Inspired By Green in Salt Lake City

Yeah! decor8 reader Ellen is so inspired by the color green that she had to paint her living room in this fantastic shade… Here’s her note and photos.

“I recently bought a home in Salt Lake City and decided to paint my living room green! It’s an old home, built in 1928. The living room has a cove ceiling so in order to give the room more definition, I painted a border around the top in a green color that is 2 shades darker than the walls. I think it looks really nice next to the dark stain window framing. Just thought I’d share!” – Ellen C.

Before
(please click on these images for a larger view)
After

Ellen: The architecture of your home is stunning. I’m particularly pleased that the border was applied so amazingly straight, this is something I’m forever having problems with – even with a level! Did you use a standard level or a laser? What is the color/brand of green you used? Why did you select that color and shade? I’d love to know more about your decision to use green, it’s fun to hear how others decide on a color, it’s often such a hard choice to make while standing in the aisle of a paint store. Overwhelming to say the least. I think paint selection should be added to the most stressful life events list. 1) Divorce 2) Having children 3) Getting fired 4) Paint selection…

I have a few questions for you Ellen. Why didn’t you paint the walls up to the ceiling? What color do you plan to paint the adjacent room? What other colors do you plan to bring into the space?

(images from ellen c.)

Posted by decor8 in Color Inspiration, Decorating Tips on March 19, 2007

1. decor8 commented
    March 19th, 2007 at 3:02pm

Ellen mentioned why she painted a border, but I wondered if she intended to paint to the ceiling over if she was actually finished – and if so – why she decided to not paint to the ceiling. I always love to get into people’s heads and see why they make certain decorating choices, it fascinates me!

2. Anonymous commented
    March 19th, 2007 at 3:33pm

Ellen you did a great job. What style furniture do you have? What colors are you going to bring in? Seeing a work in progress gets me thinking about my horrible lilac living room.

3. Jany commented
    March 19th, 2007 at 3:55pm

I actually like that Ellen did not paint all the way up to the ceiling. As she did it gives impression of more volume and height. And Ellen, i hope you’ll gonna move the TV away from the lovely fireplace?!
    Thanks for sharing a wonderful room.

4. Another Shade of Grey commented
    March 19th, 2007 at 4:25pm

I personally would have painted all the way up to the ceiling. Cutting it off with the border seems to chop up the flow of the architecture. That is just my opinion. :)

5. ratherbeinA2 commented
    March 19th, 2007 at 4:40pm

I painted my living room/dining room “corn husk” green and the kitchen (which is open to the living room/dining room) a slightly darker shade of green (called “grass cloth”). I enjoy the green, but my husband hates it. He preferred the beige that the previous owners left behind (which was rich and fine enough, but was a bit boring with our beige couch and beige carpet. {{{sigh}}}

has anyone else noticed how cfl bulbs make the green look neon?

6. Anonymous commented
    March 19th, 2007 at 6:30pm

Ellen:
    I’m a green-lover myself so I do like your colorchoice. I would have used another color on & above the fireplace to bring out that feature instead of having it blend in & hardly be noticed. You should bring attention to arhcitectual elements that are unique & attractive which is probably why you liked the house to begin with! Maybe just colorwash the fireplace with a brown tone over the green?

7. Ellen commented
    March 19th, 2007 at 7:17pm

Wow. Thanks for all the great feedback.

I spent HOURS surfing online for colors, but it wasn’t until I actually went to the store, and then hung several different chips on the wall, that I found what I liked best. I ended up using Behr’s “Corn Husk Green” on the walls (same as ratherbeinA2!) and the stripe is Behr’s “Grape Leaves”.

It’s hard to tell in the picture, but the top of the stripe is actually right where the wall starts to curve into the ceiling. The wall opposite of the fireplace doesn’t curve at the same rate, so in order to get a true straight line, we had to draw it there.

We measured it with both a standard level and then a laser level. Once we got the tape up, we just eyed it and tweaked it little by little. We had to do some “optical illusion” type stuff around the fireplace.

I don’t think I’ll paint any farther up the wall because it’s too difficult to gauge where the wall ends and the ceiling begins (and it’s uneven from wall to wall). I didn’t want to paint the ceiling green too, because I think it feels too cavernous when it’s all one color. Plus, I agree it makes the room feel a little taller to let the white extend up.

Right now, we have hung red curtains and laid down a red area rug. I also have a few pink accents here and there (flowers and vases). The colors work well together and it makes me excited for spring.

I’m a big fan of mid century modern furniture and hope to someday fill the space with that.

For now, the adjacent room will stay yellow. However I have tossed around several orange color chips there. Just haven’t found the perfect shade yet. The yellow is safe and will stay for now!

Thanks for looking!

8. Anonymous commented
    March 20th, 2007 at 1:56am

stunning.

9. Anonymous commented
    March 20th, 2007 at 1:58am

I would kill to have a living room like Ellen’s. Two words: Bad A$$!

10. Design Hole commented
    March 20th, 2007 at 2:48am

You can see how painting the border actually makes the ceiling part of the wall and, therefore, giant. It’s so easy to be a critic after the fact and so much harder before. Fortunately, paint is pretty inexpensive. But she did get the proportion right, meaning that the height of the border is good. I’d paint a larger border (or add a shelf molding), paint the walls a darker shade and the ceiling a contrasting hue. But that’s just my opinion.

11. karen commented
    March 21st, 2007 at 5:57am

love it! very unique! i like the border stopping where it does. it makes the room very different and noticeable. i’m a green freak. it started in my daughters’ room, then migrated to the hall, and i just did a bathroom in it. i’ve promised my husband i’m stopping! :) even the background color on my blog is based on behr’s “tinkerbell” paint shade.

12. brian commented
    March 22nd, 2007 at 6:36pm

wow. what a job you did on that room. the dark green band really does a good job at making the ceiling height look lower than it actually is. love that! it also is a really good way to erradicate the architectural form of the fireplace. awesome! i absolutely adore big black televisions in front of windows! smart move on that one! thanks so much!

13. decor8 commented
    March 22nd, 2007 at 6:49pm

Brian- I don’t think she’s moved in yet, so excuse her current floor plan arrangement. I seriously doubt she’ll keep her tv there. I have to agree with you though, I don’t think that border is flattering to the architecture of the space at all, but in the end, it’s her home and what she likes that matters.

I would remove the border if it were my home, but it’s not, so oh well. I think it’s important to appreciate that she sent in her images in the first place.

It’s easy to leave critical comments under an anonymous ID as you have ‘brian’, but for those of us who let people into our world, it takes a lot of courage, so try to be mindful of that when you post on this blog in the future.

Thank you!