InStyle Home Spring 2007

The Spring 2007 issue of InStyle Home just hit newsstands and it really delivers with stunning home tours, trend reports, and even a DIY section on how to use wallpaper in far less traditional ways – on headboards, screens, as wall art, etc.

The cover shows American actress Alicia Silverstone, 30, who really surprised me with her eco-conscious home and lifestyle (she is a vegan and actively involved in animal rights). It’s rare to see a young actress, and her musician husband, so tuned in to the environment. From her Mod Green Pod butterfly pillows, to energy-saving appliances, roof with solar panels, her obsessive need to unplug everything, and their recycled bowling alley floor turned tabletop, their home tour is quite impressive. I purchased the issue just to see that. But there’s more…

One of my favorite decorating articles, Off the Wall, was especially helpful because it not only gives you alternative ways to use wallpaper in your home, but a complete how to section so you can DIY what they show. I love the DIY headboad (below), made from foam-core panels cut to size and wallpaper. Swanky! A few online resources highlighted for wallpaper that I found blogworthy: Rare Chic and a very funny name (and store) called Naked and Angry.

Additional highlights from their Spring issue: All of the Zebra rugs, Chinese ceramic stools, a peacock trend alert (looks like they’re back again in ’07!), and tons of yellow. Of course, we’ve covered these trends here on decor8, but seeing their take was interesting to check out.

(images from instyle, mod green pod, naked and angry, and rare chic)

Posted by decor8 in bedroom, diy, trends, walls on April 17, 2007

1. Lynn commented
    April 17th, 2007 at 5:45pm

Holly, was excited to see your post on InStyle Home. Coincidentally, my web site is featured on page as a source for hotel silver on page 141. Shameless self promotion… Speaking of yellow…love the chairs on page 99!

2. freshpinkstyle commented
    April 17th, 2007 at 5:46pm

Alicia Silverstone has been pretty active and vocal about animal rights and the environment for years. In fact, I have wondered how she is making money these days. I can only assume she is living off Clueless royalities? I wish InStyle would do their interior-based Issues on a more regular basis. Thanks for the tip that it is out on the newstands. I am interested to see more!

3. Lindsey commented
    April 17th, 2007 at 7:28pm

I am picking this up as soon as I am off work! it’s looks awesome! I love Alicia. I heard that her entire wedding was vegan foods and everything was organic.

4. Abby commented
    April 17th, 2007 at 7:45pm

You read my mind, Holly! I was SO impressed when I got my InStyle Home in the mail on Friday…I couldn’t stop looking at it! So many bright colors and pretty patterns. It seems as though the InStyle editors have discovered Etsy as well…it will be interesting to see how that affects Etsy’s web traffic and sales.

5. Anonymous commented
    April 17th, 2007 at 7:53pm

Hey guys, I had an unpleasant experience ordering from Naked and Angry. The first shipment was empty, and the 2nd was a wrong order which they refused to exchange. (they insisted someone must have switched out the wallpaper during shipment as what was in the roll was not theirs at all)
    -AK

6. rifferaff commented
    April 17th, 2007 at 11:42pm

So exciting to see Mod Green Pod in this issue. On the cover, no less!

7. casapinka commented
    April 18th, 2007 at 2:33am

Oh Lynn, forget shameless self promotion – you deserve it! LOVE the Tamara Berg necklace – it just arrived. Can’t wait to go get this…wonder if I can sneak out now that the rugrats are aseep? Thanks for the post.

8. jade commented
    April 18th, 2007 at 2:21pm

Holly…….I so love this issue of InStyle home as well!! There are so many great things in there.
    I liked the idea that Kelly Killoren Bensimon turned her Hermes scarves into pillows. I want to do that with a Tiffany scarf that has been sitting in the box forever.
    Jennifer

9. decor8 commented
    April 18th, 2007 at 5:07pm

I can’t wait to see what you all think of the mag after you pick it up – report back with your fave features, I always like to see what others are responding to out there.

10. Anonymous commented
    April 24th, 2007 at 8:42pm

I noticed that when I checked Rarechic their prices are 10% less than normal retail prices for Flavor Paper. Very nice!

11. Amber commented
    May 7th, 2007 at 10:00pm

I love this issue too, but I went to the PBteen website and can’t figure out how to get more information about the photo enlargement on canvas featured on page 28. Any suggestions?

12. CC (Camille Carr) commented
    May 17th, 2007 at 4:15am

I just got a message at my Etsy shop that said I have an item in this issue. I can’t find this magazine in my little hick town. Can someone tell me if they see my shabby chic pink scroll box in this issue.

Thanks