Spring Doormat Round-Up!

March 22, 2007

“If you don’t stand out, no one will take notice,” says Matina, a Boston-based doormat that is so bright and cheery, she gets her share of traffic — and attention. “It’s not easy being stepped on, but at least I look cute so visitors notice me, I’m into a powerful first impression.”

Spring Doormat Round Up!Spring has sprung, and despite the mounds of snow still piled around my front door, I have hope that temps will warm and I can soon plant my window box, flower bed, and freshen my front door with potted plants arranged in various heights and a perky welcome mat. Here are some of my favorites for Spring that will not only keep your floors clean, but welcome guests with style. Afterall, there’s no impression like a first impression!

Spring Doormat Round Up!Anthropologie can have your guests at hello with their delicious assortment of mats. I checked these babies out in-store recently and loved them all, in fact they have a few additional styles in thier brick ‘n mortar locations. That’s where I’m heading this weekend…

Spring Doormat Round Up!A few grown-up modern welcome mats from Crate + Barrel. Stripes and floral motifs are two of the most popular patterns for rugs in general, so you always finds lots of them on doormats.

Spring Doormat Round Up!Somewhat neutral choices from Target online, but their stores have a huge collection in colors that you’ll love, so I suggest hitting Target live for the best selection in mats. That ‘Hi I’m Mat!’ is nerdy, but cute, huh?

Spring Doormat Round Up!Chiasso is doormat KING of the web. I can’t believe how many great ones they have online (5 pages!), but here are a few that I’ve selected.

Spring Doormat Round Up!
Doormats that are a bit more on the industrial and somewhat masculine side from Chiasso make for a more bold entry.

Spring Doormat Round Up! A clever mat from Suck UK. Is it a friendly welcome or a sarcastic get lost mat? You decide.

Spring Doormat Round Up!Modern and sleek designs over at Unica Home. Love those Droog bunnies – gotta love the Dutch!

Spring Doormat Round Up!If you’d like to DIY your own animal mat, click here for complete instructions. Fun and easy.

Spring Doormat Round Up!Wrapables has a few great doormats to wipe your feet on, especially the fruity find above. At their site, or any of those I’ve listed, just search under ‘doormat’.

Spring Doormat Round Up! Pure gorgeousness from Dixie in Sweden. I love these designs, so graphic and colorful. I could seriously get on a 12-month plan with these guys if they had one. A new doormat a month club or something. What great choices, which makes me think, just where do you start?

Spring Doormat Round Up! These are Dixie deliciousness as well – aren’t they fabulous?

Spring Doormat Round Up!Spring Doormat Round Up! And finally, here’s the High Style mat from Ballard Designs in three different colorways. I love the navy and kelly green. I wish they had it in canary yellow, I think yellow and white together during the Spring season is the best. Their French Court mat is cute and so is this cane pattern mat – this pattern is a huge trend right now, it’s on everything from fabric to rugs and accessories. Love!

Who knew shopping for a doormat could be so much fun?

You Might Also Like

• Reply Christina March 22, 2007 at 8:17 pm

Very fun! Thanks for highlighting these often overlooked gems. I particularly like the cork doily-esque number.

• Reply susan March 22, 2007 at 8:30 pm

They’re fun…you can be serious for the front door mat and free spirited at the back door. Lots of interesting possibilities for a first impression. :-)

• Reply becky March 22, 2007 at 8:58 pm

Great finds! I also like the arts and crafts/FLW style ones -I think I got mine via the art institue of chicago.

• Reply melanie March 22, 2007 at 9:05 pm

Great post! We recently picked up one of the anthropologie mats which gives the porch new life.

• Reply greengelato March 22, 2007 at 9:06 pm

how funny, i was just on a major doormat hunt just a few weeks ago and came across most of these sites. now i realize the virtue of blogging since i spent so much time searching for doormat vendors and could’ve/should’ve shared the wealth with other searchers.

i ended up buying the “clear path” doormat from anthropologie. i was just going to blog about it but i noticed that they took it down and it is nowhere to be found on the web. it’s so strange how quickly they take down items from their website.

• Reply greengelato March 22, 2007 at 9:07 pm

oh, and i think a welcoming doormat does make the hugest difference. i live in a large apartment complex where everyone has identical “ucla housing” rotting doormats. eww. we’ve received so many compliments and may have started a trend. :)

• Reply decor8 March 22, 2007 at 9:09 pm

greengelato – question – do people ever try to steal them?? When I lived in Boston people would steal them and give them to family members that didn’t live there! Imagine!!

• Reply casapinka March 23, 2007 at 12:14 am

Holy cow this is a comprehensive post. I was thinking of painting my door a nice bright red to shake up the neighborhood a bit (all black doors, maaaaaaaybe a dark green one for the bolder neighbors) and that black and white crate and barrel one would be perfection! Thanks – off to order now.

• Reply greengelato March 23, 2007 at 12:43 am

oh my gosh, if someone stole my beloved doormat, heads would roll. i live in a gated complex so i’m not too worried. i guess i could see it happening in communities that are conducive to pedestrians and porch-friendly. so not LA (where i’m from)

• Reply ** Terramia ** March 23, 2007 at 2:50 am

Wow, fabulous post!
    Thanks for the delightful motley of images… time to go shopping for a new mat!!

• Reply notemily March 23, 2007 at 7:11 pm

awesome post. my favorite doormat has to be George the Dog from Uncommon Goods, although I also love their red flower.

• Reply Anonymous March 23, 2007 at 9:09 pm

I love your attention to detail, the sign of a bonafide design nerd if I’ve even seen one. Who usually cares about a welcome mat? I know which one I’m buying. Thanks for doormat roundup, very cool and springish and a terrific selection for guys n gals. –Kerry

• Reply IMEDAGOZE March 24, 2007 at 5:50 am

what a fun post. I was looking for a colorful mat like that here, but since the choices here are quite limited, I had a hard time looking for the one I like. So I just settled with a monochrome stem+leaf design kind of coco mat. Funny thing, the seller said the colourful ones were not doing well here in singapore, as most ppl go for neutral colors.

• Reply kstyle March 24, 2007 at 6:39 am

Wow you totally read my mind Holly. Was just starting to put together a file on spring doormats and then voila. Dropped by decor 8 and you totally have it covered. The red diamonds are my favorites. Great post. k

• Reply Anonymous March 24, 2007 at 5:44 pm

Is it possible to order one of the Dixie mats to the states? The whole site is in Swedish…any help?

• Reply lindsay Pratt March 24, 2007 at 9:53 pm

The mats are lovely, but I must know where those BOOTS are from!

• Reply Mark Cutler March 24, 2007 at 10:37 pm

OK. I just have to say WOW, this has got to be the most comprehensive collection of mats, you are an inspiration, sitting down and doing all this research, I am totally hooked!

• Reply AbbeyK March 25, 2007 at 9:47 pm

How bright and fun! Inspired by your post, Holly, I added one on my blog.

Happy spring!

• Reply Annie April 4, 2007 at 3:09 pm

Darn, you beat me to the punch! Blogged today.

• Reply Anonymous April 21, 2008 at 9:01 pm

Love the Dixie Mats is there any where that they sell these in the US? I would order if i was swedish!