Design Within Reach Chairs (Under $400)

I’m nuts about chairs and find these from DWR of particular interest because I haven’t seen them in every single design magazine out there (yet). And they are affordable (most shown are under $260 each, but all are under $400).

I’d gladly adopt all of them, although I have no clue where they’d fit in my tiny abode.

A little interesting factoid to share: Did you know that aside from the automobile, the chair is the most designed, studied, written about (ahem!), and celebrated artefact of the modern era? I pulled that straight from one of my favorite books, 1000 Chairs.

These Selene chairs are only $175 each and are available in crystal clear (shown), red (below), and white.

Here are the Marais AC chairs again. We just spotted these yesterday in Martha Angus’ guest house. Available in red or yellow at DWR for $188 each, or select the metal version for $198. Seeing them in yellow is exciting, I’d love to pair either the red or yellow chairs with a white or glass top dining table and the fabulous Imperial Trellis wallpaper from KWID shown below.

I know, don’t remind me… The trellis is everywhere, but for good reason, it’s crazy beautiful. I can’t seem to shake it, and then last weekend I saw it in green while shipping helene m., a new clothing boutique, in Portsmouth, NH. It’s jaw dropping in a retail setting, and they used it only on the back wall. The scale, the pattern, everything – mind blowing. Seeing it in a New Hampshire boutique gave me chills, New Englanders can be so conservative! But, after learning that the owner of helene m. is actually a New Yorker, I smiled. Explains everything. We need more wild and wacky transplants up here.

(images from dwr and domino)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on April 06, 2007

1. Anonymous commented
    April 6th, 2007 at 4:20pm

I have the Air chairs in cream (blue and orange pictured) and LOVE them!!!

2. becky commented
    April 6th, 2007 at 7:56pm

I just saw the AC chairs in the Sundance catalog I received today. I love those! They never go out of style.

I can see why chairs are so studied. I’m pretty obsessed with them and have way more than my home can handle!

Becky

P.S. I never get sick of the trellis wallpaper either – fell in love with it when Chloe S. was in H&G.

3. Jessie commented
    April 6th, 2007 at 9:20pm

I really want the PANTON chair!! Plus a million others…I have a chair fetish too. But you kinda run out of room in your house. Not to mention running out of money also. lol

4. Anonymous commented
    April 6th, 2007 at 10:52pm

any idea where that fabulous red chandelier is from?!

5. Jennifer Ramos commented
    April 7th, 2007 at 12:24am

HAPPY EASTER!

Jennifer Ramos
    YOU’RE INVITED TO VIEW AND POST ON MY BLOG:

6. decor8 commented
    April 7th, 2007 at 1:08am

the chandy is from DWR.

7. susan commented
    April 7th, 2007 at 1:43am

I really like the Selene chairs. I think at this point, they could be declared classics, being clear plastic. Maybe it all started in the 60s with the whole lucite movement? In any case, I know I’VE always secretly wanted a chair like this.

8. Gypsy Purple commented
    April 7th, 2007 at 6:00am

Wishing you a happy and blessed Easter

9. Mark Cutler commented
    April 7th, 2007 at 4:12pm

Great post on the chairs, I was shocked to see that the “Air” chair was cheaper at DWR than Room and Board, who would have thought??!!??
    Also if you are looking for something more traditiional, but I still think chic, there is a pair of wire chairs at http://www.Sourceperrier.com for under $400, you might like them.

10. suzannemarques commented
    April 7th, 2007 at 9:43pm

I think those top two chairs from dwr are neat.
    they remind me of the ridiculously cool furniture at california living on la brea in LA.
    they don’t have much of a website, but it’s californialivingusa.com

11. Anonymous commented
    April 8th, 2007 at 7:26pm

inexpensive chairs? hmmm….eighter you are wealthy or have lost touch with the socioeconomic level of most people.

12. decor8 commented
    April 8th, 2007 at 8:41pm

Anon – Thanks for commenting. I’m not sure who you are, but I still appreciate hearing from you.

I think $175 for a chair is fine…
    And I’m not wealthy.

I’d love to hear more from you though, I’m especially intrigued on your take of “the socioeconomic level of most people” that you consider me out of touch with because I consider $175 chair to be inexpensive.

Please reply with your thoughts as I think it would make for a great discussion.

Holly

13. emeeul commented
    April 9th, 2007 at 4:16pm

John Ratzenberger visited the Emeco chair company on an episode of “Made in America” I saw this weekend. Seventy-seven steps…wow. Philippe Starck even made an appearance.