Pippa Caley + Not on the High Street

Pippa Caley is a lady whom I’d love to meet. Pippa is interesting and stylish, her embroidered and screen-printed cushions and wall papels speak volumes about just how cool she is. Outside of her work, I found her inspiration board imaginative and colorful, a glimpse into her world.

Pippa’s inspiration board

You can learn a lot about a person when you ‘see’ what they’re thinking. People that are highly visual give you an immediate glimpse into their soul. Just a glimpse though, not much more. :) Knowing a creative type is such a pleasure, so satisfying, instant gratification in a sense, don’t you think? You need not spend hours in conversation, you may never even meet them in person. Just looking at their photography, their inspiration board, their work – you can learn so much about what makes them tick. My husband calls this ‘Alternate Words’, it’s a way of hearing a story, learning about someone, through an alternate means. Often through the eyes, but also through smell, touch, or sound (music, not the spoken word). Telling a story without using words (spoken or written), can impact the soul and spark the imagination. Unlike a novel or movie where most of the details are laid before you, photography, art, and other highly visual forms of expression gives the viewer a lot of creative freedom – you can tap into your imagination, pull new ideas, and as a result, walk away inspired. Whatever the case, Pippa and her body of work, certainly accomplishes this.

As a graduate of the Royal College of Art, her collection of textiles for the home really speak to me. I love that she’ll take your vintage photographs and create a bespoke product exclusively for you to enjoy. This actually reminds me a lot of Michelle Caplan and her mixed media artwork, someone I’ve been purchasing art from since ’05. I love seeing vintage photography used so creatively, especially since surrounding yourself with photos of those that have been a guiding force in your life is such a positive addition to your home, and certainly is a less traditional approach to showcasing your favorite photos. It’s almost visual storytelling… A glimpse of your past.

You can also shop the Pippa Caley collection online at Not on the High Street, an amazing treasure chest of a store with goods from so many talented artists, mostly based in the UK.

Psst: Ms. Caley even has some really cute tea towels too. :)

(images from pippa caley)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts, textiles on March 19, 2007

1. decor8 commented
    March 19th, 2007 at 7:30pm

Freya: Oh I’m so glad you enjoy Pippa’s work. And yes, you’re right, you can’t learn fully about anyone through their work or even what they tell you about themselves, but I find looking at the work of an artist a definite glimpse into themselves and I really appreciate that, you know?

3:28pm

2. Freya commented
    March 19th, 2007 at 8:27pm

seriously, the textiles look brilliant. i don’t know how easy it is though to understand a person’s soul through alternate words, although i can understand its the most beautiful way to do so. :)

3. sfgirlbybay commented
    March 20th, 2007 at 12:32am

these are perfect. i want those pillows! nice find, holly.

4. jamie commented
    March 20th, 2007 at 5:04am

Those are too cute Holly. :)

5. danielle commented
    March 20th, 2007 at 9:06am

I love the phrase ‘Alternate Words’, it’s so true! Those tea towels are gorgeous. I especially love the one with the birds. I didn’t know Pippa so thanks for the post Holly!

6. hiphostess commented
    March 20th, 2007 at 9:41pm

adore this bird design! notonthehighstreet.com is a great website too! will definitely be bookmarking that one :)