comfortable around color and I’m in a profession where I’m helping others to overcome their color fears. So start small and build, even if it’s just fruit and flowers. Look to nature. Start with green.

Posted by decor8 in Color Inspiration, Decorating Tips on March 16, 2007

1. Anonymous commented
    March 16th, 2007 at 11:59pm

That “AP reader” room belongs to Shauna from Los Angeles. She enter last year’s AP Smallest Coolest contest.

Love your blogs, btw! Great ideas.

2. decor8 commented
    March 17th, 2007 at 12:13am

Thanks. Oh and what do you mean by AP?

3. ** Terramia ** commented
    March 17th, 2007 at 12:27am

“Bring nature inside…”
    I absolutely love that! I wholeheartedly agree… (:

4. Carlene commented
    March 17th, 2007 at 1:26am

Thanks so much for these latest green entries! I just love the way you put things together. And I adore that Bantam sofa from DWR. It seems pretty reasonable; you should get it.

Here’s some of my own green stuff:

5. Rachel commented
    March 17th, 2007 at 1:27am

AP stands for “Apartment Therapy”

Great post, BTW

6. Anonymous commented
    March 17th, 2007 at 3:15am
  7. SweetJen commented
    March 17th, 2007 at 3:22am

What an inspiring post, Holly! Green is one of my favourites. I think the Kelley Proxmire and David Hicks rooms are my favourites, but they’re all wonderful. Thanks for sharing these! This post is getting printed out and added to my ‘inspiration’ file for when we buy a house. :)

8. decor8 commented
    March 17th, 2007 at 3:24am

Hi Anon!! Thanks for the link. Just so you know, you can post long links into http://www.tinyurl.com and it gives you the same link back, only much shorter, so you can post it on blog comments and it’s short enough for people to cut and paste. Just so you know. It’s really great!

9. susan commented
    March 17th, 2007 at 12:46pm

Holly, very interesting perspective. I say that because I have sort of felt green to be a neutral over the years. I also connected it with nature, and it just always seemed so easy, and natural, to have green in a room. You don’t hear of green being a neutral, and of course, it IS a color, yet, it still is in its own way. You put into words what I’ve always felt. (I wonder if I am making any sense at all!) Beautiful images!

10. casapinka commented
    March 17th, 2007 at 5:43pm

I remember Shauna’s apartment and all of her found treasures. I think she did such a stunning job. I really love the KWID wallpaper, but I really feel like if I used it now, it would be like a “Chloe wannabe” house. Hate to say it, but the article kind of ruined that print for me. Lots of great stuff here, though. Show us a photo of your amazing kitchen with the pink fridge and wild wallpaper! Sounds like HEAVEN.

11. Jean commented
    March 17th, 2007 at 8:51pm

any ideas where can one get a design floor. Viking print ads had a floor with huge orange polka dots. Any idea Holly where does one get such. Tarkett has some designs -limited and the rest are more designed to kids rooms.

12. Anonymous commented
    March 17th, 2007 at 10:13pm

Hey there! Does anyone know who makes that fabulous wallpaper in the interior photo by Wary Meyers??? The phot with the tulip chairs and table. It is amazing! It was also in a story in this months domino and it made me weak. pleeeeeease anyone know?

13. Tiziana commented
    March 17th, 2007 at 10:17pm

hey there! Does anyone know where the wallpaper in the photo below chole’s home come from??? The phot with the tulip chair and table , interior by Wary Meyers. It was alos in a story in this months domino and it makes me weak. Anyone pleeease know?

14. abbeyk commented
    March 17th, 2007 at 11:46pm

My grandmother 95 year-old-grandmother who is a painter always said that green is a neutral: after all no one ever said that the sky doesn’t go with the trees or grass or a flower.

Green is and always has been my favorite color, but in interiors I prefer it softer. The lemon/lime-y green that is the rage this season advances way too fast for most people’s taste. It can feel like it hits you in the face. In New England, most of my clients prefer more sublety in their homes, but for the right person with the right taste and the right balance elsewhere, bold greens can be great.

AbbeyK

15. GAILE GUEVARA commented
    March 18th, 2007 at 11:02am

hmm, great interior – really makes me look at green in a different light … thanks Holly for being a great resource of information = ) cheers!

16. -Suzie- commented
    March 18th, 2007 at 3:24pm

I like your post. Great work and great secret. Thank you! Very inspiring.

17. sfgirlbybay commented
    March 18th, 2007 at 6:22pm

If you like green, you might like my chair & ottoman – I’m selling them on craiglist SF:

18. Tracey commented
    March 19th, 2007 at 3:16pm

Thanks for this! I’m redoing my bedroom in green and white…so these tips are perf!!

19. gdenne commented
    March 20th, 2007 at 2:27am

Your blog is great. Thank you so much for sharing your insights and vision with all of us. You put energy and passion into everything you post!

Gail

20. amanda bee commented
    March 20th, 2007 at 3:01am

Tiziana, I bought some magazine at the airport recently (sorry, I know that isn’t very specific. Domino, maybe?) that showed a wall (in what turns out to be the same home … lookee.)

There they described it as chintz that they’d starched onto the wall. Something about a vintage find from France.

21. mariah in dc commented
    March 20th, 2007 at 10:37pm

That Kelley Proxmire photo is from the National Symphony Orchestra Showhouse isn’t it? Really love your blog- and you’ll be happy to know that I have finally added some yellow to my room :)

22. Thuy commented
    January 20th, 2008 at 6:08am

can anyone please tell me where I can purchase the KWID wallpaper? i’ve been searching everywhere for that gorgeous imperial trellis, but can’t source it! please help.