Round-ups

Spring Doormat Round-Up!

March 22, 2007

“If you don’t stand out, no one will take notice,” says Matina, a Boston-based doormat that is so bright and cheery, she gets her share of traffic — and attention. “It’s not easy being stepped on, but at least I look cute so visitors notice me, I’m into a powerful first impression.”

Spring Doormat Round-Up!Spring has sprung, and despite the mounds of snow still piled around my front door, I have hope that temps will warm and I can soon plant my window box, flower bed, and freshen my front door with potted plants arranged in various heights and a perky welcome mat. Here are some of my favorites for Spring that will not only keep your floors clean, but welcome guests with style. Afterall, there’s no impression like a first impression!

Spring Doormat Round-Up!Anthropologie can have your guests at hello with their delicious assortment of mats. I checked these babies out in-store recently and loved them all, in fact they have a few additional styles in thier brick ‘n mortar locations. That’s where I’m heading this weekend…

Spring Doormat Round-Up!A few grown-up modern welcome mats from Crate + Barrel. Stripes and floral motifs are two of the most popular patterns for rugs in general, so you always finds lots of them on doormats.

Spring Doormat Round-Up!Somewhat neutral choices from Target online, but their stores have a huge collection in colors that you’ll love, so I suggest hitting Target live for the best selection in mats. That ‘Hi I’m Mat!’ is nerdy, but cute, huh?

Spring Doormat Round-Up!Chiasso is doormat KING of the web. I can’t believe how many great ones they have online (5 pages!), but here are a few that I’ve selected.

Spring Doormat Round-Up!
Doormats that are a bit more on the industrial and somewhat masculine side from Chiasso make for a more bold entry.

Spring Doormat Round-Up! A clever mat from Suck UK. Is it a friendly welcome or a sarcastic get lost mat? You decide.

Spring Doormat Round-Up!Modern and sleek designs over at Unica Home. Love those Droog bunnies – gotta love the Dutch!

Spring Doormat Round-Up!If you’d like to DIY your own animal mat, click here for complete instructions. Fun and easy.

Spring Doormat Round-Up! Wrapables has a few great doormats to wipe your feet on, especially the fruity find above. At their site, or any of those I’ve listed, just search under ‘doormat’.

Spring Doormat Round-Up! Pure gorgeousness from Dixie in Sweden. I love these designs, so graphic and colorful. I could seriously get on a 12-month plan with these guys if they had one. A new doormat a month club or something. What great choices, which makes me think, just where do you start?

Spring Doormat Round-Up! These are Dixie deliciousness as well – aren’t they fabulous?

Spring Doormat Round-Up! Spring Doormat Round-Up! And finally, here’s the High Style mat from Ballard Designs in three different colorways. I love the navy and kelly green. I wish they had it in canary yellow, I think yellow and white together during the Spring season is the best. Their French Court mat is cute and so is this cane pattern mat – this pattern is a huge trend right now, it’s on everything from fabric to rugs and accessories. Love!

Who knew shopping for a doormat could be so much fun?

20 Comments

• Reply Christina March 22, 2007 at 8:17 pm

Very fun! Thanks for highlighting these often overlooked gems. I particularly like the cork doily-esque number.

• Reply susan March 22, 2007 at 8:30 pm

They’re fun…you can be serious for the front door mat and free spirited at the back door. Lots of interesting possibilities for a first impression. :-)

• Reply becky March 22, 2007 at 8:58 pm

Great finds! I also like the arts and crafts/FLW style ones -I think I got mine via the art institue of chicago.

becky

• Reply melanie March 22, 2007 at 9:05 pm

Great post! We recently picked up one of the anthropologie mats which gives the porch new life.

• Reply greengelato March 22, 2007 at 9:06 pm

how funny, i was just on a major doormat hunt just a few weeks ago and came across most of these sites. now i realize the virtue of blogging since i spent so much time searching for doormat vendors and could’ve/should’ve shared the wealth with other searchers.

i ended up buying the “clear path” doormat from anthropologie. i was just going to blog about it but i noticed that they took it down and it is nowhere to be found on the web. it’s so strange how quickly they take down items from their website.

• Reply greengelato March 22, 2007 at 9:07 pm

oh, and i think a welcoming doormat does make the hugest difference. i live in a large apartment complex where everyone has identical “ucla housing” rotting doormats. eww. we’ve received so many compliments and may have started a trend. :)

• Reply decor8 March 22, 2007 at 9:09 pm

greengelato – question – do people ever try to steal them?? When I lived in Boston people would steal them and give them to family members that didn’t live there! Imagine!!

• Reply casapinka March 23, 2007 at 12:14 am

Holy cow this is a comprehensive post. I was thinking of painting my door a nice bright red to shake up the neighborhood a bit (all black doors, maaaaaaaybe a dark green one for the bolder neighbors) and that black and white crate and barrel one would be perfection! Thanks – off to order now.

• Reply greengelato March 23, 2007 at 12:43 am

oh my gosh, if someone stole my beloved doormat, heads would roll. i live in a gated complex so i’m not too worried. i guess i could see it happening in communities that are conducive to pedestrians and porch-friendly. so not LA (where i’m from)

• Reply ** Terramia ** March 23, 2007 at 2:50 am

Wow, fabulous post!
    Thanks for the delightful motley of images… time to go shopping for a new mat!!

• Reply notemily March 23, 2007 at 7:11 pm

awesome post. my favorite doormat has to be George the Dog from Uncommon Goods, although I also love their red flower.

• Reply Anonymous March 23, 2007 at 9:09 pm

I love your attention to detail, the sign of a bonafide design nerd if I’ve even seen one. Who usually cares about a welcome mat? I know which one I’m buying. Thanks for doormat roundup, very cool and springish and a terrific selection for guys n gals. –Kerry

• Reply IMEDAGOZE March 24, 2007 at 5:50 am

what a fun post. I was looking for a colorful mat like that here, but since the choices here are quite limited, I had a hard time looking for the one I like. So I just settled with a monochrome stem+leaf design kind of coco mat. Funny thing, the seller said the colourful ones were not doing well here in singapore, as most ppl go for neutral colors.

• Reply kstyle March 24, 2007 at 6:39 am

Wow you totally read my mind Holly. Was just starting to put together a file on spring doormats and then voila. Dropped by decor 8 and you totally have it covered. The red diamonds are my favorites. Great post. k

• Reply Anonymous March 24, 2007 at 5:44 pm

Is it possible to order one of the Dixie mats to the states? The whole site is in Swedish…any help?

• Reply lindsay Pratt March 24, 2007 at 9:53 pm

The mats are lovely, but I must know where those BOOTS are from!

• Reply Mark Cutler March 24, 2007 at 10:37 pm

OK. I just have to say WOW, this has got to be the most comprehensive collection of mats, you are an inspiration, sitting down and doing all this research, I am totally hooked!

• Reply AbbeyK March 25, 2007 at 9:47 pm

How bright and fun! Inspired by your post, Holly, I added one on my blog.

Happy spring!

AbbeyK

• Reply Annie April 4, 2007 at 3:09 pm

Darn, you beat me to the punch! Blogged today.

• Reply Anonymous April 21, 2008 at 9:01 pm

Love the Dixie Mats is there any where that they sell these in the US? I would order if i was swedish!